Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
Thanks for playing into the whole "crabs in a barrel" mentality that many black Americans and Caribbeans perceive many Africans have. Oh, but then again you are not black.
African- Americans are not even in the barrel, that's the problem, they can't compete. They are not a competitive threat to me by any stretch of the imagination. So another strikeout on your part.

Quote:
You know this board has a search function, I challenge you to find a post where I said "the white man is to blame for all of our problems" or "we all should unite in getting back at whitey". Have I ever implied such things? White racism is the least of my concern, especially if these whites have no power to impede on the quality of my life. I judge people as individuals and not as a group.
Your posts imply as much.
Quote:
I told you earlier it is much easier to sit on your a-- and complain about it as opposed to doing something in real life about it. You just want a co-sign from people you will never meet. There is a difference in somebody like Bill Cosby saying these things, he actually has taken action on the issue. He actually has gotten his hands dirty and has done his part in actually trying to get rid of the issue. He did not hide his face like a coward on the internet, a place where everyone is a revolutionary.
You comparing me to a multimillionaire who has the influence to get his message heard. A message that was denounced by the same people posting here.

Quote:
I am not shy about telling people I am from the Caribbean, but I do not need to shove it in people's faces as if I am better than American blacks
Than you're not proud of it.

Quote:
My nationality makes me better than nobody on this planet. Also, keep in mind, many English Speaking Caribbeans have negative views of Haitians as well.
I'm aware of this attitude towards Haitians and who said anyone was better than anyonr based on nationality?

Quote:
As far as me "abandoning my culture", do you really expect most of us Caribbeans to come to this country and dress Island style, while singing in Calypso dialect? Do you think my brother and Uncle are sellouts for being foreigners in the American Army as well?
Of course not but I don't expect you to throw away all of your values in a lame attempt to curry favor with people who refuse to acknowledge that their culture is holding them back. That their behaviors negatively impact all people of African descent in this country.

As for the point of your uncles I fail to see how that is germane.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:47 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
African- Americans are not even in the barrel, that's the problem, they can't compete. They are not a competitive threat to me by any stretch of the imagination. So another strikeout on your part.

You comparing me to a multimillionaire who has the influence to get his message heard. A message that was denounced by the same people posting here.

I'm aware of this attitude towards Haitians and who said anyone was better than anyonr based on nationality?

Of course not but I don't expect you to throw away all of your values in a lame attempt to curry favor with people who refuse to acknowledge that their culture is holding them back. That their behaviors negatively impact all people of African descent in this country.

Who has more rich and powerful? Ghana or the Country of African America?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:49 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
What kind of ritual did it take to come up with edward?
Edward has a meaning, look it up. In West African culture you name children with names that have meaning. It is believed that your child will live up the name. So you name a child after someone who you respect and want your child to become later in life.

I have an African name but I was named Edward, after wait for it... Ted Kennedy. Also in Ghana we have naming rituals called outdoorings, lively affairs where the name of a child is officially introduced. So to answer your silly question that would be the ritual.

Last edited by EdwardA; 05-26-2012 at 01:11 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 12:56 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,120 times
Quote:

At this point your are simply putting words in my mouth. I am still waiting for you to find a post that you can prove that I

• Think white people are to be blamed for all of our problems
  • Hate Being Caribbean
  • Co-Sign the complacency of Blacks
  • Want blacks to continue to be in the state we are in

I am simply stating why these problems exist, they just did not arrive out of thin air. Some people are still shocked why blacks are not on the same level, financially, as white people. It is much more complicated than the fact that blacks have black skin alone and the same old "welfare" line. You don't have to be a millionaire to make a difference. My father was not a millionaire when he tutored other kids, in the hood, for free with Mathematics. Nor was he anywhere near a millionaire when we taught basic computer skills to inner city youths for free.

But I am going to enjoy this weather, bbq and learn some code. I can't carry on with worthless circular arguments.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:20 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
What kind of ritual did it take to come up with edward?
LMAO!!!!!...You do know in your heart, you were wrong for that!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2012, 01:22 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
LMAO!!!!!...You do know in your heart, you were wrong for that!!!!!!
I can't lie, I did laugh when I saw that.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
I think I agree with McWhorther...Talking about race is pointless:

Race: Why Talking About It Is Pointless

Somehow the individual issues need to be addressed; single parents, the drug war,school choice, etc.

From the above article:

Quote:
Let's have a conversation about crack. That is, laws that penalize possession and sale of crack cocaine, sold most by blacks, over powdered cocaine, sold most by whites. King and Smith think this is about "targeting blacks" and that America doesn't want to "talk" about it. But the Congressional Black Caucus was strongly behind these laws in the 1980s because selling crack on the streets destroys communities in a way that selling powder in your parents' basement in Scarsdale doesn't. Plus, inner-city residents right now typically wish the cops would do more to keep hoodlums from selling dope on their streets.

So apprising whites of their racism in a "conversation" would not do anyone any favors here. Stopping the war on drugs, which has had disproportionate effects on blacks -- as much to the surprise of black lawmakers as white ones -- would be more appropriate.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:31 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,237 times
Quote:
Edward has a meaning, look it up. In West African culture you name children with names that have meaning. It is believed that your child will live up the name. So you name a child after someone who you respect and want your child to become later in life.

I have an African name but I was named Edward, after wait for it... Ted Kennedy. Also in Ghana we have naming rituals called outdoorings, lively affairs where the name of a child is officially introduced. So to answer your silly question that would be the ritual.
Ted Kennedy the LIBERAL LION is who you are named for how ironic.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:32 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,087 times
Quote:
Every group outperforms African- Americans so he isn't off base focusing on African Americans. Also if the argument is that African- Americans are genetically predisposed to failure, highlighting the success of Africans in America helps to challenge that notion. Then folks can concentrate on the real problem, if they choose, culture.

The Widening Racial Scoring Gap on the SAT College Admissions Test
EXACTLY!

Africans are of the same genetic stock as black Americans, especially Nigerians who are from the same place that most black slave originated from. They are black too, so they face the same discrimination...and yet they excel where American born blacks lag.

So, it isn't DNA as some idiot Nazi would claim, and it isn't racism...so what answer is left? CULTURE.

Modern black American culture is disgusting and should be changed for the benefit of American blacks. Problem is, black Americans are the only group who cling to their social problems as a part of their identity, and getting away from them is seen as being inauthentic.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:32 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
The same reason foreigners out perform Americans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies