Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times

Advertisements

It's simple. There is no law saying that you have to buy the shirt, and if it bothers you that much, then simply don't shop there.

Christ Almighty! Is there anything in this world that people won't b*** and moan about anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

344 posts, read 395,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The Family Research Council and American Family Association are steamed. The AFA says Target is "ramming same-sex marriage down the throats of the American people".

American Family Association, Family Research Council Attack Target for Selling 'Pride' T-Shirts | rightwingwatch.org

And now Target is blocking emails from the American Family Association. Apparently, they're being bombarded with complaints from angry right-wingers.

AFA ActionAlert - Target donating its sales to gay marriage group
Well, I might as well put in my two cents worth.

I am all for gay marriage, gay rights, and all of those things. I took the time to write a blog entry supporting gay marriage. However, I've always had a little trouble with the notion of a specific demographic based on sexual preference. The simple concept of a gay parade has always seemed a little odd to me. On the other hand, there is nothing "morally wrong" with what Target is doing. I'm unclear as to their motive, but there's nothing morally wrong with selling gay pride T-shirts.

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Exactly as gallowsCalibrator says. Target is free to sell the shirts, and people are free to boycott and object to their hearts content. This won't stop me from shopping there.

What is interesting about this story is that Target almost certainly has crunched a ton of numbers before deciding to sell these shirts. I bet they even ran some focus groups to try to predict the PR fallout. Anyone remember this story from a couple months ago?
How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did - Forbes

A father complained to Target that his daughter had received ad material from Target for maternity clothing. The daughter was a high school student, and dad was outraged. A little later dad called Target back to apologize. Turned out that daughter was indeed pregnant, and Target's marketing computers knew it before dad had a clue.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:02 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Exactly as gallowsCalibrator says. Target is free to sell the shirts, and people are free to boycott and object to their hearts content. This won't stop me from shopping there.

What is interesting about this story is that Target almost certainly has crunched a ton of numbers before deciding to sell these shirts. I bet they even ran some focus groups to try to predict the PR fallout. Anyone remember this story from a couple months ago?
How Target Figured Out A Teen Girl Was Pregnant Before Her Father Did - Forbes

A father complained to Target that his daughter had received ad material from Target for maternity clothing. The daughter was a high school student, and dad was outraged. A little later dad called Target back to apologize. Turned out that daughter was indeed pregnant, and Target's marketing computers knew it before dad had a clue.

Whoops!

Old 05-23-2012, 02:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Gah, we just got back from Wal-Mart a couple hours ago. They were trying to ram fishing down our throats! You shoulda seen it, a whole aisle full of fishing gear and accessories. I was quite offended.

From the article via the first link...

This infuriates me! What is it that a retailer "should be doing"? Making money, is that all!? Have no moral sense, just business sense. Sell your soul to the almighty dollar? Screw what Britt Beemer says. Target is doing exactly what they should be doing, because being pro-gay is the only moral way to be, period. Bet if they were spewing anti-gay hatred like conservative extremists just love to do, Target would be suddenly doing "what they should be doing"

Also...

What voters? Every poll I've seen shows approval of legalizing gay marriage climbing steadily. You know what?

Lying is a far cry from "what they should be doing".
Target operates in all 31 states that have banned gay marriage. Talk about not having a finger on the pulse of America.

Your diatribe is essentially moot.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:04 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Apparently you folks have never followed Hillbuzz. It's a group of gay fellows who were madly in love with Hillary. When the Dem party dumped her in favor of Obammy, they defected and went conservative.

Check out their website. They have published apologies to W and Laura, Sarah, etc.
And HillBuzz is not too smart are they? They are apologizing to W, Laura and Googly eyes while North Carolina punches them in the face and the GOP demonizes them at every opportunity. The PUMAs are a bunch of angry women who really wanted to see Hillary win. If they can switch parties over that, they never truly support Hillary.

We are ready for Hillary now, didn't want Bill followed by Hillary the very next term and we are excited for her to run. Hillary's ideology is the opposite of W and Googly eyes as you very well know. I don't regret voting for Obama and I very much look forward to voting for Hillary.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:06 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
Back in my day stores sold Black Pride & Peace shirts....Didnt hurt their profits! Get a Life folks Live & let Live!

I Betting justs as many Straight Peole buy & wear them as Gays!

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Target operates in all 31 states that have banned gay marriage. Talk about not having a finger on the pulse of America.

Your diatribe is essentially moot.
And Target will operate in those 31 states because even these states people value individualism, over collectivism that you're counting on.

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'll be sure to shop at Target more now! Supporting pride in oneself is not exactly an extreme social statement. Aren't there any gay republicans? I guess not any more seeing how y'all make them feel so welcome in that big tent of yours.
Why in the world does anyone need to advertise his/her sexual preferences for all the world to see? If you want the government out of your bedroom (homo or heterosexuals alike) shouldn't you also respect others and not flaunt your bedroom out into public for all the world to see? Or is it just about exhibitionism and the self-centered inclinations of gay activists?

Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why in the world does anyone need to advertise his/her sexual preferences for all the world to see? If you want the government out of your bedroom (homo or heterosexuals alike) shouldn't you also respect others and not flaunt your bedroom out into public for all the world to see?
Why in the world would you whine about others' sexual preferences and freedom of expression? Because you label self a "libertarian"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies