U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:02 PM

47 posts, read 84,367 times

Advertisements

I am not happy with America, while I do find it incredible how this nation built the world's largest economy and a very colorful culture from scratch. If America were never conquered we probably wouldn't be on the Internet right now. However, it's embarrassing how countries like Sweden have a much better standard of living, quality of life, education system, and social service program than the USA. It's disgraceful how much poverty and ignorance live in our small towns as well as big cities. I think a lot of people are deluded by religion (especially born again Christianity) that it's "God's will" that some people are rich and some people are poor. The Dalai Lama addressed this issue at a relatively recent meeting of world leaders. He represents Buddhism, a secular religion, or is that an oxymoron? A third of all Italians who moved to the USA at the turn of the century later returned to Italy. My roots are in Italy and I would consider doing the same if I were an immigrant myself. I have an uncle who had a strict old-school Catholic upbringing in a small town. He always has been very intellectual and this led him to leave his religion. His conclusion is that Catholics in poverty have historically been complacent about their misfortune. I myself have a vision for motivating the poor to start bettering themselves, and stop killing themselves. America has a very interesting culture, but I would rather live in a country like Sweden where people take care of each other, take pride in their history, and have an intellectual tradition instead of a tradition of ignorance and minimum wage jobs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 11:04 PM

15,168 posts, read 8,894,071 times
Which countries were not built on exploiting poor people?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:06 PM

10,568 posts, read 12,095,018 times
All empires are built on slavery- The low wage earners are modern slaves. The problem with nations dependent on slavery- such as China and America is- that an elite that does not treat it's slaves with kindness and respect- Is a nation that will not stand nor and empire that will endure time.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:07 PM

13,893 posts, read 12,904,044 times
Helllllllloooooooooooooo!

It's up to people to better their lives and make something of themselves.

I would be ashamed to think my government would do that for me.

My parents and grandparents were very poor, but they were never exploited. They worked hard and were happy. As a child, I had no clue we were poor. We were taught ethics and morals, both of which are lacking in today's America.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:10 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,726,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandyPuppy1977 View Post
I would rather live... where people take care of each other...
That just means that the talented are exploited. Either the poor get exploited, or the talented get exploited. I prefer the outcome when the poor get exploited.

I'm quite certain that poor people didn't pay for the paintings of the Sistine Chapel.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:11 PM

10,568 posts, read 12,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Which countries were not built on exploiting poor people?
All nations are dependent of exploiting the poor- Look at our banking system- the poor get fined for being short of funds when they write a check...while the rich benefit from the poor- Even our poorest who are on welfare and have drug benefits...support big pharma with the millions of dollars that come through the taxing system...filtered through the poor and then given to rich pharma companies...It's a huge money laundering operation.

I am talking about Canadian style social assistance- drugs that are not needed by the poor are prescribed willy nilly- Look at the oxycoden addiction problem in CANADA...TAX DOLLARS BUYING ADDICTIVE DRUGS FOR THE POOR--AND THE MONEY GOING TO THE RICH...quite the scam.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 PM

It saddens me that the British Empire has started to disappear, while the American Empire has gained the upper hand since 1945. The UK is a country with much better human development than the US. America was built on "freedom" but continued the practice of slavery long after the oppressive Brits scrapped it.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,726,715 times
Quote:
It saddens me that the British Empire has started to disappear, while the American Empire has gained the upper hand since 1945. The UK is a country with much better human development than the US.
Don't worry; America is declining while Asians are rising, and the Asian countries don't have reputations as humanitarians.

There might be a pattern here...

Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 PM

15,168 posts, read 8,894,071 times
Quote:
It saddens me that the British Empire has started to disappear, while the American Empire has gained the upper hand since 1945. The UK is a country with much better human development than the US. America was built on "freedom" but continued the practice of slavery long after the oppressive Brits scrapped it.
Does the US occupy Northern Ireland?

Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 PM

Also, you know what sucks about this country? All the whining about racism. This is the real world. Not to defend racism, but I think it's understandable that the Europeans, who had a much more advanced civilization, conquered the Africans. This is evolutionary. But I really wish African Americans were given education instead of the BS we call slavery. We still are suffering the consequences of slavery today. That being said, I think minorities need to tune out of rap and worry about more important things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies