Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:49 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
You're thinking Sons of Fate.

The Stand: Man or Machine is the anthem of the country, as there are no heroes left in man and we are all slaves of the democrat/republican binary and our country is going literally nowhere because of it.
Why did I confuse the two? Not sure.

Either way, the anthem should be about uniting the nation, not just reminding them that poo stinks. Light Up the Night unites people for the fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 02:50 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Why did I confuse the two? Not sure.

Either way, the anthem should be about uniting the nation, not just reminding them that poo stinks. Light Up the Night unites people for the fight.
If you want to unite people for a fight...

Ain't no song that'll get someone in a fighting mood quite like that one.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:52 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I vote "America the Beautiful."
Yup. Puts a lump in my throat. Every time.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
"Columbia Gem of the Ocean" was widely used as a national anthem before the Star Spangled Banner was made official. That or "The Liberty Song" written during the Revolution would work, though I see nothing wrong with the current anthem.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:54 PM

We could just switch up the lyrics to the My Little Pony opening and make it a tad more patriotic.

That'll line up most of the 30 and under crowd.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
We could just switch up the lyrics to the My Little Pony opening and make it a tad more patriotic.

That'll line up most of the 30 and under crowd.
I can agree with this.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I can agree with this.
"My little American!
I used to wonder what the American dream could be!
My little American!
Until I took a recession to the knee!"

Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
"My little American!
I used to wonder what the American dream could be!
My little American!
Until I took a recession to the knee!"
*in the knee

Old 05-22-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
*in the knee
......Technicalities.

FINE.

I'LL MAKE MY OWN AMERICAN SONG.

WITH HOOKERS AND BLACKJACK.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:12 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
this is likely the song i would replace the star spangled banner with if i had to. there are other options though like america the beautiful, america tis of thee, and one of my all time favorite songs, stars and stripe forever

Stars and Stripes Forever - John Philip Sousa - YouTube
Stars and Stripes Forever would be my choice but few bands could play it like that and there are no words. Very few school bands could play it since few, even on the college level, have piccolo players who can play like that one, although they could if they wanted to. Few high school bands could play the bass part properly, either.

I had tears in my eyes just listening to it this time just like I did when our high school band of 39 kids played it at least as well. They had a director who had been a director of military bands for years and he made that tiny group into something really beautiful to listen to. They played that thing in a contest and got graded down by one judge who said it was too advanced for such a small band and that really pissed me off when I heard them play it in a concert.

That girl who was a flute player carried that piccolo part so well and I cry every time I think about it. The bass section was good although they only had two tubas. One of them was my son, a sophomore at the time, who had been thrilling people since he was a fifth grader and had some really great directors work with him all that time.

They fired that director because he was too tough on kids but most of the kids really liked him.

Remember that the piece is just too tough for most bands that aren't military in nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies