Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 05:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
How come it's okay to show extreme graphic violence on TV, but not a woman breastfeeding?
You can have a breastfeeding channel if you want, but in public it is a bit much.

Quote:
How come rape is considered a more serious crime than murder?
Rape is not more serious than murder. Don't know where you got that.

Quote:
How come violence is glorified when it's for a just cause, but sex is seen as a necessarily evil, that everyone actually enjoys but pretends to hate?
If violence is for a just cause that is why it would be glorified, you answered yourself.
Man, you must have sucky sex to think it is seen as evil.

Obviously your not getting the differences.
War can be good.
Pap-smear or breast feeding in the outdoor food court might not be appropriate.
Sex in your bedroom I hope is good.
Having sex outside a grade school against the tree while third graders watch is not appropriate.

There is a right time and a wrong time for that kind of stuff. Did I help or would you like more examples?

Old 05-20-2012, 05:54 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
IMO rape would be worse than murder only because the victim has to live with it for the rest of their life. At least a murder victim ain't gonna be waking up in cold sweats every night because of traumatic stress.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Obviously your not getting the differences.
War can be good.
Pap-smear or breast feeding in the outdoor food court might not be appropriate.
Sex in your bedroom I hope is good.
Having sex outside a grade school against the tree while third graders watch is not appropriate.

There is a right time and a wrong time for that kind of stuff. Did I help or would you like more examples?

I wouldn't ever go that far, now I would say it could be needed to bring about a better situation, or disable terrorist networks, for instance. But I would not use the term "good", anymore than I'd refer to a colonoscopy as good.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:09 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Interesting points. Perhaps the ultimate act of violence is not respecting boundaries. Fantasies, IMO, often involve crossing boundaries, in a situation where BOTH parties are 100% aware its not their real persona, nor the persona they would actually wish to be like. Its no different than playing a role in a movie that is 100% against the grain of what one is like.
I dunno, I think rape is pretty damn serious, but at the same time, I find those cases in the Middle East where people pour acid in women's faces quite a bit WORSE than rape. And I agree that rape fantasy is totally different from the real thing, just like playing a FPS doesn't mean you're gonna go out and murder someone.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
IMO rape would be worse than murder only because the victim has to live with it for the rest of their life. At least a murder victim ain't gonna be waking up in cold sweats every night because of traumatic stress.
So the soldiers that come back from the war, the ones that died over there are the lucky ones?

Old 05-20-2012, 06:14 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
I dunno, I think rape is pretty damn serious, but at the same time, I find those cases in the Middle East where people pour acid in women's faces quite a bit WORSE than rape. And I agree that rape fantasy is totally different from the real thing, just like playing a FPS doesn't mean you're gonna go out and murder someone.

yes rape is very serious, and too many times in my life since that day I have wished i was dead. I am glad i am alive now, but still look forward to once again getting some peace for myself. also, rape counseling for men in the USA is almost no existent, as alot of people think that rape to men cant happen.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yes rape is very serious, and too many times in my life since that day I have wished i was dead. I am glad i am alive now, but still look forward to once again getting some peace for myself. also, rape counseling for men in the USA is almost no existent, as alot of people think that rape to men cant happen.
Not to be offensive or anything but I think man on man rape is a bit different too, especially if it's heterosexual men doing the rape. That probably is more 'power' based than man on woman or (happens more often than you'd think) woman on man, since it's not even what they are orientated too, but imo when people say rape has nothing to do with sex at all in every case, that's just trying too hard to be politically correct.

I'm glad you are happy to be alive! I haven't been raped but I do suffer from OCD and often I have wished I was dead too, even though I haven't been victimized by another person, my own mind victimizes me constantly.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:23 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Not to be offensive or anything but I think man on man rape is a bit different too, especially if it's heterosexual men doing the rape. That probably is more 'power' based, but imo when people say rape has nothing to do with sex at all in every case, that's just trying too hard to be politically correct.

rape is nothing about sex at all. believe me when i say I know. yes it was hetero men that did that crime on me, and yes 2 of the 6 were caught. I still live in fear some nights, and wake up quite a bit in sweats. sometimes it is hard to believe that an american soldier could actually have that happen to him by other soldiers. but that is what happen. other details i will leave out. but rape is not about sex at all. some day I will even get counseling on it, if i ever find one that helps men.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:38 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Quote:
So the soldiers that come back from the war, the ones that died over there are the lucky ones?
Depends on the soldier you ask.

There's also a difference between dying in war and murder.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:43 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,378 times
Quote:
How come rape is considered a more serious crime than murder?

On average, the sentences for murder are much harsher than sentences for rape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies