Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The idiotic things ppl post, this one sets a new low. Welfare queens are buying pop, pouring the pop down the drain for a few pennies for the can or bottle. Wow, what a clever scam, spend a buck to pocket a few pennies, really ingenious.

You know anyone with a 70 IQ? FYI, most ppl with a 70 IQ are barely able to care for themselves. My sister, with cerebral palsy, has a 70 IQ. Without the work offered by a sheltered workshop, the help of her social worker, my mom to manage he money and pay her bills, and a section 8 apartment she would be institutionalized.

Facts that are missed by you ignorant self center wingnuts is poor ppl are poor because of functional limitations. Ppl living in poverty aren't there because they're lazy or they are enjoying themselves, they are there because there are zero opportunities for the underclass. If YOU had a business would you hire someone with a 70 IQ when someone with a 95 IQ was available? Would YOU hire a disabled person that needed accommodations that cost $$$, especially if they were less productive than an able bodied person?

No need to respond I already know the answer, to ppl like you our underclass are disposable and we shouldn't allow them to live....
Reading comprehension problem?

I didn't say the truly disabled are committing fraud. The vast majority of welfare recipients do not have cerebral palsy, the vast majority are able-bodied with IQ's over 70. Someone with an IQ of 70 but not able-bodied isn't what I was referring to.

Someone with an IQ of 70 with functioning arms and legs can work and if they would work, we wouldn't need to import all the third world in to do pick lettuce. Notice how the illegals are never unemployed, they're managing to find plenty of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 10:20 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,974 times
Quote:
Hate to be critical of sis there, but it sure sounds like a life of poor planning. If you go from losing your job one day and you're wearing $2 footwear the next day, losing your job isn't the root of your problems.

FYI, middle class ppl with really nice stuff suddenly find themselves without a job and needing aid. I hand out food at the food bank to ppl that look like they're doing really good. Try looking in their eyes, that is where you'll see how they are actually doing. Being down and out is no fun, and you can see the anguish and despair in the ones that never expected to find themselves begging. Really sad.

Yeah, she made a bad decision selling all of her designer clothes in order to stay afloat the past few months. Going to a social welfare office was her last choice, not her first. I wonder why all of these formerly middle class people didn't do the same. And from my experiences with her, I have never seen shame in the other recipients eyes, is that some kind of joke on your part? Maybe you should go visit a social service offic and see if you still think most of the people are just down on their luck former middle class (hint- they're not!)

Old 05-26-2012, 10:32 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No one is defending the fraud, I question the motivation when there are bigger fish to fry.

When I try and talk to some of these posters about the bigger fish, they don't care about them, they want to address food stamps.

Most of the food stamp abuse still goes to food, not money of some kind. I feel truly awful that someone would trade food they need for money. Food is a number one priority. Everything else, even shelter, is secondary.

But I can't baby sit every person either. What I have to worry about are the big problems, then we'll fix the little ones. But when people are refusing to talk about the big problems, its not worth fixing a radio on a sinking ship. Fix the sinking first, then the radio.
I guess we'll agree to disagree. I'm a fixer...if there's a problem, I fix it. Maybe it's because that's how I run my business. Not sure...

Old 05-26-2012, 10:44 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
You're trying to paint a picture that everyone on public aid is abusing the system. Any data to support your claims. I believe that most ppl getting aid possess functional limitations that limit their abilities, that coupled with severally limited opportunities creates our underclass.

The vast majority of those receiving public aid are much like my sister.

If you want to get the underclass off public assistance like i do you need to understand their limitations and create opportunities that take those limitations into account. So far, you haven't taken the first step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Reading comprehension problem?

I didn't say the truly disabled are committing fraud. The vast majority of welfare recipients do not have cerebral palsy, the vast majority are able-bodied with IQ's over 70. Someone with an IQ of 70 but not able-bodied isn't what I was referring to.

Someone with an IQ of 70 with functioning arms and legs can work and if they would work, we wouldn't need to import all the third world in to do pick lettuce. Notice how the illegals are never unemployed, they're managing to find plenty of jobs.

Lol, you claimed she was denied Snap because she was in school, not sure what state you're in but most states allow college students to receive aid.

Can I get SNAP/Food Stamps if I am in college? - MassLegalHelp

I'm sensing the BS in your post is getting rather deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Yeah, she made a bad decision selling all of her designer clothes in order to stay afloat the past few months. Going to a social welfare office was her last choice, not her first. I wonder why all of these formerly middle class people didn't do the same. And from my experiences with her, I have never seen shame in the other recipients eyes, is that some kind of joke on your part? Maybe you should go visit a social service offic and see if you still think most of the people are just down on their luck former middle class (hint- they're not!)

Old 05-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Lol, you claimed she was denied Snap because she was in school, not sure what state you're in but most states allow college students to receive aid.

Can I get SNAP/Food Stamps if I am in college? - MassLegalHelp

I'm sensing the BS in your post is getting rather deep.
Lol nice try but if you look at the OTDA website for New York, it states under their frequently asked questions that full time students are NOT ELIGIBLE. How about you look on a .gov website next chief?

Old 05-26-2012, 11:23 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Lol nice try but if you look at the OTDA website for New York, it states under their frequently asked questions that full time students are NOT ELIGIBLE. How about you look on a .gov website next chief?
Like I said, sounds like BS...

Quote:
To meet eligibility requirements for food stamps, college students living in New York not only must be enrolled in school at least half-time and earn less than $1,107 each month, but must also either work a minimum of 20 hours a week, have a young child under their care, or be part of a government “work-study†program.
College Students Struggle for Sustenance | The New School Free Press

Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Government doesn't work....right and left....it's stealing from one group and giving it to another.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Stop being intentionally deceptive and posting quotes from news articles. The info is easily accessible on the .gov website, why are you ignoring it? Straight from otda.ny.gov/programs/food-stamps FAQ section:

"Can Students get food stamps?"

Answer- "Most able bodied students ages 18 through 49 who are enrolled at least half-time in college or other institution of higher education are not eligible for food stamps."

It's right there, if you would actually look at something factual.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:19 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,244 times
Liberal politicians will never bash welfare cheaters.
They will defend them.

In Minnesota, last year. KSTP TV did an investigative report on food stamp fraud in Minneapolis.

Republican lawmakers suggested stern warnings about cheating on every food stamp application form.

One black Democrat was furious and stated it( warning) would scare away applicants.

Yup, scare away the potential cheaters!

State Senator John Marty------Democrat----then appeared on tv and said folks cashing out food stamps are just probably trying to get cash to pay their utility bills.

Liberal politicians will defend food stamp cheaters constantly.
It's all about pandering to their base for votes !

Old 05-26-2012, 12:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Just like states dismiss the high number of food stamp recipients using their cards in tourist destinations like Florida, California and Hawaii.

I read the investigative articles and the states response.."We'll look into it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies