Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:57 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Some folks are quite content to bury their heads in the sand and refuse to accept the fact that their little Johnny or Jane is accessing all or more in-depth stuff on their smart phone or sitting in the food court of the local mall chatting with their peer group.

If we can't see it or disallow it, it's not happening. Yeah right. These folks have obviously forgotten their youthful experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 09:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
People need to be aware of what is going on and I can guarantee you there are those in this country who are trying to get such an exhibit here. Just as there are many people working hard to lower or eliminate the "age of consent." Doesn't hurt to be aware of this and fight against it, especially when it is tax dollars being used. BTW, children as young as 12 are still admitted providing they are on a field trip. Now, what parents would suspect their children would be encountering something like this when signing a permission slip for a school field trip to a Science & Technology Museum?
I think that there may already be something along these lines at the American Museum of Natural History in NYC.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:59 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There are many parents that do not teach their kids anything about sex. In the middle school that I subbed in parents had to sign a release for children to be allowed into the sex ed class. So it was still their choice.
Thats true, but in a free country, shouldn't they be free to make mistakes? Who gets to decide, how do you enforce it? Lots of sticky questions come up here.

I think the simplest answer is to put it out there for public use, and if you don't want your children to see it, they don't have to. But restricting it from parents who want that choice made available for their kids isn't fair either.

Tough quetions.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:10 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
People need to be aware of what is going on and I can guarantee you there are those in this country who are trying to get such an exhibit here. Just as there are many people working hard to lower or eliminate the "age of consent." Doesn't hurt to be aware of this and fight against it, especially when it is tax dollars being used. BTW, children as young as 12 are still admitted providing they are on a field trip. Now, what parents would suspect their children would be encountering something like this when signing a permission slip for a school field trip to a Science & Technology Museum?
You do realize all the liberal countries with very liberal views on sex have much less issues than the United States in this regard don't you? Lower abortion rates, lower teen pregnancy rates, higher contraception use, etc.

I don't get you conservatives. You whine about things like this because it's immoral, but then when the consequences of pushing puritanical views like abstinence only lead to high teen pregnancy and abortion rates, you complain that liberals are the cause of that too.

You can't have it both ways. I don't think you actually give a crap about this in Canada, it's just your life mission to blame absolutely everything you can on liberals, even if Conservatives are to blame for any of it.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:25 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Why are so many Americans afraid of sex?
That's what makes America great!!!! Dammit.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:29 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
You might want to keep this in mind the next time you go to sign that school field trip form for your 12 year old. (Progs will undoubtedly rush the signed form back to school and ask if the younger sibling can tag along too...The rest of us may want to consider keeping our child home that day. )

"Sex: A Tell-All Exhibition," at Canada's Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa, includes screens displaying aroused genitals, naked statues with light-up erogenous zones and video displays prompting visitors to answer sexually explicit questions, the Ottawa Sun reports."
"The exhibit was reportedly designed to "fill in gaps" left by changes to sexual education programs in the region."
"The exhibit initially targeted children as young as 12. The age for admission has now been raised to 16, but younger children can still see the exhibit on field trips, the Ottawa Sun reports."
Better than the sex education my parents provided - none...other than my mother's proclamation that sex was "Durdie!!! durdie!!"

Our school provided nothing.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:39 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,492 times
In Canada sex education starts in the 6th grade, so 12 sounds right.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:48 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Most museums are locally funded, or funded largely by donation. They enjoy a tax exempt status. Much like the postal service, they are mostly self sufficient. I can't say what they do in Canada.
This traveling sexhibit was government funded at a cost of $800,000 to the tax payers.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:50 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
In Canada sex education starts in the 6th grade, so 12 sounds right.
Calling this "sex education" is a euphemism.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:03 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
That's true, but in a free country, shouldn't they be free to make mistakes? Who gets to decide, how do you enforce it? Lots of sticky questions come up here.

I think the simplest answer is to put it out there for public use, and if you don't want your children to see it, they don't have to. But restricting it from parents who want that choice made available for their kids isn't fair either.

Tough questions.
That is what was done with the museum exhibit. Field trips require parental permission. Sex ed classes in schools, in many areas, require parental permission. The parents ARE making the choice for their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies