Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:37 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
LOL! I mention that there has been a shift in societal values in America over the past 50 years and get told that I don't know history - yet you can claim that women aren't equal with men in this time period? Women have been the dominant gender in countless civilizations throughout human history - they lost that power - and regained it - lost it again. Once again - history is not a linear progression - so you can't sit there and pretend that women have never had equality and still don't - yet berate me for noticing a value shift in modern America - and trying to insinuate that I don't understand that history has always repeated itself. The fact is - the value shift exists and its effects are negative. Forget what people in the past did - what are we going to do now?
First off.......I didn't say anything about your knowledge of history.....nor do I care.

If women are equal with men in this time period.....why is it nearly impossible for a young woman to get sterilized, but so easy for a young man?

Waiting for your answer.

Last edited by Annie53; 06-01-2012 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 02:38 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Then stop talking like one.
I am not - you said those words - not me.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:40 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
I am not - you said those words - not me.
No, no, you asked why if two people who had consensual sex conceived an unwanted pregnancy then why did they have sex. It's a question parallel to "If that woman didn't want to get raped, why did she wear a miniskirt?"

There are reasons other than procreation to engage in sexual relations.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:41 PM

18,382 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
As this abortion issue evolves over the years it is becoming more and more evident that abortion in general is an unpleasant and unfortunate happening. No one finds it a good thing. Even hard pro-choice advocates would not want to see abortion take place at all in a perfect world. agreed

I believe this barbaric practice will eventually come to an end....abortion will never end. barbaric it has been around since the dawn of man.

It will not be about denying woman's rights..but ensuring them to the fullest how is it ensuring them to the fullest if you take away her choice to abort? how is making a woman go through a pregnancy, give birth against her wishes ensuring her rights to the fullest?

...as the previous writer states regarding taking precautions.. There are many variables surrounding conception..and the natural blocking of it.sure there are all forms of BC out there, how do you make irresponsible people responsible?

The artificial methods of blocking it and the changing of attitudes towards sex in general - that sex is a serious thing and it is NOT like eating a burger. Please sex is not "serious" yes it can be and is like eating a hamburger for millions of people. that will never change. first you want irresponsible people to become responsible now you want everyone to think sex is scared because you think it is? you need to remember from time to time the world does not live by your morals and values.

The bickering between pro-choice and pro-life is slowly coming to a grand end..both sides are realizing that the control of birth is what should be focused on- better methods...more modern and effective methods..No man or woman wants to abort a child- abortion our of sheer spite is also losing it's bite in so far as it being a statement of freedom at the expense of the unborn child. focus on BC and education is the way to go and I agree with you, however we have many conservatives who put up stumbling blocks with sex ed.

Both sides in this debate love children- How could they not? To continue on with the debate as if it was 1973 is foolish and dated. It's time for people to make a decision...do they want off spring or not...No woman should conceive who does not want to conceive. women do conceive even if they don't want to. a fact of life that won't change.

The use of the term "accident" has also lost it's meaning- We are more educated and aware these days that accidents simply should not occur----Like cancer - it is time that we go back to preventative medicine than continue on with attempting to cure conception and birth as if it were a disease- If part of society embraces the perverse idea that conception is a disease- This mentality if allowed to be continued as normal....will be our down fall as a species. again how do you make the hordes of irresponsible responsible. you make it sound like they should "straighten up and fly right"

Time for conception to be focused on - pro-conception and anti-conception...Life begins at conception...even hard nose abortion advocates understand that in their hearts- no, not even "hard nosed abortion advocates" understand in their hearts that life begins at conception. again, the world does not live with your view on life.
so the problem is not about abortion- it is about conception...It is better to abort sperm- or abort an egg...but not once they have combined. The shrill screaming of pro and con people is much like hearing the siren from an ambulance- Once you hear the siren - IT IS TO LATE.
women have the right to live as they see fit, just like a man. how they live their life who they sleep with, how they protect themselves or not, is not any ones business. it matters not "if it is too late" in this day and age abortion is legal and safe, as it should be.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
First off.......I didn't say anything about your knowledge of history.....not do I care.

If women are equal with men in this time period.....why is it nearly impossible for a young woman to get sterilized, but so easy for a young man?

Waiting for your answer.
When did I ever say that women are equal with men in this time period?

Also - define equality. By definition - women and men are not equal - so we had better define what you mean by "equality" before we can have any intelligent discussion on the topic.

Women can vote, hold office, run businesses, be the head of households, own property, serve in the military, ect...

I don't believe there is a law that says that women can't be sterilized before a certain age - so I don't see how you can use that as evidence to support a claim that women don't have equality. Doctors certainly use their discretion based on medical knowledge - and you can likely find a doctor who will do sterilization - so that seems like a weak thread to be clinging on.

So - what is equality?

Old 06-01-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
No, no, you asked why if two people who had consensual sex conceived an unwanted pregnancy then why did they have sex. It's a question parallel to "If that woman didn't want to get raped, why did she wear a miniskirt?"

There are reasons other than procreation to engage in sexual relations.
It has absolutely no parallel.

No woman asks to be raped(and rape is a despicable crime).

People who have consensual sex do know what they are getting into.

Your analogies = EPIC FAIL.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:49 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
It has absolutely no parallel.

No woman asks to be raped(and rape is a despicable crime). People who have consensual sex do know what they are getting into.

Your analogies = EPIC FAIL.
Oh yes there is. People who have sex are not asking to get pregnant, it's just a possible consequence of their actions. As I have said twice now, there are other reasons to engage in sexual relations besides procreation.

Do you leaving the dying man in his totaled car because he knew the risks he was taking by getting behind the wheel?

Old 06-01-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
How do you explain people who choose to be abstinent until marriage - such as myself. I have turned down a few sexual propositions - and my reason was that I was waiting for marriage - a woman who doesn't respect that doesn't interest me(and these ladies certainly were tempting!). I want a lady who understand that sex is not a game - and instead sees it as a beautiful expression of love between a man and a woman who are truly committed to each other. That committment provides the neccesary foundation for raising children - and if a child is conceived - it should be brought into a stable family environment.
so am I concluding right that you a young person and are a virgin? if this is so then it is difficult for you to understand that most people want a full and active sex life. it is admirable you want sex with someone of a like mind, however not everyone thinks like you. lots of folks want sex without a commitment. nothing wrong with that.

Our society has drifted away from the concept of sexual activity being reserved for marriage - and I think that the idea will make a swift return.
yes we have and it is a good thing. sex being reserved for married people will never happen. it wasn't even happening back before the sexual revolution. it won't happen after the sexual revolution.
Fifty years of "sexual revolution" have not been good for our society - we have too many broken homes, single parent households, fatherhood is considered meaningless, poverty is rampant, abortions are on the rise, kids are gravitating to crime, they are hungry, sometimes homeless - all of this is because the family unit has been disrespected and undermined.
we had these things before the revolution. saving sex for marriage won't solve these issues.
Here are a few universal truths: children need a mother and a father, sexual activity can create a child, marriage is between a man and a woman - and provides the foundation for family which is vital to raising children, breaking down the family structure - through out of wedlock sex, promiscuity, abortion, gay marriage and adoption, divorce(yes-the attack on the family often comes from within), eroding of parental rights, government overreach, ect... harms any human society. I won't address all these issues only to say you can live your life that way just don't expect the rest of us to live by your values.

Our children learn what we teach them. If they are taught that they should be irresponsible when it comes to sex - that is exactly how they will behave. If they are taught that sex is a beautiful, sacred expression of love and committment, and should be approached with respect - they will respond and our society may begin to edge away from the cliff it is tottering on at the moment.
do you have children? you think all children are stepford kids? you think there are not children who despite all the good intentions and values their parents tried to instill that they don't rebel? seriously you think you can control all kids to think in goose step?

Old 06-01-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Oh yes there is. People who have sex are not asking to get pregnant, it's just a possible consequence of their actions. As I have said twice now, there are other reasons to engage in sexual relations besides procreation.

Do you leaving the dying man in his totaled car because he knew the risks he was taking by getting behind the wheel?
You are going way off topic - your deflections are meaningless - as are your ridiculous analogies. Try to stick with the topic UE - which is abortion.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
When did I ever say that women are equal with men in this time period?

Also - define equality. By definition - women and men are not equal - so we had better define what you mean by "equality" before we can have any intelligent discussion on the topic.

Women can vote, hold office, run businesses, be the head of households, own property, serve in the military, ect...

I don't believe there is a law that says that women can't be sterilized before a certain age - so I don't see how you can use that as evidence to support a claim that women don't have equality. Doctors certainly use their discretion based on medical knowledge - and you can likely find a doctor who will do sterilization - so that seems like a weak thread to be clinging on.

So - what is equality?
as far as sterilization, no a young woman can not just walk into a doctor's office and be sterilized. most docs will not do it unless the woman is at least 35 and or had several children. the reason I suspect is they worry they would get sued if the woman changes her mind later. many young women visit docs, ask for it and are turned down, told they must wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies