Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:08 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
I've read about this incident on numerous sites, yet none of them mention the actual law that the school broke. They give the jist of it "turn off soda machines during lunch", but I'd like to read the actual law in place.
I believe these rules are in place due to the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act passed in '10 or around there. I think the FDA runs the show on this stuff since they pay for the school lunch program or it may be a combination of both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:10 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Cool that a high school has a bookstore...

Old 05-17-2012, 02:15 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I believe these rules are in place due to the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act passed in '10 or around there. I think the FDA runs the show on this stuff since they pay for the school lunch program or it may be a combination of both.
Here is that bill. There's only one mention of vending machines and it doesn't mention having to cut them off during lunch periods.

So again, I am curious what the actual law pertaining to this cut-off during lunch period is.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:15 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yup, I can see it now. Drug dealers switching to soda, Snickers and potato chips sold outside of the school gates from the trunk of their car. "Hey kid, lookin' for a little Mountain Dew and a pack of Twizzlers?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I'm sure you can do better than work on a belief system... like "In media I believe"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Here is that bill. There's only one mention of vending machines and it doesn't mention having to cut them off during lunch periods.

So again, I am curious what the actual law pertaining to this cut-off during lunch period is.
They don't need to be correct. They just want their whims being propagated, technically, the whims of the masters who are good at spinning and sending these people into a spin. Chances are, it is a Utah law.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:20 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
What is so stupid about. Soda is definitely bad for you. Look at the Obesity articles as to where we are heading. Most sodas have about 35 grams of sugar.
Look at Appalachia and the kids there. Mountain Dew is supposedly the favorite soda in that area. The kids ll have rotten teeth(poor) because i think they say it has more sugar than other soda. It's not one of the required food groups so why sell it to them. Start teaching proper diets at school because most won't get it anywhere else.
But they can get it anyway! They can leave campus to get it, or they can buy it before lunch and then have it with their lunch, which I guarantee most of them do.

But, as I have said many times on numerous threads, who are you to tell people what they can and can't eat?

Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 PM

290 posts, read 176,178 times
Yep. More government interference in education. Good thing we allow them complete control over education.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
But they can get it anyway! They can leave campus to get it, or they can buy it before lunch and then have it with their lunch, which I guarantee most of them do.

But, as I have said many times on numerous threads, who are you to tell people what they can and can't eat?
And they can get alcohol too. Does that mean schools should be okay with that?

Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm sure you can do better than work on a belief system... like "In media I believe"?

They don't need to be correct. They just want their whims being propagated, technically, the whims of the masters who are good at spinning and sending these people into a spin. Chances are, it is a Utah law.
I actually read that law prior to my first post as I scoured the internet looking for something that mentions cutting off vending machines. That one merely sets guidelines of what is allowed to be sold, yet no mention of cutting them off during meal periods.

It very well looks like it might be a school district ruling or contract agreement, which would be why the "law" is so hard to find.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:28 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And they can get alcohol too. Does that mean schools should be okay with that?
So you think that a 15 year old drinking a bottle of Sprite is just as bad as a 15 year old drinking a bottle of Captain Morgans?

Old 05-17-2012, 02:34 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Why are people putting up with this??? Its crazy beyond belief. I do believe we are turning into Zombies.

"But here’s where things really get nutty, so to speak. Davis High School Principal Dee Burton said that the law is disingenuous. For example, while students can’t buy soda, they can buy sugar-loaded sports drinks and even Snickers bars because they contain, you guessed it, nuts. In addition, students can buy soda earlier in the day before the machines get turned off and drink it during lunch."

Utah High School Fined $15,000 for Selling Soda | Video | TheBlaze.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies