Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 08:53 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,962,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
If a person does not "look" Black yet decides to identify as Black because they feel culturally connected, then why would that be of any great concern to you? If that person wishes to identify themselves as biracial or multiracial, that is fine as well. I don't see the issue here. Its not rocket science.
But what if someone identifies as white? Than all of a sudden it's "uncle Tom this" and "Uncle Ruckus that"

Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,865,638 times
Quote:
Victoria Rowell and her daughter

Eartha Kitt with her daughter and grandaughter
Ok; I know that Eartha Kitt is more or less "Black". V Rowell looks "white" to me cause I've seen darker skin people who ARE white.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:02 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,489,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
But what if someone identifies as white? Than all of a sudden it's "uncle Tom this" and "Uncle Ruckus that"
If you "look" White and have little (or no) ties to your African ancestry, then have at it.

Off the top of my head there are a few examples of White people with African ancestry that I don't consider "Black": Carly Simon and Carol Channing

Old 05-31-2012, 09:30 PM

93 posts, read 235,575 times
Quote:
Rebecca Hall is 1/8th black...

1/8 Black equals= Octoroon

Btw, who is her mother?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
First, the reason a handful of mulattoes hate on blacks is because they were abandoned by their black fathers and they are projecting. Second, from what I've seen, being mixed in a black family isn't easy...my own aunt called me a "little half breed brat" and my father treated my all black half sister better than me, because she was the "perfect specimen of the African Master Race" while I was just the freak with nappy hair.

It is less usual for mixed people to hate blacks, because doing so means they hate on half of their family. Blacks can hate mulattoes without a second thought, because most of them have no white in their families.

This speaks volumes about interracial relationships. Why so many folks think that they help solve the race problem I don't know. In fact they things a lot worse in the long run. And who are these White women who are willing to risk life and limb to be in these kind couplings?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Few blacks look mixed, and mixed people look different from light skinned blacks...does Vin Diesel look black?

Most "brothas" who don't know me assume I'm Latino or Indian.

Listen, I don't know where live but in Philadelphia PA when I came up, African Americans in came in every complexion and hair texture.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Funny Ice-T is a light skin Black man that very few Black people that I know have a problem identifying him as a "Brotha".

It's not just physical appearance, a lot of it has to do how you grew up and who you CHOOSE to identify with.

You post indicates you have hell of lot to learn about Black people.
Bingo! Ice T is perfect example. What vpunk forgot to mention is that the same study he quotes says that about 10% of
"Black Americans" are under 50% African genetically. Ice-T had two "Black" parents and is obviously racially mixed according to the ODR (One Drop Rule) However ,I bet if you called Ice -T a Mulatto or even biracial you would problably get cursed out!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,489,704 times
Quote:
First, the reason a handful of mulattoes hate on blacks is because they were abandoned by their black fathers and they are projecting. Second, from what I've seen, being mixed in a black family isn't easy...my own aunt called me a "little half breed brat" and my father treated my all black half sister better than me, because she was the "perfect specimen of the African Master Race" while I was just the freak with nappy hair.

It is less usual for mixed people to hate blacks, because doing so means they hate on half of their family. Blacks can hate mulattoes without a second thought, because most of them have no white in their families.
This post is very telling...

I think we now have been enlightened to the root of your problem....your Black father and aunt.

It sounds like you dealt with emotional abuse growing up and I am sorry that you experienced that from your father and aunt. And I hate to say the following, but I must. Your perspective of your African ancestry was bound to be skewed. I do find it interesting that you do not mention your relationships with your Italian American relatives.

But it is now time to seek professional help to deal with your issues and move on.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Stress View Post
Bingo! Ice T is perfect example. What vpunk forgot to mention is that the same study he quotes says that about 10% of
"Black Americans" are under 50% African genetically. Ice-T had two "Black" parents and is obviously racially mixed according to the ODR (One Drop Rule) However ,I bet if you called Ice -T a Mulatto or even biracial you would problably get cursed out!
I just read up on Ice T: he looks like a "Black" dude to me.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
This post is very telling...

I think we now have been enlightened to the root of your problem....your Black father and aunt.

It sounds like you dealt with emotional abuse growing up and I am sorry that you experienced that from your father and aunt. And I hate to say the following, but I must. Your perspective of your African ancestry was bound to be skewed. I do find it interesting that you do not mention your relationships with your Italian American relatives.

But it is now time to seek professional help to deal with your issues and move on.
I think you're right. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.