Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:54 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,865,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ok, fine. Tell me just exactly where you plan to re-locate the million or so people in the urban area. How much are you willing to spend to build roads, sewer systems, water lines, the electric grid. Will you pay for their houses too, not only the ones they'll have to live in, but the ones they leave behind? What about the thousands of small businesses? Gonna pay for their existing inventory and re-stock them, or pay to have it moved?

Oh...and what about that port? What are gonna do, move it farther up river? To where? Any land along the river below Baton Rouge is already taken and it you plan to move it north of that, you're gonna have to dredge out a channel and keep it dredged forever AND replace some really massive bridges which won't now allow ocean-going vessels to pass beneath them.

With even a modicum of intelligence, you've got to realize that moving or abandoning New Orleans would bankrupt the whole country. It would be a horrendously costly and intricate undertaking which literally could not be done.

But, what the hey? It sounds good, doesn't it?
Many Orleans people are gone, never to return. Like to Texas, Atlanta, Arizona and so on. I don't know the numbers but it's a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 11:57 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,865,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
They are getting $500 million in Federal aid. Probably as much per person as NOLA did. Not that many people live in Joplin. And they are a long way from "rebuilding". They have done a good job of cleaning and clearing but the place seems to be mostly empty lots now from what I saw on TV. But I am sure the people there are resilent and will rebuild if they stayed there. Some people probably just moved away.
I saw some pics of Joplin on Yahoo; it's coming along well. Remember Joplin and Orleans are 2 different things: 1 got hit a year ago and the other about 7 years ago.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:11 PM

9,134 posts, read 5,783,803 times
America does not abandon it's great cities.
You people who didn't think New Orleans
was worth saving, listen to "Creighton."

Creighton Bernette, Treme. New Orleans Pride.avi - YouTube

Old 05-26-2012, 01:29 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,137,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You don't have any trouble following the track of that storm. There's still a cleared path through the heart of the city. Heck, you can seen see it on Google Earth. When you zoom down to that brown streak right across town, you see the damage done, but if you move the little man to street view, you see those neighborhoods before the storm.
I really wish them well. We should all remember that by the grace of God go we. It happened to them but it could have happened anywhere whether a tornado there or an earthquake here. You just never know.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
What if a tornado like Joplin's swept through huge population base like Dallas?
Probably a death toll in the thousands and massive destruction on a level possibly never seen in the USA before. And the fact is that it is totally possible I guess. They do have some tornados in Texas although most of them seem to hit places like Kansas and Oklahoma where, thank God, few people live.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The problem with New Orleans is that, while it can be rebuilt, it will most certainly be hit again by another hurricane in the future. How far into the future, no one knows, and how severe that damage will be, no one knows.

When someone moves to New Orleans or Joplin or Dallas or anywhere else in this country, there is a likelihood of a natural disaster. Whether it be fires or mudslides or earthquakes in California, to floods along the Mississippi and the coasts, to Tornado's in the Midwest. We know there are risks we are taking, and our property could be destroyed. I live in Oklahoma, and my house could be hit by a tornado tomorrow. This is the perfect month for Tornado's in Oklahoma.

The question is, if my house gets hit by a tornado tomorrow, what should happen? Should I just have to take the loss? Should the government build me a new house?

The truth is, most people have insurance on their property. If you believe the government should give people money and replace lost assets as a result of a natural disaster, then you effectively believe the federal government should basically be an insurance company, with no premiums.

The problem with that logic is that, the cost of premiums is helps to deter people from making bad decisions. People don't build in flood plains for instance, because the cost of insuring a home in a flood plain would be ridiculous, and thats if you can even get insurance at all.

But these poor people in New Orleans, who lost their homes, will get on TV looking for sympathy saying, we either couldn't afford insurance, or there were no insurance companies that would cover our property, and we feel sorry for them.

The question is, if I bought a bunch of cheap land somewhere, which was cheap because it tended to flood constantly. Then I went to buy insurance for my home but it was either too expensive, or wasn't even available. Should I be able to use the federal government to provide me with insurance for my property, which obviously I should never have purchased and developed to begin with?

When we talk about federal aid, it is almost always the case that responsible people are giving money away to irresponsible people. And this subsidization of stupidity creates nothing but more stupidity.

While I feel a certain amount of sympathy for people, whose only assets were their homes, which they lost in the hurricane, or simply can't sell now that the storm is over. The truth is, people lose money and assets every single day. The truth is, the people who put all their money into homes in hurricane-prone areas made a bad decision. Whether or not they were aware of that bad decision or not, doesn't mean it wasn't a bad decision. I can guarantee you that there are tons of people who lost money in the late 90's after the tech bust, or the great recession, or just every single day of the year. Hell, I invested in commodities, and I'm down more money this year than most of the houses in the 9th ward are even worth. Should the government be responsible to rebuild the net worth in my portfolio?

Detroit has basically been abandoned, the city says it is going to tear down a large chunk of the city, and will not be rebuilding it anytime soon. Should Detroit get a bailout, for people whose houses might have been worth 100k at one time, and now they can't hardly give them away? I don't believe so.
New Orleans will get hit again. It is not IF but simply WHEN. Could be this year or in 100 years. It is like us in Cali. You know the "big one" is coming. Just not when.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:46 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,590,889 times
I will never forget seeing able bodied men just sitting around post-Katrina while volunteers from around the US came to pitch in. That would only happen in NOLA.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:47 PM

13,987 posts, read 14,920,859 times
Because the scale is completly different, 2 (AL and MS) states entire coastlines where wiped clean and a good portion of LAs Coastline, it was far more than just the Lower 9th ward.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:50 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,491,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
Probably a death toll in the thousands and massive destruction on a level possibly never seen in the USA before. And the fact is that it is totally possible I guess. They do have some tornados in Texas although most of them seem to hit places like Kansas and Oklahoma where, thank God, few people live.

Texas far and away leads the nation in the average number of tornados per year. That's mostly because of its size. More space to hit, more tornados.

And, F-4 and F-5 twisters are as common there as anywhere else. Major urban areas have been hit in the past, such as Waco, Wichita Falls and Lubbock, with devastating results. It will happen again.

However, tornados in Texas tend to have shorter lives than those in the deep south. For instance, when Alabama got hit by that swarm of F-4's and F-5's last year, some of them stayed on the ground for 50 miles or more. That usually doesn't happen in Texas because the atmospheric conditions are not right.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:52 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,491,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
I will never forget seeing able bodied men just sitting around post-Katrina while volunteers from around the US came to pitch in. That would only happen in NOLA.
Did you see that on TV or were you there? I was there and if that's what they showed on TV, it's inaccurate to say the least. People in NOLA aren't any different than people anywhere else. When disasters hit, they pitch in to help their neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies