Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 03:09 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Back in the day, many states had laws against fornication. Sounds reasonable to me. Cuts right to the source of the problem.
Yes, lets just make sex outside of marriage illegal again.
While we're at it, why dont we institute stoning, and forgo a trial?
Some of you people, I swear......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 03:12 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
That doesn't make sense. You agreed with a statement about welfare mothers by concluding that the father is a loser?
I don't know about dreamofmonterey, but I would say that this man is a pathetic loser and the mothers of the 30 kids most likely are as well (assuming they are on welfare but, even if they're not, I would say they are unless they had no clue who this pathetic excuse for a man really is).

Old 05-18-2012, 03:12 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,821,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
The term you are looking for is "Downward Social Comparison" - coined by Leon Festinger.
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Well I can't speak for dreamofmonterey, but I would say that this man is a pathetic loser and the mothers of the 30 kids most likely are as well.
I wouldn't argue with that except to say that the mothers are every bit as much losers as the father.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't argue with that except to say that the mothers are every bit as much losers as the father.
Unless they were clueless, in which case they're stupid rather than losers.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:15 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,533 times
Quote:
Let's bring Mengele back, too - I hear he was an avid proponent of Eugenics.
Actually, the Nazis based their eugenics program in part on California's... But, yeah, we need to take evolution into our own hands.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Unless they were clueless
Why don't you make exceptions for the possible stupidity of the father? Or, does your sexism only lean toward the American myth of idealized women?

Old 05-18-2012, 03:18 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,671 times
Quote:
Wrong.
Oh? The way you paint AeroGuyDC could have come straight out of Festinger's writings on Social Comparison Theory.

Or perhaps you think that race cannot be used to elevate oneself as a member of a different race?

Old 05-18-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Why don't you make exceptions for the possible stupidity of the father? Or, does your sexism only lean toward the American myth of idealized women?
Uhh...I'm blaming both the father and the mothers for this. The man probably is quite stupid but just because someone is stupid doesn't mean their actions are undeserving of blame.

You seem to be pretty biased against the mothers.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Oh? The way you paint AeroGuyDC could have come straight out of Festinger's writings on Social Comparison Theory.

Or perhaps you think that race cannot be used to elevate oneself as a member of a different race?
Please direct me to an excerpt that supports your claim but not a summary that also misinterprets the theory.

Quote:
Uhh...I'm blaming both the father and the mothers for this.
That's true, but the manner in which you blame is distinctly different: the father is a loser, and there are no ifs, ands, or buts. But the mothers are "most likely" losers, and when I offered a blanket statement comparable to yours about the father, you gave them an out: "unless they were clueless."

Quote:
You seem to be pretty biased against the mothers.
Actually, I said that the mothers are every bit as much losers as the father. That's perfectly balanced.

The source of your misinterpretation, in my opinion, is that you're so accustomed to sexism and the American myth of femininity that you find equal treatment of women to be harsh.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 05-18-2012 at 03:44 PM..

Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
The real LOSERS are the taxpayers who end up funding these "lifestyles".
And I'll wager it's more than just a few edge cases that pop up in the news.

What is even sadder is that many of these kids grow up thinking this is the way it's supposed to be, that this is the NORM. I kid you not.

I'm in the schools, I see it. I'm dealing with kids where they all have different last names, the mother, the father(s), the brother and sister. It's a real shocker I'll tell you and it's a vicious cycle that isn't easily broken. And it's growing exponentially as each new batch of welfare babies grow up and become welfare moms themselves. Not all mind you but a good percentage.

Out of those 30 kids...how many do you think will break that cycle and not end up in poverty and dependent on the government as an adult ? Honestly, even 20% only puts that at 6 kids out of 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies