Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 AM

707 posts, read 684,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Why do people quote Bible verses like it's fact and think I'll simply agree with them?
Maybe there is a deeper meaning thay are trying to get across to you.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:29 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,324,752 times
Quote:
Why do people quote Bible verses like it's fact and think I'll simply agree with them?
Because the bible is called "the word of God". Doesn't leave much room for being wrong.

The problem with most people who quote the bible, for whatever reason, is that they haven't read the whole thing to understand that a lot of it contradicts itself.

For example, God is a man of war, then God became a man of peace.

So which one is it? You can't be both at the same time. Or how do we get over the fact its ok to sell your daughter, or that polygamy was practiced by Abraham and other patriarchs of the 3 big religions, and encouraged by God himself.

Yet, they'll quote verse saying that marriage is of one man and one woman?

Both lines are in the bible, but which one to follow? All of the homosexual forbidding laws were mainly in the old testament. Yet, when you bring up old testament law "we don't have to follow those rules, Jesus fulfillied those laws".

Its a never ending calamity of open mouth, insert foot, when you consider the bible the "word of God".

Seeing as it was put together by Roman priests more then 500 years after Christ lived, and that some books were excluded (revalations was hotly debated on whether not to put it in), and hell, even the Roman Catholic (the first Christian church) has more books in their bible then protestants have in theirs.

Its a book of reference, it may have been inspired by God sometimes, but it was written by men, and flawed because of the latter.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,983,953 times
Quote:
Here is another quote from 2,500 years ago about current events for all you non-believers Issiah 17:1 The burden of Damascus,Behold,Damascus is taken away from being a city and shall be a ruinous heap.

Read on thru to the end verse 14 and what happens to the enemies of Israel.

DAMASCUS is the oldest inhabited city in the world soon to be a pile of rubble with all those poor children being slaughtered by a evil man and the nations clamoring for war.

Hope and Change is coming but not from Barack Obama.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Here is another quote from 2,500 years ago about current events for all you non-believers Issiah 17:1 The burden of Damascus,Behold,Damascus is taken away from being a city and shall be a ruinous heap.

Read on thru to the end verse 14 and what happens to the enemies of Israel.

DAMASCUS is the oldest inhabited city in the world soon to be a pile of rubble with all those poor children being slaughtered by a evil man and the nations clamoring for war.

Hope and Change is coming but not from Barack Obama.

Ezekiel 16:49-50:
Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:58 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,147,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
MAYBE THEY AREN'T THINKING ABOUT YOU AT ALL.......

Maybe they could care less...
LOL, then that would exclude them as true spiritual individuals with a foundation in spiritual love. Hahaha! Which of course is what "Faith" is supposed to be all about.

Thanks for the good laugh.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM

454 posts, read 760,114 times
Everyone should read, God is not great. How religion poisons everything." by Christopher Hitchens. Once you get on this side of the fence, the other starts looking silly.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,269,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Yep. Faith precludes reason. As a Catholic I believe that the bread and wine at Mass are transformed into the actual body and blood of Christ. Do I recognize how insane this makes me sound to people who aren't Catholics? Absolutely. And I'm ok with that.
I appreciate your honesty

Old 05-31-2012, 06:14 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,269,073 times
What pisses me off is that these religious extremists ALWAYS quote the Old Testament...the WRONG one. Great as the stories are, the OT is a brutish set of stories under the heel of one big ******* of a god with little redeeming value, and painfully lacks any resemblance to what Jesus was all about. It's all sodomites and heathens boiling in sulfur as it rains from the sky with angels bearing flaming swords.

There's no historical backing for a lot of it too. There is no archeological evidence that the Israelites were in Egypt -- Egyptians only took captured foes as slaves, mostly from the Nubian empire to the south (wow, Black people have never had it easy). The parting of the Red Sea is a mistranslation, the Israelites escaped the Pharaoh through the Nile Delta marsh called the "Sea of Reeds." In the original translations, the Egyptian chariots were stuck and consumed by the marsh as the Israelites, lighter on foot, were able to escape (if any of that happened). The flood is a derivative of the Sumerian tale of the Tigris and Euphrates over flowing and flooding the fertile crescent. Cain is also not the father of all dark-skinned people.

If your gonna run that far-right evangelist malarkey, please pick the right book

Old 06-01-2012, 12:19 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,933,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
Everyone should read, God is not great. How religion poisons everything." by Christopher Hitchens. Once you get on this side of the fence, the other starts looking silly.
Should be a banned book - but feel free to be deluded if you wish.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
What pisses me off is that these religious extremists ALWAYS quote the Old Testament...the WRONG one. Great as the stories are, the OT is a brutish set of stories under the heel of one big ******* of a god with little redeeming value, and painfully lacks any resemblance to what Jesus was all about. It's all sodomites and heathens boiling in sulfur as it rains from the sky with angels bearing flaming swords.

There's no historical backing for a lot of it too. There is no archeological evidence that the Israelites were in Egypt -- Egyptians only took captured foes as slaves, mostly from the Nubian empire to the south (wow, Black people have never had it easy). The parting of the Red Sea is a mistranslation, the Israelites escaped the Pharaoh through the Nile Delta marsh called the "Sea of Reeds." In the original translations, the Egyptian chariots were stuck and consumed by the marsh as the Israelites, lighter on foot, were able to escape (if any of that happened). The flood is a derivative of the Sumerian tale of the Tigris and Euphrates over flowing and flooding the fertile crescent. Cain is also not the father of all dark-skinned people.

If your gonna run that far-right evangelist malarkey, please pick the right book
What really gets me is that they'll quote old testament law, then say that they don't have to follow it because Jesus didn't abolish the law, but fulfilled it.

Now, forgetting that the gospels have different stories in each, how does one rationally reconcile that? We can have church on Sunday, and eat pork, because Jesus fulfilled the law, but you can't be homosexual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Should be a banned book - but feel free to be deluded if you wish.
Only idiots want to ban books, like the nazis. If the ideas in it are so wrong, so deluded, then it poses no threat to you. Now, if it sheds light on the lunacy that is organized religion, and that scares you, then by all means ask for its banning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies