Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times

Advertisements

It's because whites got more welfare.

GRITtv: Melissa Harris-Lacewell: Racialized Choices on Stimulus - YouTube

Old 05-26-2012, 10:46 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
So why won't Republicans try to abolish government welfare and tell needy people to go beg at private charities?

Old 05-29-2012, 04:12 AM

52 posts, read 45,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
This is how whites got rich

Old 05-29-2012, 05:46 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

That's an "interesting" take and I'm sure that posting it has helped you cope with your white guilt (at least for the moment anyway) but I'd actually attribute it to things like this:

Fast Facts

Old 05-29-2012, 06:05 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,278 times
So then....this is another excuse why blacks are worse off than whites?

let's just say that what this woman says is true....and I won't refute it because I didn't live through it, and have no real first hand knowledge of it.....but let's say that whites DID benefit more from the Roosevelt New Deal, and got a hand up far more than blacks did. I think that starting with the civil rights movement of the 60's and all of the legislation...the creation of groups like the NAACP....and affirmative action....blacks have had an ADVANTAGE over whites in many ways.

Not to say that blacks have taken advantage of all that is offered to them....but the government has provided the advantage for them to pull THEMSELVES up and out of the poor circumstances they are in.

I find it absolutely RIDICULOUS that once again, we are pointing to a time 70 years ago to make excuses for blacks being poorer than whites. They have every advantage....but in soooo many cases, unless it is a handout, they don't use those advantages.

I think it is sickening, and it is demeaning to the black race to continue to make excuses for their economic circumstances. The old saying goes...YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER, BUT YOU CAN'T MAKE THEM DRINK.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,781,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBLACKGUY View Post
This is how whites got rich
They won't admit it, it's gonna be taken to the grave with them.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Wouldn't the fact that 7 out of 10 inner city youths end up in jail impact their ability to accumulate wealth ?
Wouldn't the fact that many drop out of high school impact their ability to accumulate wealth ?

AA can only help you so much but one has to stay on the good side of the law and be educated to get ahead.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,544,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
So then....this is another excuse why blacks are worse off than whites?

let's just say that what this woman says is true....and I won't refute it because I didn't live through it, and have no real first hand knowledge of it.....but let's say that whites DID benefit more from the Roosevelt New Deal, and got a hand up far more than blacks did. I think that starting with the civil rights movement of the 60's and all of the legislation...the creation of groups like the NAACP....and affirmative action....blacks have had an ADVANTAGE over whites in many ways.
Well, there's no real question the the New Deal era welfare acts were designed specifically to exclude black families - in fact, southern lawmakers specifically demanded this in order to give their support. But the benefits to black families as of the 1960s and beyond were very few - basically, college admissions, the end. Meanwhile, white families were still favored in terms of home or business loans, hiring, K-12 education, health care, law enforcement, and other areas - disparities that,bin most cases, continue to this day.

Quote:
Not to say that blacks have taken advantage of all that is offered to them....but the government has provided the advantage for them to pull THEMSELVES up and out of the poor circumstances they are in.
It's really more that (some) black people have done their best to drag our governments not treating people equally, as much as our governments kicked and screamed at the notion.

Quote:
I find it absolutely RIDICULOUS that once again, we are pointing to a time 70 years ago to make excuses for blacks being poorer than whites. They have every advantage....but in soooo many cases, unless it is a handout, they don't use those advantages.
70? Do people like you really think that the 1970s and 1980s were 70 years ago? Never mind the continued discrimination, which pretty much every study on the subject has clearly shown. Look, it's simple. The wealth gap, and the unemployment gap, are basically unchanged since the early 1960s. Studies show that economically, white people enjoy broad advantages. There's been little progress made on this front in decades, although white Americans will no longer freak out if a black family moves into their neighborhood.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
They won't admit it, it's gonna be taken to the grave with them.

A convenient excuse for blacks to continue to stand there with their hands out instead of taking advantage of that which is offered to them.

I would be ashamed if I were black.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Well, there's no real question the the New Deal era welfare acts were designed specifically to exclude black families - in fact, southern lawmakers specifically demanded this in order to give their support. But the benefits to black families as of the 1960s and beyond were very few - basically, college admissions, the end. Meanwhile, white families were still favored in terms of home or business loans, hiring, K-12 education, health care, law enforcement, and other areas - disparities that,bin most cases, continue to this day.

It's really more that (some) black people have done their best to drag our governments not treating people equally, as much as our governments kicked and screamed at the notion.

70? Do people like you really think that the 1970s and 1980s were 70 years ago? Never mind the continued discrimination, which pretty much every study on the subject has clearly shown. Look, it's simple. The wealth gap, and the unemployment gap, are basically unchanged since the early 1960s. Studies show that economically, white people enjoy broad advantages. There's been little progress made on this front in decades, although white Americans will no longer freak out if a black family moves into their neighborhood.

Just a lot more excuses. How many do blacks need? jackson and sharpton think the only answer is 'reparations'....but maybe a few more government programs designed to benefit BLACKS ONLY is what could cure all of this.

What a sad and pitiful tale of woe. Instead of taking advantage of what IS available....the excuses continue to flow as to why it JUST ISN'T ENOUGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies