Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
We wouldn't be having this discussion if the U.S. had universal coverage like most of the modern world. Everyone pays in and if they get sick they are covered.
Every one pays in? I have to wonder what you mean by that. When nearly 50% of our people don't pay any income tax how much would they pay into this Universal Health care you talk about? Surely you can see that all of what comes in comes in from those who pay income taxes and those who collect earned income to keep them from paying taxes pay nothing. That just doesn't seem at all fair to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 10:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
If it was an existing issue...why didn't the person have the problem taken care of under their old Insurance Policy? Or are you hinting that we are supposed to be talking about a person that didn't have insurance to start with?
People with all the answers crack me up! My daughter had melanoma at age 14. She "took care of it" but it could recur at any time. Get it?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,263 times
Quote:
When I went searching for an individual policy a few years ago after retiring rather early in life, I was in much worse shape physically than you were, more than double your age, and I NEVER ran into a situation where an Ins Co. would not cover me. Of course they wanted to charge me a larger premium, with my issues it was to be expected....I was a risk to them.

But NEVER was I told they wouldn't insure me.....and I shopped around a LOT!

Could it be that you simply refuse to, or cannot afford to pay the requisite premiums they are asking? You should check into your specific state's high-risk fund. Premiums are high of course, but much better than not having any Ins.
Are those premiums reasonable for folks making minimum wage? Heck, are they even reasonable for folks making roughly the equivalent of our nation's per capita income?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The question is ... who pays? Or do we just leave them to die if they cannot afford it themselves?
I think it depends on how far down the line you are. The older you are the farther you will be down the line in the form of rationing you are. Some people just can't see that with the government paying rationing has to be in effect.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
And don't you think the pre-existing waiting period is in place because of those that took advantage by not insuring themselves until they developed a problem....bought insurance, and stuck the new carrier with sizable claim?
No. See my post about my daughter.

Quote:
When I went searching for an individual policy a few years ago after retiring rather early in life, I was in much worse shape physically than you were, more than double your age, and I NEVER ran into a situation where an Ins Co. would not cover me. Of course they wanted to charge me a larger premium, with my issues it was to be expected....I was a risk to them.

But NEVER was I told they wouldn't insure me.....and I shopped around a LOT!

Could it be that you simply refuse to, or cannot afford to pay the requisite premiums they are asking? You should check into your specific state's high-risk fund. Premiums are high of course, but much better than not having any Ins.
Do you have a history of ulcerative colitis?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Every one pays in? I have to wonder what you mean by that. When nearly 50% of our people don't pay any income tax how much would they pay into this Universal Health care you talk about? Surely you can see that all of what comes in comes in from those who pay income taxes and those who collect earned income to keep them from paying taxes pay nothing. That just doesn't seem at all fair to me.
Those individuals are probably not going to pay a cent either way. But if the taxpayers are no longer paying for so many of the indigents' costly and unnecessary trips to the ER and instead shift a lot of that over to primary care, it will be a net gain for all invested parties and healthcare outcomes would be improved.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:47 PM

749 posts, read 838,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Are those premiums reasonable for folks making minimum wage? Heck, are they even reasonable for folks making roughly the equivalent of our nation's per capita income?
That wasn't his complaint...he said they would NOT offer him insurance at all. Of course someone making minimum wage isn't going to be able to afford individual health insurance. But that hasn't changed much....30 yrs ago when the minimum wage was $3hr...you couldn't afford it then either.

Last edited by LeftyTrav; 05-21-2012 at 10:57 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 10:55 PM

749 posts, read 838,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Those individuals are probably not going to pay a cent either way. But if the taxpayers are no longer paying for so many of the indigents' costly and unnecessary trips to the ER and instead shift a lot of that over to primary care, it will be a net gain for all invested parties and healthcare outcomes would be improved.
The last thing I will say on this subject is: Give me any example of a Govt run program that hasn't done a complete nose dive into the red? The same thing that happened to Social Security....constant Govt looting from that program...will happen to any Universal Healthcare system they attempt to initiate.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
That wasn't his complaint...he said they would NOT cover him. Of course someone making minimum wage isn't going to be able to afford individual health insurance. But that hasn't changed much....30 yrs ago when the minimum wage was $3hr...you couldn't afford it then either.
Right, but that's my complaint. And my argument has nothing to do with comparing today to 30 years ago. What was wrong then is still wrong now. Let's get it right.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Insurance hasn't served as insurance in a very long time. People charge routine check-ups to insurance.
If it's covered and I'm paying for it already, then yes, I will "charge" a routine check-up to insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies