Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:11 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetails
1. It's a police state
No other country in the world or universe
jails it's own citizens at the rate we do over
stuff that don't matter.
Yes things have sure gone DOWNHILL for sure since the 80s here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 05:58 AM

249 posts, read 193,837 times
We have one of the higher rates of infant mortality in the OECD http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/4/36/46796773.pdf

We incarcerate our citizens the highest rate in the OECD
Howard Steven Friedman: 7 OECD Countries with the Highest Incarceration Rates: US and Israel Top List!

The United States has an income inequality gap comparable to Rwanda, China, Cote d'Ivoire, Uganda, and Serbia. A lower income inequality gap is consistent with more developed nations, higher inequality is consistent with developing nations.

We are the only industrialized nation to not UHC. Much of the population may not be in favor of it the same reason why they were not in favor of desegregation in the 1960s or gay marriage today. Propaganda. Plain and simple. I think that a type of UHC could work (think Australia, Switzerland, Japan, Korea...a public option).

We are not the best country in the world. We need to work on healthcare access, education access, and wage equality. If we delude ourselves and rest on our laurels, we will falter. I believe in fixing and updating things to keep them running better. Just like a computer. Sometimes you need to update the software and hardware to keep it running smoothly. A country is the same way. Sometimes it needs updating in order to keep up. It would be great to make America as good as it can be.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:34 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,523 times
Stricly speaking the OP is right. "United states not necessarily the greatest country".

There is no "necessarily" about it. The country has no automatic right to be the greatest country on earth. Title like that, it is something to work towards. For everyone. Not something that comes for free.

Problem is, for a while it did almost come for free. After WW2, the competition was pretty bombed out for a couple of decades. America could be the best at pretty much anything, without putting much effort in.

It was a special-circumstance period. That wont happen again, these days it takes work.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:26 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The sign of a country is how many people are trying get in at all costs compared to people who are leaving the country to find a better life . On this America is the greatest country
Flawed logic. Most of the people flocking here are from very poor nations, so of course we look much better to them. We also have very lax immigration laws, making us a more likely target.

How many Swiss, Norwegians, Germans, Austrians, Swedish, or Dutch do you see flocking here on a daily basis? Mexicans, Indians, Cubans, etc. sure.

Doesn't make us great.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
No, but I, unlike the OP, do not live in a cave. I know about other countries because I have studied, not all cultures and countries of course. I know that in America we have more freedom than any other country.

There are pretty good countries out there, but name 5 that have the same amount of freedom we do.

I could say more about the more ridiculous parts of your post, but I have chosen not to stoop to your level.
What freedoms would you be referring to? Your level of freedom is also largely dependent on who you are. Gays for example have more freedom in Western Europe than they do here. Rich, white Christians likely have more freedom here than they do in Western Europe.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Depends on how you look at it.

It doesn't have to be the best country in the world. Hell, i've known for years that it isn't. But it's still a good country, it's MY country, and i love it.

Does that mean that i won't go live in another country if i had the chance? Nope. I'd move to Switzerland, Italy, Croatia, Denmark, Czech Republic, Austria, or Southern France in a heartbeat if i could. In the morning.
Me too. I'd love to live in Switzerland, France, Italy, England, Germany or Austria.

Doesn't mean I don't like the US, but I like other cultures and countries a lot too. I don't like much of the US outside the North East or West Coast anyway based on culture, climate, etc.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:15 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,586,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Depends on how you look at it.

It doesn't have to be the best country in the world. Hell, i've known for years that it isn't. But it's still a good country, it's MY country, and i love it.

Does that mean that i won't go live in another country if i had the chance? Nope. I'd move to Switzerland, Italy, Croatia, Denmark, Czech Republic, Austria, or Southern France in a heartbeat if i could. In the morning.
I love Australia, how about Australia? I used to work in Switzerland, too. Low Taxes, loving it. Great Health Care,too. No one going broke over hospital bills.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Lotsa people illegally entering Iran because it's a great country
Even North Koreans flee to China for a better life.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Bad English = troll?
There have been several troll posters showing up in threads around CD that are suspiciously close to being paid posters.

There is a lot of paid internet propaganda out there by countries like China and it tends to really flare up after embarassing moments for the Chinese or during tensions with the US. So with the dissident and their big name politician getting nailed along with his wife for crimes....they are definitely in full PR mode.

Threads tend to be of the "look how America has all these problems" variety, generally to then show how all countries have issues when ours are more widely covered.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
I love Australia, how about Australia? I used to work in Switzerland, too. Low Taxes, loving it. Great Health Care,too. No one going broke over hospital bills.
There are winners and losers in various countries systems. My relative whom is quite successful and has traveled and worked around the world commented that had he been born in Germany and other countries he would have been pidgeonholed to drive garbage trucks at an early age due to how he tested.

Tony Blair commented that Collin Powell never would have reached such heights in Britain due to their rigid social structure and old-boys networks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies