Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 10:16 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
What is it about the word "recently" you don't understand?

If you knew the facts, yes, they probably would speak for themselves. But you don't. Do you just respond to posts in a vacuum?
Who cares? The past is the past. This IS 2012; NOT 1952. I live in today, maybe you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 10:22 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Nothing wrong with those values. It's called personal responsibility. No it ain't just a "white" thing either.
Geeezzz.....how many times do I have to say that the White Male Value System is NOT a value system for only "white guys".....it wouldn't be the dominate value system if some women and other minorities didn't adhere to it.

"Personal Responsibility" became the buzz words after years of right wing think tank work, Ayn Rand idolization, and efforts by those who want people to vote against their own best interests.

Social responsibility should not be sacrificed in the name of greed or delusions that people in a society as big as ours can "take care of themselves alone, no matter what, always." Do you go out and build the roads you must have to drive to work, buy groceries, etc.? Just one example.

Seems this topic may be something you've never thought about.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Who cares? The past is the past. This IS 2012; NOT 1952. I live in today, maybe you don't.
Isn't there some "old saying" that goes like, those you won't learn history are doomed to repeat it?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:24 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,731 times
Quote:
Maybe you should read more of my posts. I do accept some responsibility for my ancestors actions. And part of that responsibility includes learning as much about the past as possible so as to not repeat it.

Yes, black Americans are less guilty of enslaving blacks here in the U.S. than whites are......and less guilty of scapegoating them and lynching them, etc., etc.
But if they were in white people's shoes, and had the guns, germs, and steel in Africa to colonize and dominate Europe ... do you think they would have treated white people any more humanely? Or would they have acted like humans and exploited strangers for the benefit of their own families?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Just google "white male value system" and there will be lots of information.

Masters of the Mind: Exploring the Story of Mental Illness from ... - Google Books Result

books.google.com/books?isbn=0471469858.
That sounds a lot like 'Jewish politics' or 'Jewish science'

Old 05-26-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It's all about the narrative...

"It's not my fault that I failed because white males made me fail."

When that simple statement loses its tenuous plausibility, the alternative becomes blacks fail because they don't try as hard or engage in self-defeating behavior.
I think it's a bit of both. I think it's the result of problems that date back to slavery and also memes that date back to when they were still a part of Africa. It has nothing to do with their race or background but it has everything to do with their culture, part of which is still wounded by the slavery system but imo some of it goes back to the fact that Africa is a harsh environment.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Hey I commented before. Maybe you didn't realize I was black. I totally believe you are demonized. There's a reason all my white male teachers have been republican. I didn't know there was such as thing as affirmative action until they revealed to me that they didn't get the financial help they needed in college unless they looked like me or was hispanic or something. I felt really bad for them. Minorities DO blame white people - especially white men - for all their problems. And they have really bad stereotypes and jokes about whites they use all the time. Trust me, I've been around black people my whole life. Racism against whites is something that has been firmly entrenched into the black community. It's really sickening when I saw the light. You need to really look outside the liberal mirror and see if their values and views are something that you truly represent.
I really appreciate that. You know what's funny though - it's not people of color I hear saying whites 'owe them' for history ... it's other white people who feel guilty! I wonder if they are hiding their own racist feelings in an air of self-righteousness?

I am cool with all people - I just hate inequality, even the kind of inequality that is meant to balance out past inequality. I definitely am not afraid of losing any supposed 'privilege' I might have ... I actually kind of dislike being considered 'privileged' and personally I don't really gain anything from it. Maybe if I was better looking and wealthier, I might benefit a bit more?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
But if they were in white people's shoes, and had the guns, germs, and steel in Africa to colonize and dominate Europe ... do you think they would have treated white people any more humanely? Or would they have acted like humans and exploited strangers for the benefit of their own families?
What if doesn't count. Are you saying it's human nature to be greedy and brutal? I would suggest MAYBE that other cultures and women, if they are settled the U.S. alone, may have constructed a government and built a country on different values.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:36 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Only if they are rich and conservative. Liberal white guys get a free pass. Especially if they are gay. In the bay area any white guy who wears dark eyeglass frames and carries a Starbucks mug is assumed liberal. If he's wearing those brown European shoes he gets bonus points.

Gold frames and black wingtip shoes and he's fair to hate on. Add a Hart Shaffner Marx suit and it's legal to spit on him. Except on April 15.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
I really appreciate that. You know what's funny though - it's not people of color I hear saying whites 'owe them' for history ... it's other white people who feel guilty! I wonder if they are hiding their own racist feelings in an air of self-righteousness?

I am cool with all people - I just hate inequality, even the kind of inequality that is meant to balance out past inequality. I definitely am not afraid of losing any supposed 'privilege' I might have ... I actually kind of dislike being considered 'privileged' and personally I don't really gain anything from it. Maybe if I was better looking and wealthier, I might benefit a bit more?
There are countless ways in which you benefit in this society from being white male. Just because you aren't knowledgeable enough to recognize them, doesn't mean they don't exist. Btw, there is no way for you to "lose any supposed privilege" as long as you live in a society which has a white male value system. Why don't you try going to live in a society which is not predominantly white....say in the Middle East, Asia, Africa, South America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies