Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 10:41 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,298,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Bowl View Post
How can anyone not be atheist?

It's the ultimate freedom. As long as I don't get caught, there is nothing to hold me accountable for my actions.

I can essentially do whatever I want. If I want to have sex with other women aside from my signficant other, there is no doctrine out there that says I shouldn't engage in that sort of activity even if inside, I feel it's moraly corrupt.

In fact, society even seems to be geared in that direction, and perhaps one day we can all engage in promsicuity without consquences and we will only need to be loyal to our self indulgent lifestyles, as opposed to some souless entity's emotions.

We can teach our children at a young age that there is no one to hold them accountable for their actions outside of human intervention, yet there are no rules that usurp man's law, which will allow them freedom to change laws as they see fit.

We can get rid of the problem of poverty by simply eliminating the poor. Thou shall not kill? Why not? What exactly are the poor providing for us? They are mere souless entities disrupting our one and only life. They are taking resources that should be reserved for productive members of society.

But why stop there? The world is already overpopulated and with rising appetites, it is overindulged. If one makes it to the top of the political spectrum and others share their atheist ideology, why should they let others live to use resources and create waste, thus making life less tollerable for those at the top?

Perhaps, those at the top, as long as they have the most powerful weapon systems, should put people that cannot directly provide them with any particular service into ovens, like Hitler did.

Why not? Who is there to hold them accountable for their actions? Who held Hitler accountable for his actions? A superior military force? Well, there are weapon systems that may exist that essentially get rid of the notion of mutal assured destruction because they are powerful enough and can be deployed quickly enough to the point to where any opposition has no chance at all to effectively respond.

So who will stop the atheists that have recreated the law to fit the circumstance of society?

Why shouldn't they engage in that sort of activity when they only live once and might as well make the best of their short time in life and rid the world of all these souless entities that offer no direct benefit to the ruling parties and are essentially expendable?

Fools.

I think James said it best.

James 13:16

"Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit;' whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away."

"Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.' But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil."

So, like James said, you don't even know if you will survive the end of the day, yet you believe you have all the answers to life?
You've got atheism confuse with a lack of morality.

Being a Christan didn't stop Senator David Vitter, a married man, from see a prostitute.

You don't need religion to tell you what's right and wrong. If you do then maybe your are just lacking in the intelligence, self analysis and critical thinking skills necessary to decide those things for yourself.

The lack of religion does not mean a lack of moral philosophy or moral code.

But you did get one thing right a lack of religion does mean a higher degree of freedom in terms of not being intellectually limited by 2,000 year old dogma that is principally based on the on what a bunch of high level priest and bishops decided to put in or leave out of the Bible in the First Council of Nicea in 325 A.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 10:43 AM

100 posts, read 78,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Misinformation and facts about secularism and religion | Psychology Today

U.S. Teen Birthrates Are Down, But Still High in These States - Politics - The Atlantic Cities

"What we have to fight for is the necessary security for the existence and increase of our race and people, the subsistence of its children and the maintenance of our racial stock unmixed, the freedom and independence of the Fatherland; so that our people may be enabled to fulfill the mission assigned to it by the Creator."

- Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, Vol. 1 Chapter 8

You were saying?
I suppose I didn't make it clear enough. I subscribe to the one true God, Jesus Christ, and the truth is written in the Gospel's of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

I can assure you that if Hitler adhered to the words of Christ, the transgressions that occured would not have happened.

Perhaps, you should familiarize yourself with the words of Christ before assuming that Hitler followed them, when in reality, his actions were in direct opposition to the words of Christ.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You've got atheism confuse with a lack of morality.

Being a Christan didn't stop Senator David Vitter, a married man, from see a prostitute.

You don't need religion to tell you what's right and wrong. If you do then maybe your are just lacking in the intelligence, self analysis and critical thinking skills necessary to decide those things for yourself.

The lack of religion does not mean a lack of moral philosophy or moral code.

But you did get one thing right a lack of religion does mean a higher degree of freedom in terms of not being intellectually limited by 2,000 year old dogma that is principally based on the on what a bunch of high level priest and bishops decided to put in or leave out of the Bible in the First Council of Nicea in 325 A.D.
In what way is the Gospel offensive to you? Do you propose a better way for people to conduct their lives?

It's quite obvious to me that the chosen mechanism of morality that society presumes to create is not working.

So, what is your solution, and why do you feel that what you say is better than what is written in the Gospel?

And I can assure you that if I grew up with the notion that there was no God, and no one to hold me accountable for my actions, that I would not lead a cowardly life where I am subservient to those who wield power.

I would take advantage of my circumstances and make the most out of my life. And if I had to step on you to get there, you're nothing but a souless entity, and if there was an emotional attachment between us, time will heal an injury I might have acquired through any detriment I may have caused you.

I would not be too cowardly to not take advantage of my convictions.

I often see arguments from atheists that say Relgion was set in place to control the masses. Unless I'm wrong in my interpretation, it appears you implied that with your statement that those who follow the Gospel are intellectually limited.

If you are superior, perhaps you can define a way where the world can live harmoniously that trumps the words of Jesus Christ. There must be some reason for your presumed arrogance.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:55 AM

I mean, I question whether or not some of you are REAL atheists anyway.

Let's put life in perspective. If you're an atheist, you only have one life, so you might as well make the most of it.

Well in society, the way you make the most of life is with money.

Say for example, you had an opportunity to take the life of a fellow souless entity, who desired to die, no authoratative figure would hold you responsible, no one would know of what you did, and you were paid a million dollars.

You can say, "I wouldn't do it because it's immoral, etc," but I eliminated that by saying the souless entity in question wants to die. Additionaly, I'll say he is not responsible for anyone, and has no friends nor relatives.

Logically, you kill him and take the money. You don't have to answer to anybody. Am I right?

And if anybody says they don't take the money and claims to be a REAL atheist, in my mind, you're a coward who fails to believe in their own convictions and act upon them accordingly in a situation that benefits you considering the circumstances.

How can anyone expect me to respect someone that doesn't take advantage of their circumstances, yet preaches to society as if they know better than what is written in the Gospel, and even though they could die today and have no idea, they believe they have the answer to the biggest question in life?

Old 06-03-2012, 10:58 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,625 times
Quote:
I suppose I didn't make it clear enough. I subscribe to the one true God, Jesus Christ, and the truth is written in the Gospel's of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

I can assure you that if Hitler adhered to the words of Christ, the transgressions that occured would not have happened.

Perhaps, you should familiarize yourself with the words of Christ before assuming that Hitler followed them, when in reality, his actions were in direct opposition to the words of Christ.
Yeah, I've heard the "true Christian" babble before. It's nothing but a distraction from the important issue: He DID believe in some form of a god, which disqualifies him from being an atheist.

Also, citing Stalin, Mao, etc, doesn't work because of the specific system they established. They needed a cult of personality. A heroic image. They wanted to be heralded as gods on earth. The obstacle to this was religion. THAT is why religion was often suppressed under those leaders. If people are looking to invisible men for guidance (which isn't much better than following dictators as far as I'm concerned), they will not acknowledge the greatness of said ruler. It's also important to note that Stalin did actually work with the Russian Orthodox Church sometimes if he felt it benefited his cause.

Dictatorship can not be established without something/someone to worship/praise. That inherent trait makes it far more similar to religious tyranny than secular society. Truly secular societies (ie. many European nations) often have the lowest crime rates and highest qualities of living on Earth. Accept it.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard the "true Christian" babble before. It's nothing but a distraction from the important issue: He DID believe in some form of a god, which disqualifies him from being an atheist.

Also, citing Stalin, Mao, etc, doesn't work because of the specific system they established. They needed a cult of personality. A heroic image. They wanted to be heralded as gods on earth. The obstacle to this was religion. THAT is why religion was often suppressed under those leaders. If people are looking to invisible men for guidance (which isn't much better than following dictators as far as I'm concerned), they will not acknowledge the greatness of said ruler. It's also important to note that Stalin did actually work with the Russian Orthodox Church sometimes if he felt it benefited his cause.

Dictatorship can not be established without something/someone to worship/praise. That inherent trait makes it far more similar to religious tyranny than secular society. Truly secular societies (ie. many European nations) often have the lowest crime rates and highest qualities of living on Earth. Accept it.
This isn't about whether or not Hitler believed in God. In fact, I only used Hitler as an example.

The fact is, any lunatic that doesn't believe in Jesus Christ; therefore, doesn't believe they will be accountable for their actions on earth, that is in a powerful position like Hitler is capable of terrible things.

It would only make more sense if it was done by an atheist. They would have a logical imperative to kill those around them.

The world is becoming overcrowded. Solution: decrease the number of residents.

Why? Because you have no one to answer to and they are souless entities, that are corrupting your ability to live life to the fullest.

How can you effectively maximise your self indulgent, Godless, lifestyle with too many damn people around?

Old 06-03-2012, 11:06 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,057 times
The more atheists, the better.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:08 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,625 times
Quote:
And I can assure you that if I grew up with the notion that there was no God, and no one to hold me accountable for my actions, that I would not lead a cowardly life where I am subservient to those who wield power.

I would take advantage of my circumstances and make the most out of my life. And if I had to step on you to get there, you're nothing but a souless entity, and if there was an emotional attachment between us, time will heal an injury I might have acquired through any detriment I may have caused you.

I would not be too cowardly to not take advantage of my convictions.
And now we're getting to the root of your "morality". What you've essentially said is that the only thing stopping you from savagery is religious belief. Fear of eternal punishment and a need for eternal reward. That is NOT morality.

If free from religious belief, you completely disregard human rights, then I have no problem declaring myself morally superior to you.

If a child doesn't steal only because they fear jail time or being punished if his/her parents find out, he/she is not acting out of a regard for property rights or the concept of a market economy.

Last edited by Haaziq; 06-03-2012 at 11:25 AM..

Old 06-03-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The more atheists, the better.
That's what you say now, until those at the top start viewing you as more of a statistic than a human being.

You ain't special. What do you do that someone at the top needs?

Are you the next Tesla? To them, you ain't nothin.

So why they need to keep you around when you contribute to overpopulation, overconsumption, etc?

Don't you think of this?

How does this elude people so easily when history has shown how brutal human beings can be to one another.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
And now we're getting to the root of your "morality". What you've essentially said is that the only thing stopping you from savagery is religious belief. Fear of eternal punishment and a need for eternal reward. That is NOT morality.

If free from religious belief, you completely disregard human rights, then I have no problem declaring myself morally superior to you.

If a child doesn't steal only because they fear being jail time or being punished if his/her parents find out, he/she is not acting out of a regard for property rights or the concept of a market economy.
Your limited by contemporary society. Society wasn't always like this. Rules and laws at some point were different.

If you created a society ruled by atheists, they would change the law to fit the circumstances allowed by their belief structure.

And personally, that's not what stops me, but I'm giving you an example of how someone could take advantage of not being accountable for their actions.

That's what you call an opportunist. You may be afraid, but I can assure you that there are others who are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies