Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,867 times

Advertisements

I think its just a small group voicing their opinion that multiculturalism doesnt work through non-violent means
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Sure I've heard people make comments about minorities, but it's nowhere near the anger and frequency that I see it online.

Are the people who post online a small minority or is it that I just happen to live in an area that doesn't have bad feelings towards minorities? The few times I do hear it in person the speaker usually gets called out on it, not always, but most of the times. Is my area more politically correct?
LOL..you already know.

I'm definitely not trying to hear it. If you have racist feelings, then just keep it to yourself and move on. Don't tell me about it because i'm not interested and don't care. But if we're having dealings of some sort, i expect to be treated in the same manner that i'm treating you regardless of your feelings on race. I work with some racist people that i KNOW are racists...but they don't express it at the job and so long as they don't, everything is cool.

I just recently had to get on a clown around here that kept saying r*ghead over and over again in reference to Arabs, and it was really getting on my nerves. He didn't like getting called out, but he certainly wants to keep his job.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:22 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Sure I've heard people make comments about minorities, but it's nowhere near the anger and frequency that I see it online.

Are the people who post online a small minority or is it that I just happen to live in an area that doesn't have bad feelings towards minorities? The few times I do hear it in person the speaker usually gets called out on it, not always, but most of the times. Is my area more politically correct?
It’s funny you mention this. In the real world there is actions and reactions. On the internet there is venting or saying what they really want to say without repercussions.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:29 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:

When I was out and about this weekend, I too saw people of all colors getting along just great. I think when you have an open forum it draws flies, nats, no'see'ums, trolls, & misfits.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:11 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
What about the 7 whites that went out and looked for a black man to kill?

White Teens Murder Black Man In MS (Graphic Warning) - YouTube

That's a hate crime.

Any hate crime, committed by someone black or white, is bad.

EVERYBODY who commits a hate crime needs to be locked up.
Ok; those losers need to be nailed. But it doesn't change the fact Blacks are MUCH more likely to commit hate crimes against Asians and white people.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:25 AM

983 posts, read 3,598,553 times
Quote:

Because America is a very racist (not always in a hateful, bigoted sense of the word) country yet everybody's taught to not talk about it in public and to be "colorblind" and act as if we were in a postracial era.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:25 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Well its only natural. In the real world you dont see repubs and dems getting in each others faces like you do online either.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:27 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
anonymity has its rewards for some....

Just think, a loser in a trailer can pretend to be the prince of ghana
lol.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It’s funny you mention this. In the real world there is actions and reactions. On the internet there is venting or saying what they really want to say without repercussions.
In regards to the OP questions I agree with the above. There is no one to react to prejudiced/racist comments on the internet so people are more likely to say/write prejudiced/racists comments versus saying them where the majority will shut them down or embarrass them.

Quote:
I live in a big city and a professor once mentioned to me that we (Chicagoans) live in a bubble. He said that what we consider offensive or backwards, other areas of the US find acceptable. So I'm not sure if this is true or not. There are some circles in Chicago where you can make openly racist comments, but they are rare, for the most part people will call you out on it.
In regards to your comments, I actually find them interesting since my husband is from Chicago (we are black) and he has actually scared me about how racist Chicago is. We were looking to move there for a job relocation and I am actually happy that we are not going to be going there even though I think it is a beautiful city, but it is very much segregated and it would have been difficult for me to send my kids to school with people who aren't black. I found it kind of disturbing that CPS puts the racial background percentage of all schools on its website. I have never seen this done in other school systems. I currently live in Atlanta and I am surprised that Atlanta, which is in the south, which gets a bad rap on racial issues, is not as segregated as I have experienced in Chicago where I have never seen a white person at all in my mother in law's neighborhood. She lives in a much better neighborhood crimewise than where I live in Atlanta and we actually have white people and hispanics and even a couple of Asians who live in my neighborhood and we all get along decently enough.

Maybe you don't hear it talked about, but I wonder do you see it in your metro area, basically institutional/historal racism where vast stereotypes and prejudices exist in your area. I thought it was just me in regards to my feelings about Chicago, but I have found quite a few of the people I know who have lived there, or who like me have in-laws there see that there is a lot of hang ups on race there.

I see a lot of historical segregation here in Atlanta as well but it seems that in a lot of areas (except SW Atlanta, which is very heavily black, but which also has a lot of wealthy black neighborhoods) there is less seperation of ethnicities here than Chicago. Public schools though are segregated here in Atlanta too, just like Chicago, but at least APS doesn't give a racial background of a school population, which was just crazy IMO when I was researching schools since I feel schools should be judged by academic programs, extra-curriculars, and testing scores versus what percentage of white, black, Asian, or Hispanic attend the school.

FWIW, I talk very openly about race with people I know and as such, I am somewhat of a "token black" person with my white friends to ask about racial (black) things. Quite a few times they were upset when I didn't agree with them because I am not one to change my view depending on the audience, which I admit a lot of black people who I know do. They will say one thing in front of white friends/associates then behind those people's back will joke about stuff they told them. I have lost a few friends over my views (one about the Confederate flag with a co-worker of mine from Louisiana comes to mind because she felt I insulted her southern heritage) and I have people never speak to me again due to them asking me something and me being honest with my response so I can see why those who hold prejudiced views about minorities (I admit I am prejudice against illegal immigrants, illegal being the key word here) are less apt to share them IRL.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 AM

52 posts, read 45,454 times
Quote:

If white men thought they could get away with racism, that is, the in your face racism, the direct racial insults to a black man's face, then they would do it.

However they know full well that this woud result in a clash which could well end up in him getting killed, beaten down or he would have to beat down the black guy. All in all insulting online is easier and safer. Although even online cussing is not a 100% bullet proof. As there have been cases in the UK where people have been tracked

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/uk_studen...tter_1_1331555
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies