Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 02:02 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

You don't have hopes, dreams or high aspirations. You aren't intelligent, nor are you capable of making wise choices. You are not a human being... you have no part to play in the world around you. You don't care about others and you don't think about the future.

You are a consumer. You exists to consume... to eat and eat and EAT until you die... nothing more.

Is that what you are? Of course not!! So why don't you get flaming mad whenever a public personality calls you a consumer?

When are we gonna demand to be citizens again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 02:04 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,946 times
Okay, I'm offended.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:05 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Who isn't a consumer? Might make for an easier count?

There can be no capitalism without consumption.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:31 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Who isn't a consumer? Might make for an easier count?

There can be no capitalism without consumption.
There can be no life without consumption.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:39 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Why be offended about being a consumer? Who isn't? It is possible to be a consumer and also have other roles in the world. Providers of goods or services are consumers of other good and services. I know some consumers that manage to be citizens as well. In fact, it would be good if some of the citizens would consume more information.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:50 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You don't have hopes, dreams or high aspirations. You aren't intelligent, nor are you capable of making wise choices. You are not a human being... you have no part to play in the world around you. You don't care about others and you don't think about the future.

You are a consumer. You exists to consume... to eat and eat and EAT until you die... nothing more.

Is that what you are? Of course not!! So why don't you get flaming mad whenever a public personality calls you a consumer?

Seriously?

Hey genius - you can be a consumer and a citizen at the same time. Those terms are not mutually exclusive.

By definition, if you consume, you are a consumer. You eat food. You use electricity. You bought the computer you're reading this post on. You are a consumer.

All that's going on right now, and this is what you're whining about. No wonder our country is in such a mess - people are crying over the stupidest things, while ignoring what's actually important!

Old 05-25-2012, 02:53 PM

69 posts, read 67,703 times
I was thinking about this just the other day. News reports are always referencing "consumers" - except every four years we are referred to as "voters".

It's as if all the "powers that be" care about is our money or our votes.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:57 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

Well it tells you that you are nothing more than a customer to them, which means they want your money. As long as you are offering a quality product at a reasonable price, I have no problem, but if you are not offering anything to me I would see it as offensive.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:20 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
There can be no life without consumption.
That is true as well. But I don't think of consumer in terms of "life" but surely do when thinking economy.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:46 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Seriously?

Hey genius - you can be a consumer and a citizen at the same time. Those terms are not mutually exclusive.

By definition, if you consume, you are a consumer. You eat food. You use electricity. You bought the computer you're reading this post on. You are a consumer.

All that's going on right now, and this is what you're whining about. No wonder our country is in such a mess - people are crying over the stupidest things, while ignoring what's actually important!
Do you like the label? The word "consumer" has a much stronger, insidious meaning than "shopper". What's so wrong with "citizen"... another word with deep positive meaning?

How many people are well respected and looked up to for being a "consumer"? How many successful civilizations were there who carried consumption as their highest ideal?

How many kids looked up to their dads and said, wow, I wanna be a consumer, just like my daddy?

I swear, some people are so edgy when they think someone is telling them how to think. I'll say they aren't idiots, but they'll argue to hell and back that they are idiots, just because I said they weren't.

Demand more respect for yourselves, and stop accepting the "consumer" label. We're more than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies