Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,075,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I guess I should just let the people with an agenda tell me I'm wrong. (Because those people are going to HATE knowing how common and accepted inter-racial marriage is in CA. I mean people don't even notice. Shocking I tell you! Shocking. And their children PLAY together! It's enough to cause the vapors. )
Are you saying that I would hate to know how common interracial marriage is in California. Why? I have nothing against interracial marriage. I like diversity.

However, I have a problem with people talking about how diverse California is, when reality is. California, like the rest of the US is very segregated. I feel like many liberals use hispanics and blacks as tokens, but they don't want to live with them.

Often the same people are screaming racist if you want to restrict immigration, or believe black fathers should do more for their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Nope, also no one to date has disproven anything I've posted at best they have a different interpretation of the data. African- American culture is in fact negative and regressive. I'm simply pointing out to the deluded Blacks who think they will gain something from the new Hispanic majority that they are mistaken. All one has to do is look how people of African descent are treated in Latin America versus here.
The gets this straight there SOME Black American that have sociall dysfunctional behaviors.

THAT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE MAJORITY OF THE BLACK RACE.

You can't have statistics like this if a majority of group is dysfunctional.

Booming Black Enrollment Reflects More Than Demographics

Quote:
Black college enrollment reached its highest level on record in October 2010. Akin to young Hispanics, record young black college enrollment reflects educational strides as well as population gains. In October 2010, 38% of black 18- to 24-year-olds were enrolled in college. This eclipsed the prior high of 37% recorded in October 2009.

An important factor underlying the black college enrollment increase is that more young blacks are completing high school and thus are eligible to pursue college. In October 2010, 83% of black 18- to 24-year-olds had completed high school. This represents a historical high in young black high school completion.
Quote:
In October 2010, 46.0% of young black high school completers were enrolled in college. This rate is significantly above the levels prevailing before 2009 when enrollment rates ranged from 40% to 42%, but is lower than the record 46.4% in October 2009.

As the percentage of white voters decreases and the percentage of black voters stays the same or increases, that a net gain of the influence of the black vote.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:58 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
That is not a problem. I have lived in so many Counties in Calif. Now in O.C. which i love it the best. However i have lived next door to different people also, a diverse area, IN the I.E. where everyone is hard workers and here legally. And generally care about each other. Diverse but very highly educated too. Really nice areas.
Too see people get along is good. IT is those who are here illegally, and won't learn our langugage we have a problem with.
THE I.E. is sort of diverse, but people get along their very well too. The main thing is living with people who have good morals as you do, treat everyone with respect as you want to be treated, and people you believe you can trust. Who speak english.
This is not a problem, at all as i see it. Inter-racial marriage has been around quite a while, and not only accepted here in Ca.
Like you this is all about illegal immigration to me and the unnatural growth within the Hispanic population due to the that. That isn't "diversity". I don't have a problem with inter-racial marriages either. The only way that we can get good tamales is from the illegal alien kind of Hispanic?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Well, then your area is an exception. Just because you grew up in a diverse area, does not mean California is a diverse state.

As I have told you before, the map over the bay area show my point clearly. Even in the bay area, blacks, whites and hispanics live in their own segregated areas. Outside the bay area it is even worse.

Look at LA. Does that look like a diverse city, or a segregated city?

(Maybe you should try to address my points, instead of using argument from authority?)
But it is, maybe Northern Ca is different living then Soutern Ca. Southern California, and i have lived in many different Counties, except for S.B. County. Many of our areas, are diverse.
Everyday normal hard working people who live and get along very well. And i too love getting the homemade Mexican, when i lived in the I.E. and i made homemade Italian, and we would swap.
Even many areas in O.C. today are diverse, years ago, i remember them being different, but not today.
Of course you will always have exceptions to this rule. And in any city you will of course have your segrated areas.
Every city has it's elite areas, middle class areas, and poor. The way it is
The only problem as i see is it, is having illegals living next door to you. and in the areas i lived in at those times, none of the hispanics were illegals at all, fine good hard working people..born in this Country.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Well, then your area is an exception. Just because you grew up in a diverse area, does not mean California is a diverse state.

As I have told you before, the map over the bay area show my point clearly. Even in the bay area, blacks, whites and hispanics live in their own segregated areas. Outside the bay area it is even worse.

Look at LA. Does that look like a diverse city, or a segregated city?

(Maybe you should try to address my points, instead of using argument from authority?)
For one thing, those particular racial categories are inadequate to describe L.A. as there are many "others".

From the L.A. map it looks like blacks are more segregated than any other group but the other groups aren't segregated - although they have their bastions. This is most likely because there aren't as many blacks as there are Hispanics, non-Hispanic whites, or Asians. There is only one census tract within the city of Los Angeles that is 90 percent non-Hispanic white, which is in the Fairfax District.

Last edited by majoun; 05-22-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 10:19 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Like you this is all about illegal immigration to me and the unnatural growth within the Hispanic population due to the that. That isn't "diversity". I don't have a problem with inter-racial marriages either. The only way that we can get good tamales is from the illegal alien kind of Hispanic?
Right ha! my friends are a mix of people. Not a problem. I don't think any of us have a problem with the Mexican People who are born in this Country. I love mexican food, one of my favorites besides of course my Italian,
When people get along due to diversity, it is a good thing.
The problem is in some areas of Calif, you have a high percentage of illegals living 15-16 in a rented house, bringing down the values even more in those areas. Diversity no problema, illegals is a different story.
I have gotten Mexican Food from friends who were born here, but their parents born in Mexico, but citizens of this Country. And we swap, it was wonderfu. Well that was when we were living in a house in the I.E. we were fixing and living in, to sell. We bought it, new home in new area, fixed it up, made it beautiful, then sell them. That was then and this is now, different time.
That was a couple of years ago though. Housing in some of those areas now suck.
I can believe though in some areas in Calif, the majority of the population is hispanic, i see it.
The area i now live in is different, but i have lived in very diverse areas, without a problem. I am a beach gal, love it.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:32 AM

496 posts, read 483,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Right ha! my friends are a mix of people. Not a problem. I don't think any of us have a problem with the Mexican People who are born in this Country. I love mexican food, one of my favorites besides of course my Italian,
When people get along due to diversity, it is a good thing.
The problem is in some areas of Calif, you have a high percentage of illegals living 15-16 in a rented house, bringing down the values even more in those areas. Diversity no problema, illegals is a different story.
I have gotten Mexican Food from friends who were born here, but their parents born in Mexico, but citizens of this Country. And we swap, it was wonderfu. Well that was when we were living in a house in the I.E. we were fixing and living in, to sell. We bought it, new home in new area, fixed it up, made it beautiful, then sell them. That was then and this is now, different time.
That was a couple of years ago though. Housing in some of those areas now suck.
I can believe though in some areas in Calif, the majority of the population is hispanic, i see it.
The area i now live in is different, but i have lived in very diverse areas, without a problem. I am a beach gal, love it.

good positive comments and attitude.....if people are looking for a problem they will find one , because a problem seems to be what they want to find for some reason. many but not all racial dynamic's are created this way...

Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,786 times
Quote:
That was an incorrect label. He is a political pundit, not a demographer. A Demographer stays neutral and report facts.
Dowell Myers is NOT a poltiical pundit. You may not agree with him...but he's no political pundit. The state of California has changed their population forecasting because this guy has proven them wrong (with LOWER numbers). Those are facts.

Quote:

Actually, California is not that diverse, because whites and other groups don't live together. However, from what I saw you were trying to make the point that whites will not be replaced in California. But, even the source who expected white emigration to drop to nearly zero, expected 70% among the ones younger than 64 to be nonwhite in 2030.

There is residential segregation in the United States? This is news?

Based on 2010 U.S. Census data, the top ten most segregated cities in the U.S. (for blacks vs. whites) are as follows:

1. Milwaukee
2. NYC
3. Chicago
4. Detroit
5. Cleveland
6. Buffalo
7. St Louis
8. Cincinatti
9. Philadelphia
10. Los Angeles

Only one city in California in the top ten.

Where Are the Top 10 Most Segregated Cities? | NewsFeed | TIME.com

Old 05-22-2012, 10:46 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Nothing was stolen from Mexico for God's sake! A war occured and throughout history wars have been fought and lands have exchanged hands. In this case the U.S. paid millions of dollars to Mexico for the lands in question. All those Mexican whiners today weren't even alive back then. They can't even make anything out of their own country. They just want this one because Americans have made something out of it. What gets me is they are fighting a war with babies via illegal immigration rather than bullets. It is the coward's way.
Oh really, were you alive back then?

Let's take this quote from someone who was alive and served in the U.S.-Mexican War:

"For myself, I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation. It was an instance of a republic following the bad example of European monarchies, in not considering justice in their desire to acquire additional territory." - Ulysses S. Grant, 1885

Old 05-22-2012, 11:01 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Oh really, were you alive back then?

Let's take this quote from someone who was alive and served in the U.S.-Mexican War:

"For myself, I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation. It was an instance of a republic following the bad example of European monarchies, in not considering justice in their desire to acquire additional territory." - Ulysses S. Grant, 1885
Regardless of someone's opinion those lands were bought and paid for by the U.S. and that is just a fact. So why are those today who weren't even alive back then crying about a past that they weren't even a part of? Today we have internationally recognized borders. Deal with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies