Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:19 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
We can't afford the nanny state.
Very true, the nanny state for the richest of the rich, big oil, and the large corporations are destroying the nation. The GOP free-for-all to their cronies must be stopped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The GDP did grow after Bushs tax cuts
It did, but government tax receipts did not. So when the GOP is saying that it is not planning on paying for the renewal of the tax cuts because they will pay for themselves, it is a lie that extremely recent history shows us is a lie.

If they are going to keep the Bush tax cuts, they need to figure out a way to pay for them or they have no right to claim they are the fiscally responsible party. Cutting taxes while not cutting spending is the height of fiscal irresponsibility.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:34 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
Now they are coming back for round 2 of this fight. Obama got stomped in round 1. The Republicans extended ALL the Bush tax cuts and Obama got nada, nothing, zero, zilch in return. Now the Democrats and Obama are already backing away from the Republicans again. Obama once threatend a VETO if the tax cuts were extended for anybody over $250,000 a year. Now he backed off to a million a year. The Republicans have again made it clear they will accept nothing less than a full retreat. Obama should find some spine and use his veto stamp and let all the tax cuts die if the Republicans do that. I don't think he will because Obama is spineless and gutless but he should.
If only President Obama, immediately after his inauguration, had formed an independent, bipartisan commission to carefully study the tax situation, the entitlement challenge, and the need to control government spending. A commission composed of credible, responsible statesmen--both Democrats and Republicans. Then, when the commission reported its results, he could have promoted it as the basis of a lasting, comprehensive set of solutions to our major challenges.

Oh, wait a minute. He did create that commission....and ran like hell from its balanced, bipartisan proposals. Rest In Peace, Simpson-Bowles.

This is the single most craven omission of his miserable presidency, and it would have eliminated the current, disastrous state of affairs: Taxmageddon and the spending sequester that both dawn on us Jan 1, 2013.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
It did, but government tax receipts did not. So when the GOP is saying that it is not planning on paying for the renewal of the tax cuts because they will pay for themselves, it is a lie that extremely recent history shows us is a lie.

If they are going to keep the Bush tax cuts, they need to figure out a way to pay for them or they have no right to claim they are the fiscally responsible party. Cutting taxes while not cutting spending is the height of fiscal irresponsibility.
Yes they did

And I've never once supported the spending under Bush, just like I oppose it under Obama.. I'm not a hypocrite like so many Democrats are that visit these boards..

Old 05-28-2012, 12:24 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
The Bush haters can't read graphs that has been proven. And like you said before the ones squealing about having to cut social security because of these tax cuts are complete idiots.

Like Mircea said in a previous post the cuts do need to expire, spending needs to be cut and the debt needs to get under control. Time for the US to buckle down. Sadly those pandering for votes are the ones who would have to make these calls and the only way they see to hold their elected positions is to buy votes which is basically what it's come down to. Rough times are definetly ahead for this country.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:42 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Yes they did

And I've never once supported the spending under Bush, just like I oppose it under Obama.. I'm not a hypocrite like so many Democrats are that visit these boards..
That image does not tell the whole story:

If the Bush Tax Cuts had paid for themselves, we should have seen a bigger slant on that line. That didn't happen and they did not pay for themselves, nor will they. I don't think it's hypocritical to demand that the tax cuts be paid for if they are renewed. But they should not be renewed. They did not stimulate the economy. You can be morally opposed to taxes, fine, but if you are anti-debt they are clearly a driving factor in the huge amount of government debt we amassed in the past decade. If you are anti-taxes and want them renewed on principal, fine, but you should be demanding corresponding spending cuts. Which the GOP has announced it will not do.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:11 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
That image does not tell the whole story:
It absolutely does. You said that revenues didnt increase after tax cuts were passed, you were wrong. Revenues before the tax cuts are not the issue but a distraction because we were in a recession.
Quote:
If the Bush Tax Cuts had paid for themselves, we should have seen a bigger slant on that line.
Why, because you believe the economy is stagnate and we live in a vacuum? Utterly ridiculous.
Quote:
That didn't happen and they did not pay for themselves, nor will they.
Then why did revenues GROW, and not shrink?
Quote:
I don't think it's hypocritical to demand that the tax cuts be paid for if they are renewed. But they should not be renewed.
You've already been proven wrong when you said revenues didnt grow so your opinion on their need to be paid for is immaterial.
Quote:
They did not stimulate the economy. You can be morally opposed to taxes, fine, but if you are anti-debt they are clearly a driving factor in the huge amount of government debt we amassed in the past decade. If you are anti-taxes and want them renewed on principal, fine, but you should be demanding corresponding spending cuts. Which the GOP has announced it will not do.
And you've already been proven wrong again, saying that revenues didnt climb, so if you dont know the truth on that, your opinion that they didnt stimulate the economy is worthless. Anti debt has nothing to do with increased revenues, its due to increased spending. I'd advise you to educate yourself on the difference if you are expected to be taken seriously on the topic.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
So do you beleive the tax cuts should go away for everyone?
Ideally I would like to see them phased out over a period of time. But yes, they need to go away. For everybody.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:23 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
Now they are coming back for round 2 of this fight. Obama got stomped in round 1. The Republicans extended ALL the Bush tax cuts and Obama got nada, nothing, zero, zilch in return. Now the Democrats and Obama are already backing away from the Republicans again. Obama once threatend a VETO if the tax cuts were extended for anybody over $250,000 a year. Now he backed off to a million a year. The Republicans have again made it clear they will accept nothing less than a full retreat. Obama should find some spine and use his veto stamp and let all the tax cuts die if the Republicans do that. I don't think he will because Obama is spineless and gutless but he should.
Surely you will come to realize that the "Bush tax cuts" became the Bush-Obama tax cuts in December 2011 when Obama asked the Congress to extend them another year. Maybe in the coming realization of this fact you may even see that it was a purely political move by Obama to keep people from realizing that the cuts weren't just for wealthy people.

When your taxes are raised by that abolition of those tax cuts maybe you will realize what Democrats have been doing isn't really very truthful. Those tax cuts weren't as grand for me as for some people but then I don't make as much as many wealthy people do. I did realize some good from the cuts and so did you unless you aren't above 21 years of age now.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Yeah, tax cuts for the rich.. Why let facts stand in the way when you can just repeat talking points..

What tax cuts did the GOP want to raise on the middle class?
Whatever rates the left leaning blog that Tempest gets talking points from would be the ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies