Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:40 AM

1,187 posts, read 995,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LOL, "somehow forgot", or "it didn't get to the school at the beginning of the year". For a bunch of people that yap incessantly about "personal responsibility", this seems to be a primo example of lack thereof. Nine months later, the mom still hadn't "remembered" or "got it to the school".
I agree, and said so many times in the post you're quoting, that the mother was dumb for not having the paper work filled out. However, the whole idea that she had to do that every year... or even that she had to do that in the first place is the real stupidity. Personal responsibility isn't handing over your life saving meds to a nurse, personal responsbility is taking care of yourself in the first place, which school policy says can't happen.

The policy is stupid, the principal is stupid, the nurse was REALLY stupid, and the mom was stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
I agree, and said so many times in the post you're quoting, that the mother was dumb for not having the paper work filled out. However, the whole idea that she had to do that every year... or even that she had to do that in the first place is the real stupidity. Personal responsibility isn't handing over your life saving meds to a nurse, personal responsbility is taking care of yourself in the first place, which school policy says can't happen.

The policy is stupid, the principal is stupid, the nurse was REALLY stupid, and the mom was stupid.
The policy is not stupid. Here's the RW, constantly yapping about schools doing things w/o parent's knowledge, advocating that schools be able to medicate kids with prescription medication w/o a physician's approval?

We don't know everything that happened in this situation, and probably never will, but the mom was remiss in getting the information to the school, for certain.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:34 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Are people serioulsy suggesting that kids aged 4 through 18 be able to carry their own medications at school?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:

I agree with this 100% particularly at the high school level.
A kid with a chronic disorder has to know how to manage that disorder his- or her-self.
It makes no kind of sense to expect them to go from high school to college/university without these skills.

Last edited by TigerLily24; 05-25-2012 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Are people serioulsy suggesting that kids aged 4 through 18 be able to carry their own medications at school?
Maybe not 4 year olds, but certainly, absolutely 18 year olds.

My son carried an inhaler with him at all times from at least the 6th grade on.
It was part and parcel of training him to manage his asthma himself.
Many kids do not take having a chronic disorder seriously and so do not treat the symptoms immediately when medication would have the greatest effect.

Kids with asthma should never believe that they can wait to use their inhalers if they are feeling any distress or tightness in their chests.

Nor should they ever have to feel the emotional distress that comes from not having access to the inhaler as that only exacerbates the situation.

There are still too many instances of kids dying from asthmatic episodes in this country because either they, their parents or someone else didn't take their breathing difficulties seriously.

Anyway, back to this situation, rather predictably:

"Lawyer Mark Lippman, who represents George and Cindy Anthony, was hired Thursday to represent Michael Rudi, 17, a Deltona High School senior whose inhaler was taken away Friday after a backpack search. "

Parents Of Student Denied Inhaler Get Attorney - Local News - Orlando, FL - msnbc.com

Old 05-25-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The policy is not stupid. Here's the RW, constantly yapping about schools doing things w/o parent's knowledge, advocating that schools be able to medicate kids with prescription medication w/o a physician's approval?

We don't know everything that happened in this situation, and probably never will, but the mom was remiss in getting the information to the school, for certain.
It's not the schools place to medicate children. But it's also not their place to take away the child's medicine! Until recently you didn't NEED a prescription for an inhaler, so there shouldn't be any need to get a physicians aproval or even a parents approval for a child to have his inhaler with him! Just like asprin and tylenol shouldn't need a parents note for the child to have some in their pocket. They aren't illegal drugs nor are the controlled substances. I could understand if it were vicodin or something like that, but it wasn't. It was a simple inhaler that should have been left in the hands of the person who needed it! I can't believe people like you are defending this! sheesh!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Why shouldn't they? As long as they aren't controlled substances like vicodin. Why would it matter if the child had it in their possession?

Old 05-25-2012, 11:41 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
GuyNTexas.....did you miss the part where I said I think kids should be allowed to carry there own meds on them.....just like we did when I was in school?

I do not condone the mindless, zero-tolerance policies that are all the rage now.....I have just pointed out HOW and WHY they have come about.....I am not defending them.
Listen .. I'll type this slowly .... "Why they have come about" is offering a reason. But there is no reason to be found in a thoroughly unreasonable action, anymore than there is an explanation for an inexplicable action .. or an excuse for an inexcusable action ... or justification in an unjust action ... or logic in an illogical action. Offering a reason why something was done is a form of tacit approval regardless of any other caveats like "although, if it were me, I would have balh, blah, blah ....".

And this is important ... so please pay attention .... when I say there is no explanation ... I mean there is no legitimate explanation at "face value". But there is an explanation for why something crazy like this happens. Here's the rule of thumb .... whenever something happens that makes no sense at all ... and people who should know better do something as absurd as allowing a kid to collapse at the feet of a school nurse who is holding the needed medication, but refuses to give it ... there is an underlying explanation ... and it has nothing to do with the explanation given which makes no sense. The liability excuse makes no sense, and is pure bovine excrement .. . given that it was 1) medication prescribed by a doctor ... 2) the Kid's name was on the prescription ... 3) the school found it in the kid's school locker and took it away ... 4) the symptoms of asthma do not require a medical degree to diagnose, and the nurse shouldn't be a nurse if is she's that bloody stupid not to recognize an asthma attack ... 5) the kid was 17 years old .. has been attending the same school for 2-3 years, and his asthmatic condition was already known .... given that background information, the ONLY rational course of action for any reasonably thinking person would be to SIMPLY HAND THE DAMNED KID HIS ASTHMA INHALER ... PERIOD ... END OF DEBATE. But that's not what happened, so there must be some other "explanation". And we'll get to what that is in a moment.

Quote:
And....it is not a liberal vs conservative problem.

It is crazy parents of both persuasions who sue at the drop of a hat.
It most certainly is a liberal versus conservative issue ... since the foundational conflict between the two ideologies revolves around authoritarianism and whether or not the "State" has parental like authority over the public, who need "parental" permission from authorities versus not needing it ... in this particular case, extending to the permission to breathe.

This issue is literally dripping with the liberal "nanny state" mentality which places "authorities" in a parental role to make decisions for the adult children who embrace their "child-like" status. And there you go again, blaming the actual parents ... and not the bureaucratic IDIOTS and MISCREANTS running the school.

Fact is, I totally reject your "rationale" ... i.e. the school simply protecting itself against possible lawsuits as an illegitimate premise to begin with .. you keep saying it ... but there is no evidence of these truckloads of frivolous lawsuits you keep alluding to. It's total crap. In any case, a rational thinking person could not possibly see legal liability in simply allowing a 17 year old student to use HIS asthma inhaler that was prescribed to HIM by a doctor for use during an asthma attack. Any thought of liability would obviously come from the school literally withholding that needed medication from him during an emergency How can anyone be so bloody dense?

Let me now explain to you and others what this is really about ... this is about adopting policies that will "encourage" a change in the nature of the relationship between the school, students and parents which will "necessitate" the school having more power, by eliminating these parental rights restrictions placed on them! That's what is going on here ... since there is no legitimate rationale for why a nurse would allow a student to collapse on the floor, while continuing to refuse the kid his doctor prescribed medication, this is the only explanation that makes any sense whatsoever. This is a very transparent case of "See what you made me do? .... If we school officials didn't have these parental rights restrictions handcuffing us, we could have given the medication ... so, get rid of these restrictions, and that will prevent these types of problems from occurring in the future!"

Problem-Reaction-Solution ... it really is quite overt, if not so obvious to the non-thinkers out there. Nevertheless, this is the goal ... the universal adotion of rules like that which exists in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, where 12 year olds can now give "medical consent" for the schools to administer HPV vaccine to them, without needing parental consent. This opens the door wide for the schools and officials to usurp parental rights .... it's just what's best for the kids, you know? Let's let the wise authorities decide ... they know what's best .. they're professionals.

This ain't rocket science, though it is quite insidious. These types of manipulations also seem quite effective with the liberal mindset who already embraces the nanny state mentality, and fall for these rather obvious manipulations, time after time. So belays the laughable idea of the "intellectual superiority" of the leftist crowd.

Quote:
Hell, I had to threaten to call children's services once on a neighbor who was allowing his grandchild to climb on a wishing well in my landscaping.

Why? Because if the kid fell off of it and broke a bone they would have probably sued me.

Hire a neighbor kid to mow the yard, shovel the driveway? Hell no! I would be crazy to take on that kind of liability.

And yes, if I saw a kid in trouble, I would have to think twice before I put myself at risk by intervening. Unlike that nurse, my first instinct would be to call 911 before I put myself out there.
My, my my, does this speak volumes, or what! You "had to" threaten grandma next door with CPS to keep the brat off your landscaping? Why? Not because you cared at all about the child's welfare (which you directly confessed), but to protect you from a possible lawsuit!!!

You sadly personify EVERYTHING that is wrong with our society today.

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 05-25-2012 at 12:10 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
It's not the schools place to medicate children. But it's also not their place to take away the child's medicine! Until recently you didn't NEED a prescription for an inhaler, so there shouldn't be any need to get a physicians aproval or even a parents approval for a child to have his inhaler with him! Just like asprin and tylenol shouldn't need a parents note for the child to have some in their pocket. They aren't illegal drugs nor are the controlled substances. I could understand if it were vicodin or something like that, but it wasn't. It was a simple inhaler that should have been left in the hands of the person who needed it! I can't believe people like you are defending this! sheesh!
Somebody gets it!! Thank God ... there are thinking people left in this God-Forsaken nightmare of a nation of dolts.

1) the damned degradation of the environment coupled with overuse of vaccines are leading to the explosions of these maladies that used to be quite rare ... like the wide spread asthma and other chronic conditions affecting youngsters.

2) the inhaler for asthmatics should not require a doctor's prescription .. we all have the right to breathe, and access to that which will mitigate chronic conditions like asthma.

3) the schools should be educating students ... not playing parent, or doctor or law enforcement .... or violating the privacy of students by routinely searching their lockers like common criminals in a state penitentiary. These students are people too, and if you want to instill the principles of individual rights and liberty for which this nation was founded upon, you teach by example. But that is the point, is it not? Yes indeed, lets teach these little slaves the facts of life, else they leave high school thinking that they possess any semblance of autonomy, and don't have to bow to authority on command!

4) And never forget your place, kid ... see what happens when you don't comply with the rules? You can just drop dead ... nobody is going to care except your momma ... and your momma can't save you here, hahahaha! We're in charge, and don't you forget it!

What a disgusting gaggle of subservient, authority worshiping nitwits this liberal nanny state nation has created. It makes me sick and ashamed.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting that if you allow high school students certain responsibilities and personal autonomy, you must extend that to kindergartners too? Wow ... you never cease to amaze!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies