Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 05:17 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Sounds like another racial thread to me. I'll take a wild guess
Quote:
...because unlike rich white kids, who give children up, or have abortions...
black people keep their babies and tough it out, just like the rest of us poor folks do.
And, Gay marriage didn't end traditional marriage. Divorce and abuse has done that. I'm a white middle class old lady and these are my opinions.
How about some proof/link of this, instead of running your mouth and making stuff up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Remember "It takes a village to raise a child" ? Well we have our village now..they are called US taxpayers and we're paying them to raise their kids.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:38 AM

249 posts, read 193,837 times
There are many reasons. We do find that as income and education rises, divorce rates fall. Studies at the state level show that states that are above the national average in income and education have lower divorce rates. Economic stability is conducive to staying married. As financial tension in a given household increases, so does divorce. This paradigm usually works in an up economy. During the Great Depression and the Great Recession, divorce rates fell, simply because it was not economically advantageous.

Income stability is but one factor. What about incarceration rates? Black males are more likely to have higher conviction rates and longer sentences for the same crimes as their White counterparts. Simply put, if a Black male and a White male committed the same crime, the Black male is likely to serve a harsher sentence. Of course there are exceptions.

Blacks are also less likely to learn about contraception than their White counterparts. Part of this is simply a geographic issue. Blacks concentrated in the South are less likely than Blacks in the North to learn about contraception in their formative years. Blacks are still heavily concentrated in the South. Misinformation about contraception and a laissez faire attitude towards them are a reason why Blacks have higher teen pregnancy rates.

It's not truly a cultural thing, but rather a series of inequalities that lead to such statistics.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:44 AM

249 posts, read 193,837 times
I really am interested to see if somebody can produce a study which links welfare as the cause of increased birthrates.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:06 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
why do you care so much? You should be jumping for joy, you and your stormfront buddies should be happy that blacks are struggling.
The question is, why are blacks still struggling? Does it have any thing to do with some using the welfare system as a way of life, rather than a bridge to a better life.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:20 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
Blacks are also less likely to learn about contraception than their White counterparts. Part of this is simply a geographic issue. Blacks concentrated in the South are less likely than Blacks in the North to learn about contraception in their formative years. Blacks are still heavily concentrated in the South. Misinformation about contraception and a laissez faire attitude towards them are a reason why Blacks have higher teen pregnancy rates.
I don't think that it's a matter of not knowing what a rubber is.

I think that they just (for some reason) refuse to use them.

Or actually want pregnancy regardless of their economic situation.

Also, someone mentioned earlier that Grandparents help in raising the kids. If Daddy ain't around - neither is the Daddy's Daddy.

The problem really becomes exaggerated in poor neighborhoods like in Detroit.

People are talking about it not being a problem - that it's just characteristic of the Black "family" structure.

But when you have cities like Detroit where you have several thousand single parent homes all in one place - and no discipline - crime is terrible.

Do Blacks really find this acceptable?

My response would be YES.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:29 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
There are many reasons. We do find that as income and education rises, divorce rates fall. Studies at the state level show that states that are above the national average in income and education have lower divorce rates. Economic stability is conducive to staying married. As financial tension in a given household increases, so does divorce. This paradigm usually works in an up economy. During the Great Depression and the Great Recession, divorce rates fell, simply because it was not economically advantageous.

Income stability is but one factor. What about incarceration rates? Black males are more likely to have higher conviction rates and longer sentences for the same crimes as their White counterparts. Simply put, if a Black male and a White male committed the same crime, the Black male is likely to serve a harsher sentence. Of course there are exceptions.

It's not truly a cultural thing, but rather a series of inequalities that lead to such statistics.
For the most part, this response is incorrect. I dont think it's a social inequity at all. I think it's more about cultural differences.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:32 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
For the most part, this response is incorrect. I dont think it's a social inequity at all. I think it's more about cultural differences.
If it was a social inequity, the trends would correlate with the extent to which blacks were socially unequal. But they don't. Quite the opposite in fact.

The white out of wedlock birth rate has skyrocketed too. Does this mean that whites are now subject to this social inequity as well? This is where the lefty argument goes straight to hell.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Funny how the same posters here that hate gays also hate blacks and of-course anyone else not white like them. And many also seem to be Birthers. I guess those that hate are good at spreading it around, unfortunately they aso breed and spread it to their offspring. One must be taught to hate and the only way to stop the cycle is through ones own individual thought processes and a little bit of common sense does not hurt.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Nah,

They have REAL families now. Families so strong that you can't tear them apart.

Just not enough Fathers in the home.
We have always had real families then and now so strong that you cannot tear them apart and always a smaller amount of fathers in the homes than other groups. You can thank slavery for that as well as the comment below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I agree but it should be noted that the out of wedlock birth rate in Jamaica is an excess of 90%. I guess it's lower in the rest o the Caribbean.
This is true as well. Jamaica's system of slavery was much more brutal than here in the US. When there is a history of ripping apart traditional mother/father family groups over a long period of time, unfortunately this becomes a normal occurrence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Because most of these woman are on welfare and it is a huge drain on the taxpayer. These kids are a ''cash cow'' to these women and the more you have the more money you get. They need to put a limit on the amount of kids they will pay for, like 2. Another thing, where in the hill are the fathers, to take responsibility for their kids. The system has created an enviroment for black men to screw em and leave em and welfare will take care of them and they know it. Just another way to work the system.
It is not a huge drain on tax payers. There are already limits on welfare and most people are only on welfare for 2-3 years so it is not a "cash cow" like you say it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The question is, why are blacks still struggling? Does it have any thing to do with some using the welfare system as a way of life, rather than a bridge to a better life.
The large majority of blacks are not struggling so your main point of this post is incorrect. The use of welfare has gone down substantially over the years in the black community so welare has been a bridge for many to build a better life. I admit my own mom was on welfare after I was born. She was a teen mom with 2 kids and a drop out. Today she is a business owner who makes above median income for white people (more thank 50K) she has 2 employees and got her GED and a college degree on top of that. The majority of the black women I know who received any sort of assistance used it to step up their lives. Only the low of the low want to remain on welfare forever and contrary to what you believe, the large marjority of black women aren't in that category. Single black women (those who have children out of wedlock from the beginning and not made single moms as a result of divorce) are more likely to get college degrees than single white women with similar circumstances. Also many social programs that aren't actual welfare require that women work or either go to school to get benefits and this includes section 8 and family public housing as well as daycare assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies