Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:19 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
He applied for less than two jobs per day, he didn't look outside of his current town, and he didn't look into switching fields. The solution to this is for him to be smarter about hunting for a job...

Maybe he doesn't have a car (I don't), maybe he can't afford to move/relocate (I can't), maybe he can't afford retraining outside his current field (I can't). What then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I would just LOVE to see what conservatives propose as a solution to this. C'mon, step up to the plate!
how many times do us conservatives have to lay out the ideas that would put the economy on the right track before you liberals start to understand it?

we need a more business friendly environment in this country. we do that by cutting regulations, especially those that do nothing but cost business money. we simplify the tax code so that business can spend more time doing what they do best, make money, rather than spend a huge chunk of time and money trying to find ways to make the tax code work for them. when we reduce costs on business, prices come down, and consumers can afford to buy more stuff, which means there will be more demand for stuff, which means that business will need to produce more stuff, which means more JOBS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
The GOP plan is
DIE QUICKLY!!!!
i'm not kidding.
OBama better win the election or we are all screwed.
ok former representative grayson, just because you changed your location from florida to south carolina doesnt mean your lies have any more weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. At least Obama's plan would allow for pre-existing conditions, which is all this guy needs. Of course, it would be funded by the part of the plan that the Supreme Court may put the kabash on.
the obamacare health plan is a complete mess that will cost jobs and money, and will destroy the private insurance industry in time.

Quote:
I don't like Obama because he is not strong enough and caves to outside interests, but Romney is so out of touch with the common man as to seem heartless.
obama is a lying moron who has no clue as to how business works. as for romney, in bad economic times like these you cant have a heart. there are things that need to be done to fix the system, and it will hurt at first. and that is the problem with liberals and progressives, they dont want things to hurt.

Quote:
We are really choosing between two Republicans here.
are you deluded? obama is no republican, in fact he is a marxist(by his OWN admission). his problem is that he cant come out and say that because it would guarantee him losing the election. as for romney, he is a moderate republican.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:23 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I understand what you are saying, but I respectfully disagree.

Thanks for clearing it up!

And I agree with this. Emotionally, I feel for the guy, and I personally help people like that out simply because they are another human being in need. That being said, nothing should be done from a government perspective. At the end of the day, he is responsible for himself.
Fair enough. I am left wondering what part you respectfully disagree with? Is it disagreeing about government intervention?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Loss is part of life.

So learn to accept destrritution and unemployability?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
If this man could get a job his health care problems would be over. They would be covered.

<scratching head> How does that work? In decades of employment, I have never had a job with health insurance. Are you dreaming?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
how many times do us conservatives have to lay out the ideas that would put the economy on the right track before you liberals start to understand it?

I'm not a liberal and I understand that several million Americans over 50 are among the long-term unemployed, and I further understand that many of them will NEVER again be employed, whether or not the economy gets on the right track, and I also understand that there is NO politically feasible solution for them.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Maybe he doesn't have a car (I don't), maybe he can't afford to move/relocate (I can't), maybe he can't afford retraining outside his current field (I can't). What then?
He is in his 50's and hasn't saved up an emergency fund for exactly this scenario?

And I didn't know it cost anything but time to volunteer in another field or to get books from a public library and teach yourself new skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Fair enough. I am left wondering what part you respectfully disagree with? Is it disagreeing about government intervention?
I understand that what you say is true, but I disagree that it is an excuse to feel sorry for someone. S**t happens to everyone, so learn how to plan ahead and deal with your own life.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
We understand your ideas. We just know they're stupid ideas.

Quote:
we need a more business friendly environment in this country. we do that by cutting regulations, especially those that do nothing but cost business money. we simplify the tax code so that business can spend more time doing what they do best, make money, rather than spend a huge chunk of time and money trying to find ways to make the tax code work for them. when we reduce costs on business, prices come down, and consumers can afford to buy more stuff, which means there will be more demand for stuff, which means that business will need to produce more stuff, which means more JOBS.
Oh please. Businesses already pay a lower tax than employees. They have some of the lowest costs of any country on the planet here in America. The last thing we need to do is make it easier for the greedheads to get even more money.

Quote:
the obamacare health plan is a complete mess that will cost jobs and money, and will destroy the private insurance industry in time.
The private health care industry should be destroyed. All the insurance industry does is raise health care costs and deny people access to life saving treatments. The private health industry is a parasitic organism on the body of America.

Quote:
obama is a lying moron who has no clue as to how business works. as for romney, in bad economic times like these you cant have a heart. there are things that need to be done to fix the system, and it will hurt at first. and that is the problem with liberals and progressives, they dont want things to hurt.
Obama is the president of the United States who was elected in a fair election. Romney is the spoiled scion of a useless family who has done nothing with his life other than chase shamelessly after a buck.

The problem with the Reps is that they only want to "fix" things by hurting the hard working middle class and rewarding the greedy creeps who first got us all into this mess.

It's disgusting that I pay a higher tax rate than Romney does.

Quote:
are you deluded? obama is no republican, in fact he is a marxist(by his OWN admission). his problem is that he cant come out and say that because it would guarantee him losing the election. as for romney, he is a moderate republican.
Obama is a Republican. His health care plan is the same as Romney's. Romney isn't much of anything but a greedy, unaware idiot with no sense of what life is like for the Americans he dare proposes to govern.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:04 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. At least Obama's plan would allow for pre-existing conditions, which is all this guy needs. Of course, it would be funded by the part of the plan that the Supreme Court may put the kabash on.

I don't like Obama because he is not strong enough and caves to outside interests, but Romney is so out of touch with the common man as to seem heartless.

We are really choosing between two Republicans here.
That is true but with healthcare in America it is the lesser of two evils: Romney and Paul Ryan want to kill all Medicare programs. ALL. Anyone who has an elderly parent should know these facts:

Senior Home Care: $15 - $25 per hour for hourly care and $150 - $350 per day for 24-hour live-in care. Click here to find a quality Senior Home Care Agency in your area.
Nursing Home Facility: $180 - $400 per day with a variety of additional fees for beauty salon services, special meals and activities. Click here to view Caregiverlist Nursing Home Star Ratings and Costs
Assisted Living Community: $4,000 per month + additional fees for meals, special services and activities + additional cost for private duty caregiver services (see Senior Home Care costs above). Click here to view our Assisted Living Community Checklist.
Continuing Care Retirement Community: $250,000 down payment on average + $4,000 monthly rental fee (possibility of partial down-payment refund depending on length of stay and care needs).
Medicare: Reimbursement for up to 100 days in a nursing home per stay

Medicare does not pay for long-term care needs, only short-term care for rehabilitation and recovery in a nursing home. Stays are preapproved by a medical doctor. Click here for an overview of Medicare’s benefits.

Cost of Senior Home Care, Nursing Home Facilities & Assisted Living - Caregiverlist.com

There is a post on the Retirement forum I think about a man who received a 96,000.00 bill because insurance for his elderly father wasnt correctly processed, this is wrong.

If people post real stories, (Caretakers please post on this) we dont need to hear from the 25 year olds here. Healthcare is in a real crisis mode.

Can most Americans afford to pay 6-8k cash/month (not including extra hospital procedures) for long term care for a sick loved one? I highly doubt it. Obama is the only one who wont put a lien on your private property to profit medical conglomerates at the peril of Americans financial security

Old 05-25-2012, 12:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
That is true but with healthcare in America it is the lesser of two evils: Romney and Paul Ryan want to kill all Medicare programs. ALL. Anyone who has an elderly parent should know these facts:

Senior Home Care: $15 - $25 per hour for hourly care and $150 - $350 per day for 24-hour live-in care. Click here to find a quality Senior Home Care Agency in your area.
Nursing Home Facility: $180 - $400 per day with a variety of additional fees for beauty salon services, special meals and activities. Click here to view Caregiverlist Nursing Home Star Ratings and Costs
Assisted Living Community: $4,000 per month + additional fees for meals, special services and activities + additional cost for private duty caregiver services (see Senior Home Care costs above). Click here to view our Assisted Living Community Checklist.
Continuing Care Retirement Community: $250,000 down payment on average + $4,000 monthly rental fee (possibility of partial down-payment refund depending on length of stay and care needs).
Medicare: Reimbursement for up to 100 days in a nursing home per stay

Medicare does not pay for long-term care needs, only short-term care for rehabilitation and recovery in a nursing home. Stays are preapproved by a medical doctor. Click here for an overview of Medicare’s benefits.

Cost of Senior Home Care, Nursing Home Facilities & Assisted Living - Caregiverlist.com

There is a post on the Retirement forum I think about a man who received a 96,000.00 bill because insurance for his elderly father wasnt correctly processed, this is wrong.

If people post real stories, (Caretakers please post on this) we dont need to hear from the 25 year olds here. Healthcare is in a real crisis mode.

Can most Americans afford to pay 6-8k cash/month (not including extra hospital procedures) for long term care for a sick loved one? I highly doubt it. Obama is the only one who wont put a lien on your private property to profit medical conglomerates at the peril of Americans financial security
What is your plan to pay for healthcare then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies