Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 08:49 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,246,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Girls (not sure of the age you must be to be a professional but I don't think you have to be an adult) can play tennis, professionally. The professional sports that are more popular as spectator sports -- football, baseball, ice hockey, boxing, basketball don't have a female professional component. Just an observation. Or how about this, any professional sport that doesn't require protective clothing...

Speaking from a spectator perspective, I think tennis is just as big of a snooze as golf. Maybe if you jumped over the net and tackled your opponent when they went for the ball or in golf, if you head butted your opponent and raced them to the next hole, I'd think differently.
Have you ever watched college softball? It is females, of course, and those really good pitchers can fling that big thing pretty hard. I would rather watch them play on TV any day than any professional baseball game.

Also, you appear to have failed to see that women play professional basketball in the summer. They aren't bad to watch since all of them can play more like men than high schoolers.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:32 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,198,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Girls (not sure of the age you must be to be a professional but I don't think you have to be an adult) can play tennis, professionally. The professional sports that are more popular as spectator sports -- football, baseball, ice hockey, boxing, basketball don't have a female professional component. Just an observation. Or how about this, any professional sport that doesn't require protective clothing...

Speaking from a spectator perspective, I think tennis is just as big of a snooze as golf. Maybe if you jumped over the net and tackled your opponent when they went for the ball or in golf, if you head butted your opponent and raced them to the next hole, I'd think differently.
I think you're overlooking a bunch of female sports. Many below are college sports and most go up to pro levels.

Pro Beach Volleyball has a big following and the women wear zero protective clothing.

Women's Soccer Women's Professional Soccer :: Women's Professional Soccer

Women's Basketball, WNBA.

Women's golf. LPGA

Women Boxing Womens Boxing, News about female fighting throughout the day on WBAN

Women's Fast Pitch Softball, great game, played it, men's league, myself for ten years. profastpitch.com: Home

And I'm pretty sure women play hockey. United Women's Hockey League

Have a friend that is a semi pro Roller Derby and women's football player. Women's American football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-26-2012, 09:37 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,991,022 times
Well the WNBA wouldn't be around if it weren't for the NBA funding it. As for the other sports you mentioned they aren't big spectator sports per say that would be up there with the football and basketball. Some colleges have a big fan following for womens basketball. Tennis is one of those sports if you've never played you probably don't even take a second look when it's on the tube. Golf too.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You don't know what the American past time is, do you? It is sure one of the sports you named off and because of professional teams playing so many games each season and drawing huge crowds just remains the pastime. Pick that one from the added on things you threw in with football.

One of the sports you mentioned requires even better conditioning than tennis, if it doesn't then I know one coach who is working the hell out of his players for no reason.
I think I may know what coach your talking about.

As for the other poster saying a 300lb person can sit there and watch football but you have to be in shape to watch tennis?? Do they have special seats that only fit people can sit in? If so some lawyers better be alerted. lol

Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,855,373 times
Tennis can be a dangerous sport if you can kick your American Twist serve with a western grip properly.

A Tennis Ball in the Nuts - Episode 1 - YouTube

Old 05-26-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I think I may know what coach your talking about.

As for the other poster saying a 300lb person can sit there and watch football but you have to be in shape to watch tennis?? Do they have special seats that only fit people can sit in? If so some lawyers better be alerted. lol
You sure do know which coach that is but I don't think many of the college basketball coaches don't have pretty superbly conditioned athletes. Most people fail to realize what kind of conditioning is needed for teams that play hard defense and run all the time.

I imagine that if you looked around there would be about as many 300 lb people sitting at professional matches as the percentage of them in the population.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Tennis can be a dangerous sport if you can kick your American Twist serve with a western grip properly.

A Tennis Ball in the Nuts - Episode 1 - YouTube
I don't want to say that that guy is stupid but he sure isn't very smart either. Surely he could have used a racket of defend himself with.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You sure do know which coach that is but I don't think many of the college basketball coaches don't have pretty superbly conditioned athletes. Most people fail to realize what kind of conditioning is needed for teams that play hard defense and run all the time.

I imagine that if you looked around there would be about as many 300 lb people sitting at professional matches as the percentage of them in the population.
I think basketball you have to be in the best shape. Tennis folks get a breather after every point. Football folks get to go huddle after every ten or so second play. Baskeball your running up and down the court nonstop, moving, cutting, playing defense on your man. Of course they get a timeout once in a while but it's nonstop action when the clock is running. I think soccer players would be second in having to be in shape. They can take a breather if they play defense for example when the ball is on the other side but they are constantly running. I always wanted to play rugby myself but after checking into the rugby team at KU and seeing how big those sob's were my freshman year I wisely stuck with hoops.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:43 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,979,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Or, it could be that tennis is incredibly boring.
To truly appreciate the skill involved, you need to play tennis yourself.

Then you'd realize just how difficult the shots are, and the skill level you need to reach to go up against top level players.

Pros are able to serve the ball at 120+ mph, and place it practically anywhere they want in their opponents court.

It's amazing how they can slam the ball, and put it within inches of the opponents service line, without going off court.

And if you ever played a truly experienced player, you'd realize how much of a mental game it is, as well as physical.

You are not just hitting the ball back anywhere, you are trying to put the ball into precise locations that the opponent cant get to.

You have to use the opponents weaknesses against them, such as if they have a weaker backhand, then you focus on hitting to their backhand.

You have to have incredible stamina and endurance to play tennis, because it is intensely physical, and matches can last several hours.

You also have to keep yourself in top physical condition to play at a pro-level, otherwise you end up with injuries, such as torn muscles, ligaments, etc.

So to call it boring means you really don't fully understand what is involved to play pro-level tennis.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:57 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,990,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I guess you should take your message to obese folks. Maybe start a campaign with Meechele about it??
She would advocate for an individual mandate - requiring everyone to play tennis for at least 2 hrs a week. She would say that it is neccesary for national security reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.