Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:20 PM

58,736 posts, read 27,080,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The only ignorant person in this situation was the faculty member who was "offended".
Bingo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Couldn't the school have avoided the entire "problem" - such as it is - by assigning the Dr. King character to a black student, or if one was not available, to not assign a Dr. King character at all? C'mon folks, this is not the kids fault - nor his parents. The blame falls squarely on the school for not foreseeing such a possible outcome.
If we can not pay honor on a person such as Dr. King, maybe we should rescind MLK day and re-name all the streets whose names were changed to his name.

Maybe we should NEVER say is was black man when talking about him because some might be offended.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:28 PM

16,876 posts, read 10,539,064 times
I don't see the issue. He was wearing a costume. He wasn't dressing up like a black person to portray a racist stereotype like some of the blackface performers back in the day.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Actually, it would be stupid to let a child (who is innocent and does not know that blackface is offensive) go out into the world in that manner. His parents are to blame for being ignorant, not the child.
The problem is even though it was explained to you that his costume was NOT blackface as you keep complaining about but, just black make up, you can't let it go even though you have been debunked.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:30 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,489,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If we can not pay honor on a person such as Dr. King, maybe we should rescind MLK day and re-name all the streets whose names were changed to his name.

Maybe we should NEVER say is was black man when talking about him because some might be offended.
This comment makes absolutely no sense.

It does, however, show what your true beliefs are regarding certain matters. Stories like this tend to bring the closeted bigots out of the woodwork.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:31 PM

290 posts, read 175,879 times
Ah the brainwashing starts early. Poor kid. His mother should home school him. Let the kid pick a real hero not some fraud.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:31 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,489,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The problem is even though it was explained to you that his costume was NOT blackface as you keep complaining about but, just black make up, you can't let it go even though you have been debunked.
I actually read the story with the photo of the child. It was blackface and his parents should have known better.

And by the way, you DO NOT get to tell me or anyone what we should or should not be offended by.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,477,615 times
Maybe he can break his piggy bank and make a donation to the DNC as penance.

Worked for Ted Danson and Tom Hanks.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,641,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post

Controversy erupted at a Colorado elementary school after a student arrived in blackface as part of a Martin Luther King Jr. costume for a class project.

Second-grader Sean King was asked to remove the makeup by officials at Meridian Ranch Elementary chool in Colorado Springs Wednesday, reported KRDO-TV.

"Each student in the class had been assigned a historical figure to dress up as for “wax museum day” at the school, the station reported."

"Sean's mother, Michelle King-Roca, told Denver’s 7News her son was really excited about the project."

"He said, 'Mom, I want to wear a black suit because that's what he wore, a black tie, a white shirt, and also I want to do my face black and wear a mustache,'" said King-Roca."

"After complaints from a faculty member that took issue with the blackface, the principal asked Sean to remove the face paint orleave the school."

Read more: Second-grader Sean King gets in trouble for dressing in blackface as tribute to Martin Luther King Jr.* - NY Daily News

Now, this baffles me. This child was asked to dress up as Martin Luther King, a black person, so when he carefully puts together a detailed costume including facial make up and mustache, he gets in trouble and told to wash it off or go home? What is going on? When my child was in kindergarten, they were given special light to dark "skintone" crayons and were required to color the skin of all people, which I thought was interesting. Now, when these kids are asked to dress up as a person of a different race, they are supposed to ignore the skintone? Poor kids today. We are passing on our own neurosis. I hope the parents don't send this little boy who was shamed for putting forth his best effort with absolutely no malice, back to the public schools. Too crazy.

What do others think? Anybody agree with the school's decision?
I agree with you...very strange...you obey and it still isn't good!

In Holland we have "Sinterklaas en Zwarte Piet" (translation is; kind of a Santa figure with his helpers who are called "black Piet") and for decades that all has been fine but now some people complain that it is racism...while it is just a kids celebration and nobody ever would bring up the race thing...

Old 05-18-2012, 04:52 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,118,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I agree with you...very strange...you obey and it still isn't good!

In Holland we have "Sinterklaas en Zwarte Piet" (translation is; kind of a Santa figure with his helpers who are called "black Piet") and for decades that all has been fine but now some people complain that it is racism...while it is just a kids celebration and nobody ever would bring up the race thing...
Luckily those who are offending others don’t get to decide what’s racist and what isn’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies