Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:54 AM

155 posts, read 134,967 times

Advertisements

I have never smoked it but these are the reasons I think it should be legal.

A) Tax revenue. As it stands billions of dollars of tax revenue is not being collected because it is all underground. Putting a tax on it will generate revenue for the country.

B) Saving millions (if not billions of tax dollars). We pay to incarcerate lots of our fellow Americans for having some pot. Prison is expensive to the taxpayers.

C) We put the Mexican cartels in a tough position. They earn billions by the underground pot business and making it legal will put a huge dent in their business.

D) Marijuana is no more dangerous then tobacco.

E) Will free law enforcement to focus on things that matter.

Countries that have made it legal have NOT shown a increase in pot use BTW for some who are wondering. If anyone has anything more to add agree/disagree I would like to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 12:05 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,225,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw1981 View Post

A) Tax revenue. As it stands billions of dollars of tax revenue is not being collected because it is all underground. Putting a tax on it will generate revenue for the country.

B) Saving millions (if not billions of tax dollars). We pay to incarcerate lots of our fellow Americans for having some pot. Prison is expensive to the taxpayers.

C) We put the Mexican cartels in a tough position. They earn billions by the underground pot business and making it legal will put a huge dent in their business.

Countries that have made it legal have NOT shown a increase in pot use BTW for some who are wondering. If anyone has anything more to add agree/disagree I would like to hear it.
Pot is far less harmful to the human body than alcohol!

Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,615 times
It's simple, it should be legal because it's a naturally growing plant that needs nothing but drying to smoke. I smoked for years and still would if I could without risking my home and possessions to the state and federal gestapo.

FWIW, I'm a retired cop and conservative as they come but on the issue of drugs I'm pure libertarian.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:22 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaw1981 View Post

Anyone that 'knows' me here knows that I whole-heartedly agree.

I quit smoking cigs almost a year and half ago. I still smoke weed and have no where near the breathing trouble I had smoking cigs.

Also, alcohol is legal and a potential killer. Weed is not. Legal. Or a pontential killer. Go figure.

How about that... I just went to one of my very first threads to post here and make a point. When I clicked on Myths and Facts About Marijuana ('drugpolicy.org' within the thread) there was a petition. Yes I filled it in.

Lawmakers are trying to outlaw the compounds found in synthetic marijuana and 'bath-salts'. Rightfully so at that. Making marijuana legal would stop the demand for these highly dangerous MAN MADE CHEMICALS.

Had a lot of discussion with this thread...

//www.city-data.com/forum/great...-how-many.html

Old 05-26-2012, 12:31 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,225,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Anyone that 'knows' me here knows that I whole-heartedly agree.

I quit smoking cigs almost a year and half ago. I still smoke weed and have no where near the breathing trouble I had smoking cigs.

Also, alcohol is legal and a potential killer. Weed is not. Legal. Or a pontential killer. Go figure.

How about that... I just went to one of my very first threads to post here and make a point. When I clicked on Myths and Facts About Marijuana ('drugpolicy.org' within the thread) there was a petition. Yes I filled it in.

Lawmakers are trying to outlaw the compounds found in synthetic marijuana and 'bath-salts'. Rightfully so at that. Making marijuana legal would stop the demand for these highly dangerous MAN MADE CHEMICALS.

Had a lot of discussion with this thread...

//www.city-data.com/forum/great...-how-many.html
Mother Nature knows best!

Old 05-26-2012, 02:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times

Pineapple Express "Item 9" - YouTube
This makes my laugh and why it should be legal...

Old 05-26-2012, 02:54 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
reason number 17.5 clean out the prisons.. just imagine how many people that are in prison for mj offences,, now imagine when these people get sick in prison, you know like when one of these mj inmates gets a burst appendix, or cancer or some other ailment, who pays for that?? well that would be you..!!!

Old 05-26-2012, 02:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times
Marijuana should be legal for private use for people above age 21. Public intoxication and use should remain illegal in my opinion. Driving under the influence of marijuana should have the same penalty as a DWI.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
I think they need to cut the welfare handouts but give the former welfare recipients pot because then they won't care about anything else. They won't be as ready to riot and burn stores when their food stamps are slashed in half.

Also all prison luxuries should be eliminated -- no more fancy gyms, televisions, movies. And the food needs to be cut back to very basics like stale bread and bolony but let the prisoners grow pot and supply themselves with unlimited quantities of it so they will feel more relaxed and sit around in drug stupors and be easier to handle. Then maybe we could cut down on the number of prison guards for them.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:05 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
the major reasons why Pot is not Legal:

#1.Big Pharma spends billions to Lobby against it and spend billions to ensure it stays Illegal even though it has mecical benfit to people that are sick in some case but it is cheap to grow and anyone could grow it and then they don't make much profit on it....so they are against it becoming Legal.

#2. alcohol and tobacco lobby are against it as it would eat into their market share and profits esp if you make/sell Beer or Booze or own a Pub, Club or Bar.

#3. The Private Prisons would lose money by not being able to put people in jail and the less people in prision mean reduced profits for them.

#4. The DEA and Local, Federal and State police departments would lose Federal and State funding to fight the war on drugs.... So it is in their best interests to keep pot Illegal also.

#5. The orginal Reason pot was made illegal was because of the forestry and paper/pulp industry being worried about a cheap Re-newable Replacement for paper that would of killed of a large part of the Forrest Industry and shut down unionized saw and paper mills..So they were against it back in the 1930's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies