Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 02:05 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,108 times

Advertisements

I will simply say what most already know: the average African immigrant can run circles around the average American born black (no jokes about Ethiopian marathon winners)

So many African immigrants come to America and quickly become engineers, doctors, business people etc. it boggles the mind.

For example, the most educated immigrant group in the US are not Koreans, not Indians, not any group from Europe, but Nigerians:

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/...states/113200/

Compare this to black Americans:

Grim graduation rates for black males highlight racial gap | theGrio

So, 54% of Nigerian Americans either have a Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree, yet only 47% of black American men graduate from HIGH SCHOOL

Not to mention that programs like Affirmative Action help...but they don't seem to help black Americans.

Top Colleges Take More Blacks, but Which Ones? - New York Times

So, why is it that blacks from Africa can succeed while black Americans cant? It seems odd, even though black Americans already speak the language and understand the culture.

It can't be racism, considering that black Africans are blacker than black Americans.

Or maybe it has something to do with the culture of American blacks? Yes, I know I am not suppose to say it, but perhaps listening to "gangsta rap" and having children by the litter out of wedlock, refusing to speak proper English or pursue education for fear of "acting white" and celebrating the criminal hip-hop culture isn't good for black America?

I know, I know, racist crazy talk... we all know "the white man" is holding black American down and that he just thinks Africans are somehow white.

Here's another "self hating, racist black man" saying essentially the same thing:

Blacks are Screwed By no one else but Themselves - YouTube

Also...I have noticed it is MORE LIKELY for black Africans to have REGULAR SOUNDING NAMES than black Americans: I have met Nigerian Pauls, a Pierre from Cameroon and Mohammad from Senegal...as opposed to "Jameak" from Detroit, "Lashonda" from Newark and "Rashockall" from Atlanta. At what point exactly did black American's go crazy with the names?

Old 05-26-2012, 02:47 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,247 times
I would love to say it is because we have a better education system here in most of Africa, but that is not what it is. What you are finding are the lucky few that have the means to higher education and come to America.

Black kids here tend to want education as their parents were denied it in the past.

Many here are still not very educated and that is because class has been traditionally drawn on racial lines too. They are not stupid by any means. I think a lot has to do with attitude.

Considering 400 years ago, the black man in Africa had not yet discovered the wheel and were then assimilated into advanced western culture (those not exported as slaves) and were given basic schooling to prepare them as labourers and servants so we whities could communicate with them.

Perhaps in the US, the black man has lost his culture and developed one that is still young and probably foreign to the folk still in Africa?

I really cannot see that the US was any different to SA in this regard and if anyone is to blame it is the way they were treated in the past. When you dispense with prejudice, you find their value systems are pretty much the same as everyone else's.

When you apply a western mindset to them, they seem backward and it is the same in reverse.

One example I can cite, in 54 years in Africa, I have never seen a black parent hit a child in public and the few times I have been in their traditional settings, I have not seen it either.

So really, who is more humane?

Old 05-26-2012, 04:44 AM

566 posts, read 958,545 times
OP, why are you asking a question you already know the answer to?

The answer to your question is priorities and many African Americans have different priorities and an entirely different mindset than African immigrants. If someone isn't doesn't place a high value on education, then they just don't. It's really that simple.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:09 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I will simply say what most already know: the average African immigrant can run circles around the average American born black (no jokes about Ethiopian marathon winners)

So many African immigrants come to America and quickly become engineers, doctors, business people etc. it boggles the mind.

For example, the most educated immigrant group in the US are not Koreans, not Indians, not any group from Europe, but Nigerians:

Nigerian Diasporas are the most educated immigrants in the United States, Articles | THISDAY LIVE

Compare this to black Americans:

Grim graduation rates for black males highlight racial gap | theGrio

So, 54% of Nigerian Americans either have a Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree, yet only 47% of black American men graduate from HIGH SCHOOL

Not to mention that programs like Affirmative Action help...but they don't seem to help black Americans.

So, why is it that blacks from Africa can succeed while black Americans cant? It seems odd, even though black Americans already speak the language and understand the culture.

It can't be racism, considering that black Africans are blacker than black Americans.

Or maybe it has something to do with the culture of American blacks? Yes, I know I am not suppose to say it, but perhaps listening to "gangsta rap" and having children by the litter out of wedlock, refusing to speak proper English or pursue education for fear of "acting white" and celebrating the criminal hip-hop culture isn't good for black America?

I know, I know, racist crazy talk... we all know "the white man" is holding black American down and that he just thinks Africans are somehow white.

Here's another "self hating, racist black man" saying essentially the same thing:

Blacks are Screwed By no one else but Themselves - YouTube

Also...I have noticed it is MORE LIKELY for black Africans to have REGULAR SOUNDING NAMES than black Americans: I have met Nigerian Pauls, a Pierre from Cameroon and Mohammad from Senegal...as opposed to "Jameak" from Detroit, "Lashonda" from Newark and "Rashockall" from Atlanta. At what point exactly did black American's go crazy with the names?
Quote:
They said that only about a third of the students were from families in which all four grandparents were born in this country, descendants of slaves. Many argue that it was students like these, disadvantaged by the legacy of Jim Crow laws, segregation and decades of racism, poverty and inferior schools, who were intended as principal beneficiaries of affirmative action in university admissions.
I agree with this 100%, I don't understand why programs are not specifically designed for this group. In my business school, out of the 11 Blacks only 1 fit this criteria, all four grandparents were born here and were Black. Another one had 2 grandparents born here but the other two were from the Caribbean. The rest of us were either immigrants or the children of immigrants.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:15 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
I would love to say it is because we have a better education system here in most of Africa, but that is not what it is. What you are finding are the lucky few that have the means to higher education and come to America.

Black kids here tend to want education as their parents were denied it in the past.

Many here are still not very educated and that is because class has been traditionally drawn on racial lines too. They are not stupid by any means. I think a lot has to do with attitude.

Considering 400 years ago, the black man in Africa had not yet discovered the wheel and were then assimilated into advanced western culture (those not exported as slaves) and were given basic schooling to prepare them as labourers and servants so we whities could communicate with them.

Perhaps in the US, the black man has lost his culture and developed one that is still young and probably foreign to the folk still in Africa?

I really cannot see that the US was any different to SA in this regard and if anyone is to blame it is the way they were treated in the past. When you dispense with prejudice, you find their value systems are pretty much the same as everyone else's.

When you apply a western mindset to them, they seem backward and it is the same in reverse.

One example I can cite, in 54 years in Africa, I have never seen a black parent hit a child in public and the few times I have been in their traditional settings, I have not seen it either.

So really, who is more humane?
This is actually a good point, I was seldom spanked. I can't even recall a time my father hit me. In Ghanaian culture, kids are allowed a wide berth within predefined rules. Meaning most kids know the lines not to cross, don't disrespect elders and don't shame the family name. If you don't do that everything else can be corrected by teaching not hitting.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:39 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
OP, why are you asking a question you already know the answer to?

The answer to your question is priorities and many African Americans have different priorities and an entirely different mindset than African immigrants. If someone isn't doesn't place a high value on education, then they just don't. It's really that simple.
The question should be, why don't they? Hell, many don't even place a value on elementary education.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 AM

72 posts, read 170,594 times
African American Culture at-large is the most warped, backwards, self-pitying, counter-productive culture in all of the human species post-Enlightenment.

As long as African American "leaders" continue to defend hip hop's influence as something other than the anti-intellectual, bigoted, know-nothing frenzy of stupidity and hate that it is, it will never, ever change.

It doesn't matter than African Americans can get into medical school with mediocre grades while whites require stellar performance, Asians require almost ungodly performance and Indians better know a dean. We still have to beg African Americans just to apply.

If it's all about money and "hoes" and acquiring the most materialism for the least effort, how can it possibly get better?

Old 05-26-2012, 06:29 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,800 times
How strange and ironic that although the Africans may have outperformed every group of people imaginable, the poster only sees fit to high light African Americans as the group left behind.

Obvious agenda to push...

Quote:

Old 05-26-2012, 06:45 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,598 times
To many Blacks in America (and their liberal White enablers) education is something that is given to you, rather than something that you seek. This is why we constantly see articles about how schools are failing Black students, when really we should be reading about how Black students are failing to take advantage of their educational opportunities.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:52 AM

566 posts, read 958,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The question should be, why don't they? Hell, many don't even place a value on elementary education.
Because many probably don't care that much and are perfectly fine with their current situation. For many Black people, sex, partying, hanging out, and getting easy money are much higher on the priority list than going to school, studying, going to college, getting a decent job, and working hard 40-50-60-70-80 hours a week with the hopes of eventually making a solid middle/upper middle/upper class living.

The bottom line is that you can't force someone to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies