Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,658,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"When did you change me?", the child asked, when the mom showed her a drawing of a nude girl. This sounds like a child with past life memories of being a boy. The past-life recall angle should be explored.

In Indigenous cultures around the world that are accepting of transgender kids, parents and extended family members can spot a gay or transgender child at the age of 2 by his/her mannerisms. Kids like that are wired differently. An observant family member can spot the signs. The child in question actually looks like s/he might be Pacific Islander, where transgender kids are common. I'd relax about this. The child is lucky to have caring parents.
I've known little girls that were Tom Boys before puberty, they wanted to be boys, some even demanded to be called a boy's name. but then they grow up and live happy lives as women and mothers. I've also known little girls who wanted to be a doggy or a horsey, should we start gene splicing Fido DNA into them, to try and change them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,213,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Is the concept of a tomboy not allowed anymore ?

I was a tomboy. Preferred jeans/sneakers over dresses, baseball gloves over barbie dolls, etc but played with both equally.

Ended up becoming an Engineer where women are minorities.
Also married and had a kid.

Never had any doubts as to WHAT I was; I just liked playing baseball/basketball over barbie dolls.
Still to this day I prefer jeans/tshirts over dresses.
It is at my house!

People love to stereotype because it's easy to sit back and judge others.

I have a large family. My middle son is a damn good cook, cleans house like a pro and he can sew. Does that make him a "sissyboy"? His fiance hunts, can field dress an elk with the best of them and loves to camp. I see no problem with that.

My youngest daughter wants to be a Navy pilot and if possible, a SEAL. No problem there either.

Kids know who they are. Good parents realize that and accept them as is.

Some of the other poster's here need to take a good look at the calendar, it's not the 1950's anymore.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:39 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,634,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Ah, but the bolded is the key phrase.

A girl with gender dysphoria not only does everything you did, but has the added problem of the doubt you lack. I'm a tomboy. I'm a girl. My mind and body agree that being a girl is what I am. I just tend to have a skillset and demeanor that is more male than female. But I'm still female.

In a person with gender dysphoria, there is a distinct disconnect between the gender of the brain and the gender of the body. Sometimes it's just a phase (probably hormone related, I don't know); sometimes it's a permanent issue.

Until you've personally dealt with any of these, you can't make a claim that they are bogus.

And this just says that some people still don't understand what ADHD is. Hint: It's not a lack of ability to pay attention and/or being overly energetic.

Though, I've never seen an alot of kids.

Except that this is purely the parents listening to the kid's wishes... or in this case, a child saying "I am a boy". That's not just a case of "wasn't I feminine enough?" but rather a case of a girl who distinctively says "I am a boy".

Also, good on the parents for not being abusive feminine wash products and actually listening to their child. Whether this is permanent or just a phase, they show that they are actually willing to be unconditionally loving parents vice the parents who basically say "I WILL LOVE YOU AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW MY RULES. STRAY FROM MY PATH AND FEEL MY WRATH" and psychologically (and physically) abuse their children.
I guess you didn't read the rest of what this quoted doctor said and advocated; i.e., he advocates switching to neutrality, not forcing one thing or caving in to the other; e.g. board games replacing Barbies or Trucks. He says 80% of these kids reverse back to their physical gender by adulthood. Sounds like a better approach to me.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
All I know is this...there is a mountain of junk science as well and a grip of quack doctors who back it.

And when you have an opportunistic government that will manipulate the social climate a.k.a "rent-seeking"...which is fueled by human preference...this junk science all of a sudden becomes credible. It's why Science always gets talked about as the "new religion"...Because the majority of people are still ignorant to the claims being made and, in many cases, must take the conclusions as gospel.

I mean, they have a "restless leg syndrome", myofibralgia, Wilsons Syndrome, uhh....Seasonal affective disorder (????).....

Even ADHD is still controversial....

Have you ever worked at a job where there was a buddy network? Maybe there were a few "positions" that were "created" for people? But everybody knew that they were really phantom positions...

My company cleaned house not too long ago and flattened the management model and all those "special projects" disappeared along with it...

Kind of what junk science promotes... a bunch of artificial overhead. When in reality, alot of kids with ADHD just need a good knock upside the head.
If you're going to question an established medical condition, at least learn to spell it correctly. FIBROMYALGIA.

Anyway........

What type of a medical background do you have that qualifies you to make a judgment?

My son has ADHD. I can assure you the condition is quite real. It took a great deal of time, money and testing, genetic and otherwise, to diagnose him.

He also has a neuro-integrative disorder, a central auditory processing disorder and Tourette's syndrome.

Just because a medical condition can't be seen by the naked eye doesn't mean it's imaginary.

As for your suggestion that all a kid with ADHD needs is a smack upside the head, how dare you?

I really hope you didn't procreate.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,949,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I have 5 of my own, I also helped raise my siblings, one of whom is gay. Do you really think children are just little critters with no sense of who or what they are?
That's not what I said at all! I said they don't have a concept of the difference between man and woman. I am completely aware of how much a two year old can know, but I just don't think a two year old has enough knowledge or understanding to make a decision like this. There is too much that can change. I mean what's going to happen when this child hits puberty? Things change a lot.....oh that's right let's give our kids puberty blockers so we don't have to find out.

Quote:
Granted, 2 is a little early for a child to realize that he/she has gender issues, it's not out of the realm of possibility. My brother realized he was gay when he was about 6.

Oh yeah, those "parts" we're all born with, what's your point?

Genetic testing will probably be done on this child later on, but for now, I have to commend his/her parents for doing all they can to raise a happy, healthy child.
How can a child know that they are gay at the age of 6? This is a prime example of how brain washed people have become. A child that age doesn't even have the capacity to be sexually attracted to anything and if a child is already thinking in that manner at that age, no offense, but that sounds like that child may have been abused. Kids that age don't understand sexuality unless they are exposed to it.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,075,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
How can a child know that they are gay at the age of 6? This is a prime example of how brain washed people have become. A child that age doesn't even have the capacity to be sexually attracted to anything and if a child is already thinking in that manner at that age, no offense, but that sounds like that child may have been abused. Kids that age don't understand sexuality unless they are exposed to it.
I knew I was gay at 10. I've asked my parents when they first suspected I was gay. They both say they started to figure it out when I was 5 or 6.

And I find your implying a connection between being molested and homosexuality extremely offensive.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:12 AM

4,192 posts, read 3,733,620 times
hammertime, you knew at 10. Your parents suspected around 5 or 6. All they did was suspect based probably on maneurisms (probably spelled that wrong). Just because they susupect does not mean that you were necessarilly gay. My son is six and what pgtitans said I believe is true about "kids that age dont understand sexuality unless they are exposed to it". My sons knows the difference, plays with his little sisters toys sometimes, but as far as liking one sex more than another they are all just kids and shouldnt be thinking about that. They should be acting like kids.

Just because someone assumes or there 5 year old tells them something does not mean that it holds water. Still way to early in the game to be making those kinds of determinations.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
That's not what I said at all! I said they don't have a concept of the difference between man and woman. I am completely aware of how much a two year old can know, but I just don't think a two year old has enough knowledge or understanding to make a decision like this. There is too much that can change. I mean what's going to happen when this child hits puberty? Things change a lot.....oh that's right let's give our kids puberty blockers so we don't have to find out.

Bull!

My brother realized he was gay waaaaay back in the early 70's. We were born and raised in the deep south with a fundamentalist upbringing.

He was neither abused or brainwashed, he was just smart enough to realize he was different. I find your contention that he was to be offensive and very small minded.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Bull!

My brother realized he was gay waaaaay back in the early 70's. We were born and raised in the deep south with a fundamentalist upbringing.

He was neither abused or brainwashed, he was just smart enough to realize he was different. I find your contention that he was to be offensive and very small minded.
Okay if it is so small minded, how would a 6 year old understand anything about sex?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I knew I was gay at 10. I've asked my parents when they first suspected I was gay. They both say they started to figure it out when I was 5 or 6.

And I find your implying a connection between being molested and homosexuality extremely offensive.
mustangman66 hit the nail on the head. Were your parents accepting of this, did they ignore it or did they try to force you to be a certain way? How did you know were gay? Were you around other gay people at the time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies