Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:10 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

The age group that gave Obama the most support in 2008, 18- 29, has taken it on the chin since he has been in office. They were for him 63:31 back then but now have come to see that his promises may have been aimed at winning votes and not seriously made, after all. According to his economists the recession has been over for nearly 3 years and, yet, the people in that age group continue to see fewer and fewer jobs for them.

According to newly released research by the John J. Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University, only 49% of college graduates from the classes of 2009-2010-and 2011 had found a full-time job within a year of graduation, compared with 73% for students who graduated in the prior three years. Meanwhile, the cost of that college degree for the job they can't find continues to increase. Average student loan debt for the class of 2010 (the latest available data) was $25,250; a 5% increase over 2009.

***Obama ravaged the economic record of his predecessor pointing out that during Bill Clinton's two terms in office, "the average American family saw its income go up $7,500 instead of down $2,000 like it has under George Bush." But, under Obama first 39 months, median household income has declined $4.300 - $2,900 since June 2009 when the recovery supposedly began.***

http://finance.townhall.com/columnis...omy/page/full/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:27 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
They should vote for the ex-governor who was 47th in job creation?

Old 05-17-2012, 02:29 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Yes, because if McCain/Palin had made it into office they would have fixed that economy up so fast that all those recent college grads would be sporting $60,000 per year jobs. Yep. Right.

If you didn't see the trashed economy in 2008 and actually believed it could have been turned around by ANYONE in a few years, you've got stars in your eyes, man.

My daughter graduates college in 2014. My son in 2018. Unless one of them goes into a STEM career, I'm betting they'll be lucky to get a barista job at Starbucks. We've got a LONG way to go.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:41 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
And these young people, new to adulthood and responsibility, are too naive to know they're getting hosed. As they age, they'll think it's normal since it's all they've known.

And that is how America will fall.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes, because if McCain/Palin had made it into office they would have fixed that economy up so fast that all those recent college grads would be sporting $60,000 per year jobs. Yep. Right.

If you didn't see the trashed economy in 2008 and actually believed it could have been turned around by ANYONE in a few years, you've got stars in your eyes, man.

My daughter graduates college in 2014. My son in 2018. Unless one of them goes into a STEM career, I'm betting they'll be lucky to get a barista job at Starbucks. We've got a LONG way to go.
Somebody promised to have this economy taken care of in his first term or he would get out, and I think that very man is trying to get re-elected. His promises were something and many of us knew they were only promises to gain votes but those Hope and Change young people of 2008 are ready to see him come through on some of those changes.

Did you read any of the quotes I put right out there in the open?

Old 05-17-2012, 02:47 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Somebody promised to have this economy taken care of in his first term or he would get out, and I think that very man is trying to get re-elected. His promises were something and many of us knew they were only promises to gain votes but those Hope and Change young people of 2008 are ready to see him come through on some of those changes.

Did you read any of the quotes I put right out there in the open?
Nahhhh, that was the OTHER obama who made all those promises, THIS obama is fighting to win the war on women.....

Old 05-17-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Your kids didn't get to vote in 2008 but if they had they would have been taken in by the Obama promises of the campaign. Here are some words about his acceptance speech in Colorado in 2008. Notice what it says about promise and try to remember just what he was saying. I remember that speech because I wanted to know what he said.

In his "American Promise" speech in Denver on August 27, 2008, Obama promised an America beyond the "broken politics in Washington and the failed policies of George W. Bush." He used the word "promise" 32 times, so this time he must have really meant it – or, maybe he just thought we didn't hear it the other 31 times.

Right out of that link these words come. I did remember that he used that word way too many times but never did count the times he said promise in his American Promise speech.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:

Why even send them to college? We have way too many college graduates and not enough jobs. Money and time would be better spent going to a trade school and learning a trade, in which they could actually have employment prospects better than McDonalds or Starbucks.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:01 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
They should vote for the ex-governor who was 47th in job creation?
They should. BTW, that statistic is very misleading. MA had anemic population growth compared to the rest of the country while Romney was governor (and it still does). The state grew by only 3,000 people from 2003-2006!

Under Romney, MA created FAR more net jobs than its labor force (and population as a whole, for that matter) grew. Compare that to the US during Obama's presidency - where there has been a net job loss, even before accounting for the fact that working age population has grown by about 7 million.

1% job growth with 5% population growth =/= 1% job growth with 0.5% population growth (I am not using exact percentages here; I am just trying to make the point.)

MA has been 41st in job creation under Deval Patrick - the current governor. If these figures were really so bad, MA's UE rate would have been/would be significantly higher than the national average under both Romney and Patrick...but it wasn't and it's not.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-17-2012 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Why even send them to college? We have way too many college graduates and not enough jobs. Money and time would be better spent going to a trade school and learning a trade, in which they could actually have employment prospects better than McDonalds or Starbucks.

I agree about the trades school. My husband is an electrician and spent 5 years in trade school. Worked out very well.

Not sure what "trades" there are for my daughter. She's not much of a welder, steamfitter, or electrical type. We checked out the "hairstyling" school. I guess that's a job. That cost was $16,000 for the year so she's in college attempting to get a 4 year degree so she can at least get a call back for an admin position. She can't get that right now without one.

My son is very good in math so he will be pursuing either an engineering career or acounting. I would have no objections to him going into a trade if he wants it. However, most of the trade work is pretty backbreaking and many need to retire in their 50s. That's really good because right now those people have union protections that allow for that. If that ever goes away, those tradesmen(women) with physical jobs are going to have a rough time of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies