Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 02:50 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Pretty good arguments.
Where were you in 2002?
They same place I seem to find myself today ... trapped in the freaking Twilight Zone, on planet Dumb Dumb, and wondering what happened to planet earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Municipal swimming pools probably should be required to have them, if that's what the voters in their communities want. This should be a state or local issue and not a federal one imo. I also think most states would go for it.

Commercial? Hell no, to begin with it's not safe b/c most don't have lifeguards. Small hotels or private swimming holes can't afford 10,000 either. Not to mention the government shouldn't be telling them what to do. I expect all the Mom & Pop places to fill in their pools (don't forget this takes permits and costs too).

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Notice what's not there? Threads about the economy. Out of all of those thread titles on the first page there may be 5 related to the economy. This is the Democrats controlling the conversation, steering it away from Obama's failed economy.

And take a look at the Google News homepage. See any stories about the economy? No? Me, either.

Republicans are going to blow this election unless they do a better job playing Offense on communications instead of Defense and just reacting to everything the Democrats lay out publicly.
The above is the OP from a thread this OP started yesterday. Is this the most pressing problem, or even one of the most pressing problems, of today?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:58 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It should be a state/local issue.
Yeah, agreed. The whole "public" pool thing could be interpreted how?
Plenty of areas, particularly in the South that this could have a big impact on.
Your option could be raise rates or shut down. People should have a say. Certainly I would rather see the closing down most likely than most "forced" rate increases.

I have no doubt the 2013, date relates to an election yr. This is SOP for most politicians.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Did you miss the part about the requirements going into effect in 2002?

"Finally, I should note that this is not something that the Obama Administration just rammed through. The hotel industry has known about this issue for a decade. The Access Board first issued pool lift standards in its accessibility guidelines for recreation facilities issued in 2002 -- i.e., during the Bush Administration. "

And, BTW, for the faux-outragers:

" First, the ADA and the new regs make clear that existing pools have to satisfy the new pool lift standards only if doing so is "readily achievable" -- a term the statute defines as "easily accomplishable and able to be carried out without much difficulty or expense." In other words, if it is too hard or to expensive to put a lift in an existing pool, the law doesn't require it -- which means that there is no possibility of civil penalties. "

Disability Law: Dispelling the Myths About Pool Lifts
Maybe they'll bake a pie with these cherries they picked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I don't get to park in handicapped spaces, now do I...
Where is the attitude over that. I paid for them, didn't I, with my tax dollars.

How dare they force me to park in the back because I can walk?

See how ridiculous this "everyone fair" crap is?

Not everything is fair, and if a private business owner doesn't want to cater to handicapped people, or anyone else, for whatever reason, they deserve that right, the right of choice.'
So you think you should get a handicapped sticker? You may get lucky and need one, sooner rather than later.

You need to review the ADA as well as the public accomodations act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I've got minority friends. They don't go around talking about how the "man" is keeping them down.

Again, if its public, I'm all for free access to anyone. If its a privately owned business, home, whatever, then you shouldn't have to allow anyone entry, for any reason.

If a black grocery store owner in Detroit doesn't want a white man shopping in his store, then he should have every right to tell you to get the hell out.
So if the owner of the only grocery store around for miles doesn't like your looks, s/he shoud be able to refuse you entry?

Please brush up on the public accomodations law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Municipal swimming pools probably should be required to have them, if that's what the voters in their communities want. This should be a state or local issue and not a federal one imo. I also think most states would go for it.

Commercial? Hell no, to begin with it's not safe b/c most don't have lifeguards. Small hotels or private swimming holes can't afford 10,000 either. Not to mention the government shouldn't be telling them what to do. I expect all the Mom & Pop places to fill in their pools (don't forget this takes permits and costs too).
Re: the bold, I guess if the community doesn't want these "Crips" and "gimps" using its pools, they can go somewhere else, eh?

I never heard of a "Mom and Pop" swimming pool.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
[quote=GregW;24410737]Laurac - why do all you RWNJ'S complain so loudly if the government tries to enforce a federal law? Handicapped persons pay municipal taxes and should have access to municipal facilities. Who knows you might be handicapped some day and appreciate the use of public facilities. I am continuously amazed by your self centered frugality and shortsightedness. You live for the now with no concern for the possibility of future hardship and apparently no empathy for the needs of others. You really represent you political and social compatriots very well. You and they are selfish, careless spoiled children that refuse to ever grow out of you little self centered world. I am very glad I am not you or anything like you. [/QUOTE

I agree with you.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

So you think you should get a handicapped sticker? You may get lucky and need one, sooner rather than later.

You need to review the ADA as well as the public accomodations act.

So if the owner of the only grocery store around for miles doesn't like your looks, s/he shoud be able to refuse you entry?

Please brush up on the public accomodations law.

No, I don't want a handicapped sticker. But the argument was made that "because they pay taxes, and the roads get to the business". I pay taxes, so under the same assumption, shouldn't I be able to park wherever I want? Again, I don't agree with that concept, I was drawing a comparisson.

I know what the Americans with disabilities act says, I also know what the civil rights act says. And while I support those endeavors in public buildings and facilities, I oppose them on private ventures.

Yes, if a grocery store owner, lets say asian, doesn't want me in his store because I'm white, I'm not going to take him to court. I'm going to drive another mile down the road, to the next grocery store.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:06 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Public pools? Ewww...

Old 05-22-2012, 03:08 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Yep i am rewriting history and having fun doing it.Apparently you as well as others think that handicapped people deserve the same rights as whole body people. That is so shameful!

Sure is smart of PRESIDENT OBAMA to give the reprieve.Ron Paul has fallen to the wayside. Maybe he has time to go to the pool!

Apparently you as well as others think that handicapped people deserve the same rights as whole body people.

I meant to say:Apparently you as well as others think that handicapped people DON'T deserve the same rights as whole body people

Old 05-22-2012, 03:08 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I think most states have incorporated the Federal ADA regulations/guidelines by reference into their laws/regs. That's what's happened in Illinois. My building isn't being asked to comply with a "Federal" regulation, but, rather, a state requirement. Federally operated/supported facilities would follow the Federal guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies