Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 06:02 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,516,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
That's just great, something else for Sean Hannity to whine about for a couple of weeks...
Heck yeah! This comment proves why FOX is the number-one rated news network. FOX reporters and announcers have no problem calling our heroes what in reality, they are. Viewers know this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 06:14 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,015,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I can say it. I am deeply respectful for what they did, and I think they always deserve to be treated with honor.
This.

I have nothing but the deepest respect for our military and those who serve. Most of my family has served. However, I do think the word "hero" is thrown around a bit too much.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:23 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,417,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Review your post. I recall Clinton's "nation-building".
Funny that your post, to the word, can be applied to leftist radicals, with the exception of two words: "Republican" and "patriots".
Actually, it just shows that rightwing extremists are incapable of independent thought and use projection when the truth gets too painful.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:39 PM

1,328 posts, read 3,165,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Seriously? He had to pick Memorial Day weekend for this?

"The TV host said: 'I think it is very difficult to talk about the war dead and the fallen without invoking valor, without invoking the words "heroes".
'I feel... uncomfortable, about the word because it seems to me that it is so rhetorically proximate to justifications for more war.'"

Granted he backpedaled but Memorial Day weekend isn't the time for this.

Read more: Chris Hayes: Outrage as TV host says he is 'uncomfortable' calling fallen soldiers 'heroes' | Mail Online
Finally someone said what a lot of people deep down think but are too afraid to admit!

Old 05-28-2012, 06:58 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
I have to agree with the OP. It's not the day to discuss this, just like you don't discuss the evil someone did the day of their funeral. I suppose Chris Hayes thought he was being very profound, but this affected me like a screed about fathers in my local paper on father's day. Both of my parents were veterans, and I would give anything to see them again.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,787,198 times
Help Restore the Traditional Day of Observance of Memorial Day

Old 05-28-2012, 07:11 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Unconvincing. I'm old enough to remember when Memorial Day was always May 30. While people obviously didn't get a three day weekend every year; they also weren't out putting flowers on graves (any more than is done now), going to solemn ceremonies, etc. Mostly, it was a day off in the middle of the week, swimming pools usually opened that day, and people picnicked, swam and visited.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,799,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Seriously? He had to pick Memorial Day weekend for this?

"The TV host said: 'I think it is very difficult to talk about the war dead and the fallen without invoking valor, without invoking the words "heroes".
'I feel... uncomfortable, about the word because it seems to me that it is so rhetorically proximate to justifications for more war.'"

Granted he backpedaled but Memorial Day weekend isn't the time for this.

Read more: Chris Hayes: Outrage as TV host says he is 'uncomfortable' calling fallen soldiers 'heroes' | Mail Online
This guy is a radical MSNBC leftist....what would you expect?

He's done the apology thing too.

Remember, quite a large swath of the Left does not view the military with respect and love, in fact they abhor all they stand for.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...es_645956.html

Quote:
MSNBC Host Issues Apology for Saying He's 'Uncomfortable' with Calling Fallen Soldiers 'Heroes'

Old 05-28-2012, 11:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,575,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This guy is a radical MSNBC leftist....what would you expect?
I didn't expect anything. I don't know this guy from Adam. I don't watch cable news.

Quote:
He's done the apology thing too.
He's still a tool.

Quote:
Remember, quite a large swath of the Left does not view the military with respect and love, in fact they abhor all they stand for.
I know you need to believe that, but it doesn't make it true.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 PM

154 posts, read 452,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Only a liberal reporter on MSNBC could stoop so low today.

Is he going to tell her that her son isn't a hero?
Why is her son a hero?. He was getting paid to be a soldier, that was is job. Perhaps he became a soldier to go to war. if soldiers go to war and come back after killing, enemies, woman and children, for what ever reason. is an ocasion to celebrate. but if they get kill, people act like if they were inocent, and were taken advantage of them. they went to another country and invaded that country, and that country is in wrost shape than before. its not like if they where protecting america from invation or something. And get ready couse we might invade iran with the same pretext we use to invade irak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies