Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 AM

712 posts, read 1,366,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
Sure, you can be "free".....

Uneducated

Jobless

Homeless

Of course, your idea of "freedom" would be for the government to pay all of your expenses. There's real freedom for you......
No, we just need more small businesses, more merchants, vendors, etc and LESS large corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 07:02 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Seems to me, that you feel that life is a prison. We aren't all slaves, and we all aren't controlled. Why do the speed limit? Because driving to fast can kill you, and you can get a ticket, which costs money.

Most people are happy as long as their family is feed, housed, and taken care of. Beyond that, we have a lot of luxury that our ancestors did not have. Most middle class Americans live better then the founding fathers did. We work less hours, we get more vacations, see more places, do more things, and understand a great deal more about our world then many people did even 50 years ago.

What you are a slave to is society. The community of human beings that we are, we all want to fit in with society, to a certain level. But everyone has their own ways of rebelling.

Lighten up, enjoy life for what it is. If you aren't happy with your life, change it. Thats the wonderful thing about this country, if you're willing to sacrifice enough, try hard enough, you can do whatever it is you want.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:04 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Why are we comfortable being controlled?
Because we are social animals, just like cows, horses, sheep... and wolves.

It is hard wired into our biology.

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Right, sorry I did not mean to imply otherwise.
I did not mean to imply that you did imply otherwise, I was just trying to emphasize that the fact you brought up only supported both of our initial statements.

Quote:
It is no wonder why there is so much crime in this world too. Who in their right mind wants to be a slave and make someone else richer?
I don't see it that way.

Everything you do makes someone else richer, otherwise there would be no market for it. If you run a business with which you sell any product, you are doing the same. Just as you do when selling the output of your labor to the company you work for. People only engage in transactions that they feel leave them both "richer".

The only difference is the level of risk and initial investment you can/will put forth. Higher risk equals higher returns (if you succeed, which most don't in business).

Quote:
No, we just need more small businesses, more merchants, vendors, etc and LESS large corporations.
Agreed. But many would rather take the easy and safe route, the 9-5. Who's fault is that?

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
What sort of change do you want, specifically?
Quote:
It is no wonder why there is so much crime in this world too. Who in their right mind wants to be a slave and make someone else richer?
Would you please answer the question above ?

How are you going to provide food and shelter for yourself and the family you might want to create ? It can't all be free, someone has to produce the cereal you eat for breakfast every morning and build the car you drive to get your food stamps.

Do you have an alternative to people being productive and educated ?

I didn't think so.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The OP is correct. We are mostly wage slaves trading our irreplaceable time to earn enough money to stay alive and well enough to keep the system in operation. The primary beneficiaries of this system are the owners, some of which own enough that they do not have to work at all. We have in effect replaced tenant farming and company coal towns with commuters. Even with this we have eliminated job security that previously justified the loss of control.

Lots of folks suggest owning your own business. If you do you start trading every waking hour for business success and profit. With this profit comes the risk of losing all your wealth from the initial investment to your home and all your savings including the money reinvested in the business. This happens to 4 out of 5 people that try to work for themselves.

Do any of you have an alternative to working for someone else’s profit besides the incredible risk of your own business?

I do. Either work for the government, Federal preferred because it pays better, or for a business that contracts to the government such as a military supplier or mercenary contractor. Ideally becoming a self owned company with government contracts might be the best combination of minimum time, maximal pay and decent, so long as you contribute to your congress critter’s campaign fund, security. Some people have become very wealth doing this.

Another alternative is go into the underworld illegal business at fairly low first cost but with very high profit once you raise high enough in the pseudo amway scheme along with high personal danger because of the lawless nature of the business. Only do this if you have some knowledge of the business and you are completely out of any alternatives. This is why crime is so prevalent in areas with failed conventional economic systems.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:06 AM

712 posts, read 1,366,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Seems to me, that you feel that life is a prison.
No way buddy, life is beautiful but society is not. We all just need to work less, work smarter and have MORE free time. I have been advocating 30 hour work weeks, work from home and even shorter school time.

On the school note, there is NO need for 12 years + college. That's crazy! its 16 years of FULL TIME schoolin' where it really should be no more than 5-8 years all together with shorter days like 4-6 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If you aren't happy with your life, change it. .
I am making a change not just for me, but for all the other slaves out there... by inciting conversation on the subject.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
I am making a change not just for me, but for all the other slaves out there... by inciting conversation on the subject.
Most people are not interested in a change.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Because we are social animals, just like cows, horses, sheep... and wolves.

It is hard wired into our biology.
channeling your inner prison guard?
Voluntary interaction is not the same as forced.

Jews in a boxcar vs. a bible study group meeting

get it?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
No way buddy, life is beautiful but society is not. We all just need to work less, work smarter and have MORE free time. I have been advocating 30 hour work weeks, work from home and even shorter school time.
Yes but the simple fact is that working and learning less leads to less productivity therefore less money therefore lower standard of living.

Of course you are free to take that route, but it will show up on your bank statements.

Quote:
On the school note, there is NO need for 12 years + college. That's crazy! its 16 years of FULL TIME schoolin' where it really should be no more than 5-8 years all together with shorter days like 4-6 hours.
I shouldn't have to put gas in my car in order for it to go. I think it's ridiculous.

World we live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Most people are not interested in a change.
Also true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies