Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:18 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Instead of trolling try to focus, this is about FRAUDULENT use of foodstamp benefits, not those who actually need them and are not commiting fraud.

Anyone commiting fraud with foodstamps should be booted off the system permanently.
You might want to re-read the OP, and if you had waited a second before getting your panties in a wad you would have seen I agree with your second stetement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 PM

59,022 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I have no problem with cutting out the abuse, but that is not the goal for some here, their goal is to cut out all assistance, there is a major difference.
You are making a pretty broad assumption based on your own bias.

Try to stay on topic. Not your assumption.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
I know it exists, he'll my sister gets food stamps, and she hasn't worked in 3 years.

Some people need them, some don't deserve them.

But 750 million is a relatively small number when considered with the rest of the budget. Much more abuse of the military budget, for instance. Let's stay focused on the big fish.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I know it exists, he'll my sister gets food stamps, and she hasn't worked in 3 years.

Some people need them, some don't deserve them.

But 750 million is a relatively small number when considered with the rest of the budget. Much more abuse of the military budget, for instance. Let's stay focused on the big fish.
3/4 of a billion here and there adds up. Concentrate on ALL the waste!

-signed, a fed-up taxpayer

Old 05-24-2012, 12:26 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You are making a pretty broad assumption based on your own bias.

Try to stay on topic. Not your assumption.
"This is absolutely disgusting! It's time to drop the hammer on the lazy, the losers, the criminals, and the otherwise non-productive members of American society."

Yes, most of the post sounds like "reform" but we all know what that last statment means. As I said I am all for reform, cutting it out all together, No.
I am on topic and I do not need your direction on anything, so save it for someone that does

Old 05-24-2012, 12:27 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." -- Mark Twain

Old 05-24-2012, 12:45 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I'm a taxpayer and I couldn't care less about cracking down on this. You're bringing up the numbers... well does it make sense to spend $30k/year to jail those who are guilty of welfare fraud to stop them from cheating the system out of $900/year?
Who said anything about a year in the slammer for food stamp fraud? Certainly not me, althought I would support it. In addition to jail time, I support a full range of punishment, including community service, and a lifetime ban on social handouts.

Further, your $900/year claim is just looney. Fraud is attractive because its lucrative. I have no doubt that we're talking numbers that far exceed $900 for those who commit these crimes. Additionally, when has cost/benefit ever been the determining factor in sentencing?

Fallacious points, once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I wouldn't expect a response to this since the cognitive dissonance would be too great.

The big three in terms of our federal budget is and will remain Medicare, Social Security, and the Military. All of these other cuts/fraud are just window dressing.

And since I have to state the obvious for Captain Obvious, let me remind you that we're not talking about Medicare, Social Security, or the Military.

Deflection is the name of the game in Liberal La La Land....I get that....but at least try to put forth something relevant to the topic at hand.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Clearly your version of "extremely successful" is different than mine. But that's a different subject.

I find it very troubling that you focus on the 1% as if that particular number is an abstract and has no correlating value. 1% of one trillion is 10 billion. 1% of ten trillion is 100 billion. Those are astronomical numbers, but they're still "1%." Where do you draw the line? Do you see why your apathy is counterproductive to the American taxpayer?
I can certainly understand why you feel that way.

Tell you what, i'll join you in your protest. But first, lets cut the Pentagon budget in half. Then i'll be an anti-food stamp warrior standing right next to you.

Deal?

Of course not. Because that stuff isn't waste to you, is it?

Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Is this what we've become as a nation? A nation of fraudulent leeches???
And this is new to you?

Our whole system is broken. I have no problem with giving people a short term helping hand to help them back on their feet....but it wouldn't be free. They need to be on "any" type of assistance for a short period of time and only once in their life the they need to pay it back. But that will never be....our government wants us to rely on them and be the little robots they can control.

I don't think imprisoning people who take advantage of the system would be a benefit. First that is more than 50% of Americans and frankly the tax payers and prison system can''t handle it.

Last edited by ylisa7; 05-24-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 12:53 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Default Every day....

I go to the local store. Every day I see young men and women with that benefit card at the register. Yet thy have iphones. And gold. And other gadgets and toys. Sure some people fall down in life, But this many people? Those folks with the bling? I know many who have fallen flat and got up again by thier bootstraps, Guns blazing. Wanting to live life and contribute.

Esp love the guys trying to buy BEER with the benefit card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies