Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 04:48 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times

Advertisements

An article i found that i thought some of you might be interested in.

The Link contains four short videos and 4 written articles.

BBC News - Trafficked: Sex slaves seduced and sold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

This is a topic that few of the nativists and so called "anti illegal" types want to touch with a ten foot pole.

Mainly because they don't want to admit that the illegality of prostitution in the US fuels illegal immigration, and that by legalizing prostitution we could not only end the abuses that go along with trafficking but we would also reduce illegal immigration.

Most of the "anti-illegal" types want to have their cake and eat it too - they claim to not like illegals (in reality, it's not liking Latinos and to a much lesser extent not liking Asians) but they don't want to change American society in such a way that would reduce illegal immigration further.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:50 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
There's actually data that suggests legalization of prostitution in the Netherlands has actually increased organized crime around the business. One model I'm a fan of is the Swedish model... if I'm not mistaken, it makes it illegal to purchase sex but not to provide it. You avoid prosecuting women who may have been trafficked while also targeting the demand for it.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:18 AM

712 posts, read 1,366,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

And your question/comment is?? Or are we into just blindly pasting links from other sites now?

Old 05-25-2012, 02:37 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
And your question/comment is?? Or are we into just blindly pasting links from other sites now?
I have no idea what 'we' are doing, you want to watch out for that.

I can tell you what 'I' was doing though, i was posting something on my way out the door and thought i'd get back to it when i was able.

This isn't too dissimilar to what's happening in Europe with an increase in sex-slave and white slavery from Eastern Europe into Central Europe. Almost all the prostitutes/slaves are illegal immigrants. Some are brought in and others are 'recruited' from illegals that are found localy.

Here is a link to the issue with regards to the UK.

Nowhere to turn: Britain's sex slaves | Life and style | The Guardian

The problem is how to stop it. Poor people want a better life and many seem to take the risk of trusting these traffickers in the hope of getting it. I can't imagine this is what they were expecting and the articles would certainly seem to re-inforce that.

People need to start handing over the traffickers to the authorities but they're very hard to catch with a mass of middle-men in between them and the punter paying the money.

The following link is worth a read for those that are interested in the UK laws on prostitution and how local police and authorities are trying to help them as far as they're able because as most will admit, prostitution isn't going away anytime soon.

Prostitution Reform - Helping to combat sexual slavery

Old 05-25-2012, 08:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
There's actually data that suggests legalization of prostitution in the Netherlands has actually increased organized crime around the business. One model I'm a fan of is the Swedish model... if I'm not mistaken, it makes it illegal to purchase sex but not to provide it. You avoid prosecuting women who may have been trafficked while also targeting the demand for it.
Sweden, since introducing those laws, has seen a decrease in the number of Swedish citizens involved in prostitution. However, it has seen a massive increase in not only illegal immigration but specifically human trafficking for the purpose of prostitution. It's more social engineering that goes against human nature.

Said "data from the Netherlands" comes from rather biased sources like Phyllis Schlafly and Melissa Farley. Expecting them to provide reliable statistics related to prostitution is like expecting Orly Taitz to provide reliable information regarding Obama's birth certificate or expecting Move On to provide reliable information regarding Republican voters.

New Zealand's model of full legalization has decreased the involvement of minors and illegal immigrants in the world's oldest profession, and that is a better model to emulate. Like it or not prostitution will never go away. Might as well make it safe and legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies