Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:05 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,744,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandyPuppy1977 View Post
Also, I find it completely unfair how low class whites lock their car doors when passing through black towns. Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black, no pun intended. Or should I say the marijuana calling the kettle African American. The crime rate among African Americans is NOT "disproportionate" as well-meaning conservatives have insinuated. Let me use a metaphor here: an African American is like the pink candle surrounded by three purple candles on a Catholic advent wreath. Only about a quarter of people in the US is black.
Are you for real?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 12:06 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
We don't occupy Northern Ireland either.

It has it's own elected body and decides it's own affairs.

Northern Ireland Assembly - Home

In 1912 the Liberal Party under Asquith tried to give Ireland devolved home rule, and wanted to unite the North and South under control from Dublin rather than London

As a consequence half a million protestants signed the Ulster Covenant, whilst hundreds of thousands of others joined the Ulster Volunteer Force and took up arms, threatening to fight to the death. The British Army refused to go north and to fight these individuals as many of them came from Protestant Union Families. In the end the outbreak of WW1 and the bravery of the Ulstermen, put an end to any talk of an Ireland united under home rule.

Ulster Covenant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Andrew Marr tells the story here - go to 46 minutes and 45 seconds in the video.

LOL! Okay then.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:07 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,936,635 times
Quote:
Also, you know what sucks about this country? All the whining about racism. This is the real world. Not to defend racism, but I think it's understandable that the Europeans, who had a much more advanced civilization, conquered the Africans. This is evolutionary. But I really wish African Americans were given education instead of the BS we call slavery. We still are suffering the consequences of slavery today. That being said, I think minorities need to tune out of rap and worry about more important things.
Brutally murdering and taking land from Africans was a good thing in your mind? Colonialism caused pretty much all Africa's current problems, they just made countries with no regard to the borders the ethnic groups in Africa kept in and that's why the continent has had so much civil war. If Europe left them alone, I don't know how well off they'd be but certainly far better than they are now.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:15 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
I am not happy with America, while I do find it incredible how this nation built the world's largest economy and a very colorful culture from scratch. If America were never conquered we probably wouldn't be on the Internet right now. However, it's embarrassing how countries like Sweden have a much better standard of living, quality of life, education system, and social service program than the USA. It's disgraceful how much poverty and ignorance live in our small towns as well as big cities. I think a lot of people are deluded by religion (especially born again Christianity) that it's "God's will" that some people are rich and some people are poor. The Dalai Lama addressed this issue at a relatively recent meeting of world leaders. He represents Buddhism, a secular religion, or is that an oxymoron? A third of all Italians who moved to the USA at the turn of the century later returned to Italy. My roots are in Italy and I would consider doing the same if I were an immigrant myself. I have an uncle who had a strict old-school Catholic upbringing in a small town. He always has been very intellectual and this led him to leave his religion. His conclusion is that Catholics in poverty have historically been complacent about their misfortune. I myself have a vision for motivating the poor to start bettering themselves, and stop killing themselves. America has a very interesting culture, but I would rather live in a country like Sweden where people take care of each other, take pride in their history, and have an intellectual tradition instead of a tradition of ignorance and minimum wage jobs.
We Americans take care of each other every time there is a catastrophe (and those around the world as well).

That being said, I, as a hard working, tax paying member of American society do not want to fund others livelihoods. Nor should I be expected to.

Go to Sweden....see what they will do for you if you are not a productive citizen.

I am embarrassed for you.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:32 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Do you work at Target by any chance? Your name reminds me of their store numbering system (I am in the retail business so I know).
No. I just state what I see.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
And as side not while I'm not a low class white I had a personal experience with this. While traveling through a black DC neighborhood and stopped at a red light some black guy tried to lift the handle on the cargo door of the van we were in. I would assume to steal whatever he could, this was broad daylight near the National Zoo.
Same here. For some reason I can't fathom, my family and I went through Detroit instead of going around. We have a brand new GMC Yukon XL SLT with every bell and whistle with that expensive white diamond tricoat paint. We were set upon by several black people. After the police report, the car had to go to the body shop.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Also, you know what sucks about this country? All the whining about racism. This is the real world. Not to defend racism, but I think it's understandable that the Europeans, who had a much more advanced civilization, conquered the Africans. This is evolutionary. But I really wish African Americans were given education instead of the BS we call slavery. We still are suffering the consequences of slavery today. That being said, I think minorities need to tune out of rap and worry about more important things.
Does this mean it is all right to exploit white people only? Don't worry, it's happening.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
I am not happy with America, while I do find it incredible how this nation built the world's largest economy and a very colorful culture from scratch. If America were never conquered we probably wouldn't be on the Internet right now. However, it's embarrassing how countries like Sweden have a much better standard of living, quality of life, education system, and social service program than the USA. It's disgraceful how much poverty and ignorance live in our small towns as well as big cities. I think a lot of people are deluded by religion (especially born again Christianity) that it's "God's will" that some people are rich and some people are poor. The Dalai Lama addressed this issue at a relatively recent meeting of world leaders. He represents Buddhism, a secular religion, or is that an oxymoron? A third of all Italians who moved to the USA at the turn of the century later returned to Italy. My roots are in Italy and I would consider doing the same if I were an immigrant myself. I have an uncle who had a strict old-school Catholic upbringing in a small town. He always has been very intellectual and this led him to leave his religion. His conclusion is that Catholics in poverty have historically been complacent about their misfortune. I myself have a vision for motivating the poor to start bettering themselves, and stop killing themselves. America has a very interesting culture, but I would rather live in a country like Sweden where people take care of each other, take pride in their history, and have an intellectual tradition instead of a tradition of ignorance and minimum wage jobs.
america was never conquered as a country. the indian nations were conquered, and much land was bought from european powers, but this country that we call the united states has NEVER been conquered.

this country was built on freedom to be what you want to be. if you want to be rich, then do the things that rich people do, put in the hours, and take advantage of every opportunity presented to you, and take the risk to step out on your own and run your own business.

this country avoided the entitlement mentality for many generations, even up through the 1970s people wanted to make it their way without the government propping them up. since then however the welfare state has grown massively, and more people these days are wanting the government to send them a check every month rather than go out and work for their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
That's America's problem right now, the slaves don't want to be slaves anymore and the right is using the lower class right as foot soldiers to try to convince the poor that it's acceptable being poor.
rubbish. we on the right want people to make it on their own. we are willing to help those who need the help, but we are not trying to convince anyone that being poor is somehow acceptable. that is the doing of the left.

Quote:
The poor is being led by global elitest who want a more 1 nation government, getting rid of jesus in the school was a way for the poor to demand more and not be some unsuitable for change, the bible was used as a tool in the old days to keep the poor blacks happy and content.
again more from the left.

Quote:
Dems/ Reps the rich ones admire china for having such a large and LOYAL poor class. America would kill for that but the poor are demanding more assistance and that's driving the REPS crazy...
again rubbish.

Quote:
America needs the illegals and poor to do the low end work... we can stop free health care for illegals and so forth but getting right of all the benefits for the poor it's still cheaper than hiring americans to do the low end work, most americans don't and won't do those jobs.
too many people these days dont want to do the low paying jobs to get work experience. young people graduate college these days and expect to immediately get into a job in their field paying $60,000+ per year with every benefit known to man. your grandparents had a word for those low paying jobs, they called it opportunity.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:21 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times
Rich people are poor people who didn't like being poor and got off their lazy a$$es and did something about it.
The other option is to do nothing and complain because you don't have as much of anything as the guy who worked and succeeded...
Easier to complain and ask for handouts...
Every poor person is born with the same opportunity. I was born and raised poor. didn't care much for that, so I got an education, worked my butt off and live a pretty good life.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:37 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
All empires are built on slavery- The low wage earners are modern slaves. The problem with nations dependent on slavery- such as China and America is- that an elite that does not treat it's slaves with kindness and respect- Is a nation that will not stand nor and empire that will endure time.

That does not justify the continued exploitation of people for financial gain.

The entire concept of "Empire Building" has pretty gone from strategic policies of countries since the collapse of colonialism. One of the reasons it's collapse is it too expensive to sustain on the long term basis and you can't do it without subjugating and exploiting human beings.

When you know better you should do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies