Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 PM

72 posts, read 170,568 times

Advertisements

We don't need to use the word "atheist." It implies something that isn't there.

If some folks swore that refrigerators could talk and then a new hoard of people said "refrigerators can't talk, there is no evidence for that. Are you insane?" We wouldn't refer to the latter group as having "atheistic" views towards talking refrigerators. We would just call them adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nonsense.

Look, i pulled the wool from over my eyes years ago. I'm not trying to trash your faith, but i'm not going for the okey doke anymore. That stuff was used to pacify black folks with a bunch of pie in the sky stuff. It was designed so that the blacks would work their asses off in the fields with little to no hope of liberation, with the idea being that they'd get their liberation in heaven. Meanwhile, the white folks get their heaven right here on Earth....which is the only place that it exists anyway. Smart strategy.

But i'm not a slave, i'm not a fool, and i'm not looking to a white Jesus for my salvation. I'll take my heaven right now, thank you very much. I feel no different than you'd feel if i went into your place of worship and placed an image of a black God on your walls and expected you to worship him. You'd laugh my ass out of the building.

Goose/Gander. Sorry.
The ultimate sign of White Supremacy is the inability to portray God or Jesus as anything another other than white.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:13 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Nonsense.

Look, i pulled the wool from over my eyes years ago. I'm not trying to trash your faith, but i'm not going for the okey doke anymore. That stuff was used to pacify black folks with a bunch of pie in the sky stuff. It was designed so that the blacks would work their asses off in the fields with little to no hope of liberation, with the idea being that they'd get their liberation in heaven. Meanwhile, the white folks get their heaven right here on Earth....which is the only place that it exists anyway. Smart strategy.

But i'm not a slave, i'm not a fool, and i'm not looking to a white Jesus for my salvation. I'll take my heaven right now, thank you very much. I feel no different than you'd feel if i went into your place of worship and placed an image of a black God on your walls and expected you to worship him. You'd laugh my ass out of the building.

Goose/Gander. Sorry.
I look at it this way. Christianity did spread to Africa before colonialism did. If you look at churches in Ethiopia, Jesus isn't portrayed as White. The idea of portraying Jesus as White came from Europe and was brought to America. I don't look at it as a "Christian" problem, but rather a culture issue.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:23 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Nonsense.

Goose/Gander. Sorry.
I am not actually real religious. An afterlife sounds nice. I ain't totally given up on it but it does seem improbable. I just examine the difference between the Christian and non-Christian world and find, by and large, I am glad I am in the Christian world.

The fact is the Enlightenment came out of the Protestant Reformation. The Enlightenment eventually led to the end of slavery. You also cannot study the history of the abolitionist movement, and for that matter the civil rights movement, without giving a great deal of credit to Christians.

On the negative side for Christianity it is hard to argue that in the millenium before the Reformation Christianity did more good than harm.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The ultimate sign of White Supremacy is the inability to portray God or Jesus as anything another other than white.
Yep. My dad told me the same thing early on. He saw through the ruse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I look at it this way. Christianity did spread to Africa before colonialism did. If you look at churches in Ethiopia, Jesus isn't portrayed as White. The idea of portraying Jesus as White came from Europe and was brought to America. I don't look at it as a "Christian" problem, but rather a culture issue.
Sure. All of that is somewhat true, but i can only go on the American experience, and Christianity in this country is a white man's faith. Maybe Christianity is a better and more pure faith elsewhere, but here, it's historically bigoted and small minded, and that's what i'm going on...what i see in my own country.

White folks gave us this faith, and they have a responsibility to live up to it first before passing it on to us to believe in. Well i'm sorry, but i'm not impressed.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:17 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
God help them.

Gee, NONE of the blacks I know are atheists. What gives?
A god would need to exist to help but anyway....

If you know enough blacks then its likely you know a black atheist. However, with the word atheist being taboo in the black community, they likely won't admit it. I still get the "so, do you worship the devil" question. Why would I trade in a belief of an imaginary good god for an imaginary bad one. Its so ridiculous. This is explicitly why I work with secular groups that focus on promoting scientific education. When people don't understand how the natural world works and don't know how to critically examine information, they become easy prey for not only religious scammers but con men of every variety.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Yep. My dad told me the same thing early on. He saw through the ruse.

Sure. All of that is somewhat true, but i can only go on the American experience, and Christianity in this country is a white man's faith. Maybe Christianity is a better and more pure faith elsewhere, but here, it's historically bigoted and small minded, and that's what i'm going on...what i see in my own country.

White folks gave us this faith, and they have a responsibility to live up to it first before passing it on to us to believe in. Well i'm sorry, but i'm not impressed.
You're speaking as if there were no good Christians. Christians are just human. Humans are both good and bad. Muslims are both good and bad. Some might say only the good ones are true Christians. I'm not one to judge.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Oh it's a Christian problem because nobody stands up and questions or refutes it.

The question begs to be asked: How many White people would get on their knees and pray to Black Jesus?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
wait a minute.. i thought jesus was a hebrew jew, i doubt he would be black or white...did i miss something here

Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I am not actually real religious. An afterlife sounds nice. I ain't totally given up on it but it does seem improbable. I just examine the difference between the Christian and non-Christian world and find, by and large, I am glad I am in the Christian world.

The fact is the Enlightenment came out of the Protestant Reformation. The Enlightenment eventually led to the end of slavery. You also cannot study the history of the abolitionist movement, and for that matter the civil rights movement, without giving a great deal of credit to Christians.

On the negative side for Christianity it is hard to argue that in the millenium before the Reformation Christianity did more good than harm.
You cannot also study the history of how the concept of race as social construct was created without seeing how Christianity played a role in creating the concepts of White supremacy and Black inferiority and how that was used to justify the exploitation of non-White people by Europeans across the planet.

Once again it's also why the further to the right of the political spectrum you go it gets more pro-Christian and more racist. At the heart of the American Conservative movement is the belief that America is a White Christian country and that everybody else should not have the same rights, opportunity and privileges as they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies