Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 06:00 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,491,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I was talking about the men, you know like barrack's daddy.
According to a survey conducted on African immigrants, the percentages of whom African immigrants married to.....

African 62%
African American 24%
White 4%
Afro-Caribbean 8%
Other 2%

Invisible Sojourners: African Immigrant Diaspora in the United States - John A. Arthur - Google Books

I also happen to know several African men married to Black American women. African immigrants tend to move in the world of educated middle/upper class Black Americans.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:11 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,286,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Thanks for sharing. More irrelevance from the usual suspects I challenge you to find where I said no crime exists in Ghana.
I NEVER asserted that YOU said no crime exists in Ghana. I would venture to say that crime in Accra could give South Central, the South Side of Chicago, or Southeast D.C. a run for the money and yes I'VE BEEN THERE.

If you are going to point out the social ills of Black Americans then it's only fair that we have a look at SOME of the social ills that plague Ghana.

You want to point fingers about the ills Black American culture at least be honest enough about YOUR OWN CULTURE.

I would suggest you familiarize yourself about the story of glass houses and stones.

By the way why aren't you actually living in Ghana?

Old 05-26-2012, 06:15 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,064,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Wow. This is pitiful.

The very people you despise are not the ones holding you down my friend. Think about who is in power. Think about you who you are trying to impress/appease with these mannerisms. You can dress in fancy suites, drive a 2013 Jaguar and speak with perfect diction.

GUESS WHAT. You'll still be followed around in a department store. Hate black america all you want. If everyone in these here United States treated everyone based on Merit, you wouldn't have to go out of your way to impress. You're going out of your way to be a shining example of the next generation mulatto™, a magical negro if you will. Your efforts are being thoroughly wasted. If you want to change the influences the influences of those in your circle, do so, but if you think you're going to change a world that's set in it's ways, longing to differentiate "us" from "them", you've got a long road ahead of you.
You just don't see the problem, do you? How can you expect everyone to treat you according to your merits, without demonstrating that you deserve it? You can't expect everyone to disregard the stereotype until that steretype is eliminated. When I was a kid, I was followed around in the candy store that was on my way to school. Obviously, other kids had stolen candy before me.

Today, if I were to dress in a manner that would make me look suspect, I would probably be followed again. I would have two choices. Either stop dressing like the people who steal or get the other people to stop stealing, if I did not want to be followed around. If it is a case of appearance that I cannot do anything about, then I can only choose to try and get the other people to stop stealing. If you could do that overnight, you have to realize that it will still take some time to get people to drop the stereotyping, but eventually they would, if they don't die off first.

You have to start somewhere, and so far wishing it away hasn't had any success.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:17 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,491,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Well if you are going to point out the social ills of Black Americans then it's only fair that we have a look at SOME of the social ills that plague Ghana.

You want to point fingers about the ills Black American culture at least be honest enough about YOUR OWN CULTURE.

Trust me, Edward does not want us to pull from the daily headlines of Ghana News or GhanaWeb

Old 05-26-2012, 06:18 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,867,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I can't believe how many stupid White people there are in America, and it's not getting any better! The way the education system is going down the drain, and university education has become unaffordable to many, I don't see a lot of hope for the US.
There have always been stupid people here.

But you're talking out of BOTH sides of your mouth with your lack of college comment. I say that far fewer people went to college 50 years ago but you all but say today's people are dumber than 50 years ago. Sheesh!

Old 05-26-2012, 06:21 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,381,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I NEVER asserted that YOU said no crime exists in Ghana. I would venture to say that crime in Accra could give South Central, the South Side of Chicago, or Southeast D.C. a run for the money and yes I'VE BEEN THERE.

If you are going to point out the social ills of Black Americans then it's only fair that we have a look at SOME of the social ills that plague Ghana.

I would suggest you familiarize yourself about the story of glass houses and stones.

You would be wrong. Ghana has a lower crime rate than the USA.

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/rw...ica/ghana.html

Quote:
The crime rate in Ghana is very low compared to industrialized countries. An analysis was done using INTERPOL data for Ghana. For purpose of comparison, data were drawn for the seven offenses used to compute the United States FBI's index of crime. Index offenses include murder, forcible rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny, and motor vehicle theft. The combined total of these offenses constitutes the Index used for trend calculation purposes. Ghana will be compared with Japan (country with a low crime rate) and USA (country with a high crime rate). According to the INTERPOL data, for murder, the rate per 100,000 population in 2000 was 2.48 for Ghana, 1.10 for Japan, and 5.51 for USA. For rape, the rate in 2000 was 6.85 for Ghana, compared with 1.78 for Japan and 32.05 for USA. For robbery, the rate in 2000 was 2.15 for Ghana, 4.08 for Japan, and 144.92 for USA. For aggravated assault, the rate in 2000 was 448.42 for Ghana, 23.78 for Japan, and 323.62 for USA. For burglary, the rate in 2000 was 1.3 for Ghana, 233.60 for Japan, and 728.42 for USA. The rate of larceny for 2000 was 0.08 for Ghana, 1401.26 for Japan, and 2475.27 for USA. The rate for motor vehicle theft in 2000 was not reported for Ghana. The rate for all index offenses combined was 461.28 for Ghana, compared with 1709.88 for Japan and 4123.97 for USA (noting that motor vehicle theft was omitted as part of this total for Ghana).

Old 05-26-2012, 06:24 PM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
You just don't see the problem, do you? How can you expect everyone to treat you according to your merits, without demonstrating that you deserve it?

You can't expect everyone to disregard the stereotype until that steretype is eliminated. When I was a kid, I was followed around in the candy store that was on my way to school. Obviously, other kids had stolen candy before me.

Today, if I were to dress in a manner that would make me look suspect, I would probably be followed again. I would have two choices. Either stop dressing like the people who steal or get the other people to stop stealing, if I did not want to be followed around. If it is a case of appearance that I cannot do anything about, then I can only choose to try and get the other people to stop stealing. If you could do that overnight, you have to realize that it will still take some time to get people to drop the stereotyping, but eventually they would, if they don't die off first.

You have to start somewhere, and so far wishing it away hasn't had any success.
If you as an individual are behaving in a civilized manner, if you are a responsible citizen, why shouldn't you be judged by all of that? If you are acting like a criminal, why not judge you by your personal acts of stupidity. Why shouldn't an individual be judged by his or her individual merits as oppose to what others see from the group?

I don't think like you. If you are a kid, after a few years, you won't be a kid anymore. I'm Black. I was born Black and I am going to die Black. I can't change that. If I am going to be judged according to a stereotype, then tell me this: What is the point in behaving civilized if you are going to be treated like a criminal anyway? Really, I want you to think about that deeply.

Sometimes you don't have to dress like a suspect to be treated like a suspect. Sometimes skin color is all it takes. I remember one day I was in a bookstore. Bookstores are among my favorite places. I went to a bookstore dressed like I had just come from church. It was a Sunday. I was in a suit. I was also the only Black person in the bookstore amongst mostly White people. Many of the White people were young kids dressed like skateboarders. A few dressed like rappers. I was followed around the store. What was I doing? What everyone else was doing. I was reading a book. I wanted to be left in peace. I kept getting followed around by the cashier. Here is a case where I didn't look anything like a suspect, but I was still treated like one. What did I do about it? I left the bookstore, vowing never to buy anything from it. I imposed my own boycott. I don't appreciate being treated like a criminal, especially when I'm not a criminal, nor do I look like one. I don't take crap from anyone.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:26 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,381,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Trust me, Edward does not want us to pull from the daily headlines of Ghana News or GhanaWeb
Pull away. Ghana will still come up roses compared to African Americans.

Naked man killed by Police near MacArthur Causeway was ‘eating’ face off victim - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Old 05-26-2012, 06:26 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,276,256 times
Answer: African immigrants don't come from a culture rooted in and shaped by American slavery. Also the immigrant spirit.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:28 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,286,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You would be wrong. Ghana has a lower crime rate than the USA.

Comparative Criminology | Africa - Ghana
That's great, but my last post was about Accra not the whole country.

And answer the question: WHY AREN'T YOU LIVING IN GHANA?

And WHY DON'T YOU USE YOUR GHANIAN NAME?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.