Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:41 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Your understanding of those scriptures is so poor I doubt you understand the first thing about Christianity.

Jesus Christ came to fullfill the old testament LAW by instituting a new and better covenant of GRACE. Jesus was totally emphatic about how Christians are to treat others. HATE is always of the devil and has nothing at all to do with Jesus. Christians who point their fingers at any particular sinner are so far off the mark and so far from the kingdom of Heaven that it would be better for them if they had never been born at all. Just think for a single minute some of the things Jesus said regarding this behavour.

"LOVE your neighbour as yourself.
You will be judged as you judge.
Why do you want to take the speck out of your neighbour's eye when you have the entire log in your own.
Forgive others 7 times 70 times, {Infinite #}

I truely have an unChristian attitude towards these snakes in the grass. They are a blot on the name Christian.
Jesus said that we Christians would be known to the world by our love, joy, peace and by how we treat those who are hated by the world, those in jail, the poor, the sick the sinner no matter what their sin.

I'm quite sure that God has a special extra hot little corner of HELL where these haters will spend eternity.
I studied the Bible for several years and I get what Christianity is about. It’s just that what most self-proclaimed Christians say they’re about and what they’re really about are two completely different things. Most self-proclaimed Christians talk about being loving and accepting, and not judging, while they do exactly that and fall very short from showing love.

Or they are loving and accepting (like you seem to be), but ignore a lot of verses in the Bible while claiming to be literalists. If you are loving and accepting, identify yourself as Christian, and admit openly that you do not take the Bible literally, that’s one thing. There’s no contradiction there. But to be a kind human being and claim to take the Bible word-for-word, with all the heinous crimes that are condoned by God (either now or in Mosaic times, doesn't really matter), is a huge contradiction. And to be judgmental and hateful like this pastor while claiming to be a loving Christian is also a contradiction. To be a loving, kind Christian, you have to ignore vast portions of the Bible--because there are verses that say to keep Mosaic Laws today. If no other part, then you have to ignore those verses so that you aren't commanded by God to stone your children for talking back to you.

You are probably one of the few real Christians. If I were you, I’d be so ashamed what people are associating with the name of my belief. Maybe followers like you can remind pastors like this one what Christianity is supposed to be about, because he’s not exactly loving his neighbor or bringing joy and peace by suggesting gay people be electrocuted and left to die and starve out. Don’t forget to check out his 1978 sermon where he said that gays would have been hanged from a tree too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Well said. These passages from Leviticus are frequently used to try to paint Christians as hypocrites that selectively follow what they choose, when the old laws no longer apply.

Anyone using the Bible to justify bigotry or hatred of others is doing the exact opposite of what followers of Jesus are taught.
Did you read LUke 16:17 and Matthew 5:17 that clearly state that the old law in fact does apply to today? Or did you selectively decide to ignore those verses? Let me post them in the full--since I linked them, which made them too easy to ignore.

Quote:
17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.
LUKE 16:17 (KJV)

Quote:
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
MATTHEW 5:17 (KJV)

It says quite plainly there, in verses that are in MATTHEW and LUKE, which are both in the New Testament, that Jesus did not come to abolish the Law, and that God does not want us to forget about the Old Laws. Matthew 5:17 even goes so far as to say that Jesus has come to fulfill the law.

So anyone who claims that the Old Testament does not apply to today is ignoring at least two verses in the Bible. I am not saying that people should follow the Bible literally in order to identify themselves as Christian, but they should just be honest with themselves and others by admitting that they don't take the Bible literally--and precisely because they do have a heart.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
It's okay guys - he's clarified what he meant by his sermons, and it turns out wanting to imprison gays until they die or hang them from oak trees are actually expressions of Christian love:

"I talked a little bit, I believe it was last Sunday, on the homosexual lifestyle, and there was a whole lot of people who didn't like what I said," Worley told his congregation Sunday, according to WBTV.

“Listen, all of the Sodomites, the lesbians, and all of the ... what's that word? Gays I didn't wanna say 'queers' that say we don't love you, I love you more than you love yourself, I'm praying for you to be saved."

Video of North Carolina pastor's plan to 'get rid of' gays goes viral – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I can't believe people actually attend sermons from people like that. What on Earth makes him think he's following Jesus? Seriously, even if you disagree with same-sex activity, calling for a Nazi style method of eliminating gays in no way follows the "Love thy Neighbor" command.

Jesus didn't say, "Love thy Neighbor, unless he's gay, in which case kill him".

He's not. Plain and simple. Based on what I've learned about Jesus he certainly would have not advocated killing someone just because they're different. Didn't he intervene when Mary Magdalene, a prostitute, that was going to be stoned to death?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, the Bible never actually says gays should die. There was no such thing as "gay" in Biblical days. The Jewish prohibition was on temple prostitution, and it was a nearly impossible to actually convict someone of a capital crime under Judaism. The death penalty was more a deterrent than a practice.
Taking those verses as empty threats would be taking the Bible as less than literal.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Your understanding of those scriptures is so poor I doubt you understand the first thing about Christianity.

Jesus Christ came to fullfill the old testament LAW by instituting a new and better covenant of GRACE. Jesus was totally emphatic about how Christians are to treat others. HATE is always of the devil and has nothing at all to do with Jesus. Christians who point their fingers at any particular sinner are so far off the mark and so far from the kingdom of Heaven that it would be better for them if they had never been born at all. Just think for a single minute some of the things Jesus said regarding this behavour.

"LOVE your neighbour as yourself.
You will be judged as you judge.
Why do you want to take the speck out of your neighbour's eye when you have the entire log in your own.
Forgive others 7 times 70 times, {Infinite #}

I truely have an unChristian attitude towards these snakes in the grass. They are a blot on the name Christian.
Jesus said that we Christians would be known to the world by our love, joy, peace and by how we treat those who are hated by the world, those in jail, the poor, the sick the sinner no matter what their sin.

I'm quite sure that God has a special extra hot little corner of HELL where these haters will spend eternity.

Damn! Well said! And it's about how I roll. Nobody is perfect. Certainly not me, but I try my best.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:11 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I saw this on the news several times. It comes on about every 10 minutes on News 14 Carolina and not one time have I heard that pastor say to kill anyone. He said that if you keep them fenced up gay people would cease to exist because they cannot reproduce. We all know that is not legal but to him it would be a solution to get rid of gays. I did not take what he said seriously except for the part that they would die out. I believe that is correct. If two gays were the only two people left on earth and they died that would be the end of everybody. That was his point. His point was that there is no point of a union of two people of the same sex and he is right about that.

Now do your thing of attacking the messenger. I don't care one way or the other as long as I don't have to witness two people of the same sex acting in a sexy way. That should make anybody want to puke.
The preacher must be blinded by hate for thinking up such a stupid way to get rid of gays. Maybe one big reason these preachers preach hate is because people give more to the church after hearing such sermons. That's pretty bad as well, if true.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:12 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,497 times
Just heard this played on the radio this morning. Guy sounded like an idiot. But, he didn't call for "killing gays;" he did hatch a ridiculous idea to try to make them become "extinct." Remember, not everyone on either side is playing with a full deck. At least, no president that I know of has ever endorsed or supported this guy or even attended his sermons.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It says quite plainly there, in verses that are in MATTHEW and LUKE, which are both in the New Testament, that Jesus did not come to abolish the Law, and that God does not want us to forget about the Old Laws. Matthew 5:17 even goes so far as to say that Jesus has come to fulfill the law.

So anyone who claims that the Old Testament does not apply to today is ignoring at least two verses in the Bible. I am not saying that people should follow the Bible literally in order to identify themselves as Christian, but they should just be honest with themselves and others by admitting that they don't take the Bible literally--and precisely because they do have a heart.
The above is a major reason I don't believe in going to church. There's just to much conflict and matter of opinion of what the Bible is really trying to get across. For further instance, many of us think we go to heaven after we die, but the Bible says the dead know nothing.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Just heard this played on the radio this morning. Guy sounded like an idiot. But, he didn't call for "killing gays;" he did hatch a ridiculous idea to try to make them become "extinct." Remember, not everyone on either side is playing with a full deck. At least, no president that I know of has ever endorsed or supported this guy or even attended his sermons.
Of course he did. He starts by saying that he's " figured a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers" - his way is to pen them together so that "a in a few years, they'll die out", although I doubt it would take more than a year for us to die of exposure.

Not to mention we now have another sermon of his in which he laments how we can no longer lynch gay people:

"you know what, it saddens my heart to think that homosexuals can go around, bless God, and get the applause of a lot of people. Lesbians and all the rest of it? Bless God, forty years ago they’d have hung ‘em, bless God, from a white oak tree, wouldn’t they? Amen."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies