Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 11:44 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
"Caribbean Pygmy, Eskimo Gender or theater studies"

Its worse than that. I have a business degree and have not been able to find work since graduation last December. lol.
That's on you, then.
I recently hired a person with an undergrad business degree.

Easier to blame others though, doncha think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
No way theatre is more challenging than business.
Don't know much about creativity it seems.
Business is easy for me.

My degree is in English Education.
I work as a business manager. Business is much easier, for me.
It's cut and dry, except for the criminals who use creative measures to bilk people (see Bankers).

Old 05-28-2012, 12:55 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,319,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That's on you, then.
I recently hired a person with an undergrad business degree.

Easier to blame others though, doncha think?
Not easier to blame others, no. I don't blame anyone. But after at least five hundred applications it is much much much much easier to ***** about it.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Not easier to blame others, no. I don't blame anyone. But after at least five hundred applications it is much much much much easier to ***** about it.
Try rewriting your resume.
All grads aren't screwed.

Do you think that it was easy for previous graduates to get jobs?
Everyone competes.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:22 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,675,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Try finding a job in this job market and see how far you will go WITHOUT A COLLEGE DEGREE.
I'd be just where I was before. This time I actually can't get my job back at McDonald's

Old 05-28-2012, 01:24 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,319,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Try rewriting your resume.
All grads aren't screwed.

Do you think that it was easy for previous graduates to get jobs?
Everyone competes.
I had my resume critiqued and rewritten by both my university and by people who work in HR. They only thing that I can think of that looks bad is my spotty employment history. I haven't had a job in a little over a year, and my employment before that was very spotty - Three months here, five months there, then a break for a few months, and then another five months elsewhere. I was mostly hopping between different bars for work. That goes back about 3 years or so.

"Do you think that it was easy for previous graduates to get jobs?"

Well....I am the first man in my family to ever graduate college, so I am not sure how difficult it used to be. I meet people in their 30s who graduated 10 years ago and didn't have nearly as difficult of a time. The two women in my family who graduated.....They found jobs extremely easily. My mother had a teaching job lined up before she even had the piece of paper.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:35 AM

As a hiring official, I would not hire you with a sketchy employment history.
If I'm going to train you, I want to keep you and there are lots of resumes that show a good working history.
I'm usually looking for reasons to eliminate and sadly, that would do it for me.

I had a hard time getting a teaching job in the 70s.
So that's a specific case for your mother, not everyone. Did they know someone?

There are also a lot more people on this earth looking for the same job you are, the population has exploded.

The best advice I can give is to get a job and keep it for a year.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
It's more than party affiliation but you're getting warm. Public education isn't just about learning, it is a function of social welfare. This time, it's a twist of irony. Education was touted, only it didn't work and made some of these people poorer than before, and not any smarter.
Yes because even if they got their college free, if they can't find jobs, it isn't helping them. In fact it gives them the attitude that because of that free degree, they are too good to do many jobs.

So we have many Americans out of work and have to bring in foreigners to take many of the jobs. Plus the foreigners will happily accept a much lower pay.

Americans aren't unemployed because the economy is bad -- the economy is bad because Americans are unemployed.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:28 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,474,705 times
Today's graduates should not have voted for Obama in 2008.

They only shot themselves in the foot.

Oh well, live and learn. If I were young, I wouldn't vote for him again if was in need of a job.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:12 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,285,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I'd be just where I was before. This time I actually can't get my job back at McDonald's
What was you major?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies