Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,444 times

Advertisements

It'll never get even a smudge better.

There is too much money in the drug-busting industry.

There is even more in the drug-producing industry, but in order to be involved in that men have to be hardened, strong, tough and ready for the street.

There's something like 14 of those running around.

The rest take refuge in badges and play the game from the other side of the fence in exchange for middle class mediocrity. Prison guards, DEA, et al won't let this "war" end without a fight. They'd have to get real jobs. What is your run of the mill DEA agent qualified to do that earns 60-150K plus federal benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,476,638 times
What he says is that those of you who abuse substances are mentally ill. That's something a majority of people in the USA will agree with.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,834,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
so instead of being addicts they would all become "patients" and what exactly would be the cost of such treatment rehab program? we are broke how are we guna pay for that?
We already incarcerate a large number of our population (more than any other nation, I understand), most of whom are non-violent drug offenders. Add the cost of catching and convicting them; we are already absorbing huge costs. Not every person using drugs has to be institutionalized. Then there are the costs of the former prisoners on society when they are released and they can't find decent jobs because they have a record. What we are doing now is costing us tons.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,893,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I had to rep you on this one. You're absolutely right. The propaganda against marijuana is ludicrous at best! The other s*** that you mentioned, can and will in fact kill you!
Exactly! The biggest problem with the "War on Drugs" is classifying a God-given plant consumed medicinally by humans (without one single death I might add) for thousands of years as a "drug".

This, when Americans are consuming and overdosing on presciption pills at RECORD RATES. If you don't understand the hypocrisy there, you must not understand much.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,902,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Arent you one of the biggest critics of Rush because he used a drug?

Can you say hypocrite?
I seriousy doubt that. My only issue with Rush and drugs was his comments that drug users should be locked away and the key thrown away and then he was caught buying prescription drugs illegally because he was hooked on them himself. Which in my book is the definition of a Hypocrite. FYI, abusing prescription drugs is no different from abusing illegal drugs in my opinion the result is the same.
My stand on the use and control of drugs is fairly simple. Pot should be fully legal and have the same rules and regulations attached to Alcohol. The hard drugs should remain illegal, meaning dealers still go to jail for selling it, but addicted users are not put in prison but instead forced into rehab to deal with their addiction, those not addicted but caught with it on their person should recieve a fine, with the fine going up with each case of being caught.
Clear it up for ya?

Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I seriousy doubt that. My only issue with Rush and drugs was his comments that drug users should be locked away and the key thrown away and then he was caught buying prescription drugs illegally because he was hooked on them himself. Which in my book is the definition of a Hypocrite. FYI, abusing prescription drugs is no different from abusing illegal drugs in my opinion the result is the same.
My stand on the use and control of drugs is fairly simple. Pot should be fully legal and have the same rules and regulations attached to Alcohol. The hard drugs should remain illegal, meaning dealers still go to jail for selling it, but addicted users are not put in prison but instead forced into rehab to deal with their addiction, those not addicted but caught with it on their person should recieve a fine, with the fine going up with each case of being caught.
Clear it up for ya?
Would you not agree that there is a difference between drugs like prescription drugs, and crack and cocain? If you think people hooked on drugs should go into rehab and receive a fine, wouldnt this include Rush, since thats what happened to him I believe. It sounds like you support the outcome, but just wanted to ***** about it anyways.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreriddle View Post
It'll never get even a smudge better.

There is too much money in the drug-busting industry.

There is even more in the drug-producing industry, but in order to be involved in that men have to be hardened, strong, tough and ready for the street.

There's something like 14 of those running around.

The rest take refuge in badges and play the game from the other side of the fence in exchange for middle class mediocrity. Prison guards, DEA, et al won't let this "war" end without a fight. They'd have to get real jobs. What is your run of the mill DEA agent qualified to do that earns 60-150K plus federal benefits?
There are lots of entities that are benefiting from the Drug War and the Prison Industrial Complex and they are unlikely to let it go away quietly.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,959,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Exactly! The biggest problem with the "War on Drugs" is classifying a God-given plant consumed medicinally by humans (without one single death I might add) for thousands of years as a "drug".

This, when Americans are consuming and overdosing on presciption pills at RECORD RATES. If you don't understand the hypocrisy there, you must not understand much.

Oh trust me. I understand. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. When you see more states legalize marijuana for medical purposes, is when I think you'll see more and more talk of full blown legalization. Like I said they're trying to get medical weed on the ballot here in Ohio. I believe they've gotten enough of the required signatures necessary to do so. I fully intend to vote yes for medical weed. I don't know that it will pass the first time around considering the "Bible Belt" part of Ohio, but I'm sure that there will be more attempts. What needs to happen, is Americans need to wake the f*** up and realize the smoke that has been blown up there a** (no pun intended) about marijuana and the war on drugs, and demand accountability from our elected officials. I say vote every one of them out who oppose legalization! Yeah it's a tall order, but if it can be done it will show them once and for all that they do in fact work for the American people as a whole, and not just for special interests, and lining their pockets.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Would you not agree that there is a difference between drugs like prescription drugs, and crack and cocain? If you think people hooked on drugs should go into rehab and receive a fine, wouldnt this include Rush, since thats what happened to him I believe. It sounds like you support the outcome, but just wanted to ***** about it anyways.
Prescription drugs can be just as deadly and addictive as crack and cocaine when they are abused.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
Election Year Politics™ at its finest.

How many of you actually think that Barack Obama is interested in ending the "war on drugs?"

Get real. He has no interest in the subject. He's stated as much several times.

And all the Pot Legalizers are living in a dream world if they believe this is a topic of much concern to the POTUS. It's not even on his radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies