Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Why do people quote Bible verses like it's fact and think I'll simply agree with them?
Why does this bother you? Just ignore them, and move on.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
The Bible is not fact-based. Science has proven that. It is full of myths (Great Flood, for example). It is not for literal interpretation, although it contains great wisdom in the fables it conveys.
I'm sure you could provide a link to your "facts"......

Old 07-08-2013, 08:15 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Why does this bother you? Just ignore them, and move on.
What's even funnier is when non-believers do the same......for the most part it's not the whole verse, usually just a part and hoping no one else has read the Bible to know it's been taken out of context or interpreted wrong. It's a great gotcha moment........

Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I suppose it's because they believe in the Bible. Can you prove what they are quoting is not correct? I don't think so.
And you will hear this over and over, they cannot prove their bible is correct, nor that their god is real or the right god even. The bible is not in its original context and has not been for well over a thousand years. It is nothing more than a collection of tale, stories and anecdotes, Aesops fables has as much base in developing morals as does the bible, but they are both books written by man and rewritten over and over and revised over and over to suit changing times, changing ruling powers. The challenge is for those that believe it is true to prove it is true, for no proof exists, just a lot of "it is what it is" without questioning.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:40 AM

733 posts, read 1,046,900 times
Quote:
Why do people quote Bible verses like it's fact
because.. it is.

the sooner you learn to accept that, the better off you will be.

cheers!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
And you will hear this over and over, they cannot prove their bible is correct, nor that their god is real or the right god even. The bible is not in its original context and has not been for well over a thousand years. It is nothing more than a collection of tale, stories and anecdotes, Aesops fables has as much base in developing morals as does the bible, but they are both books written by man and rewritten over and over and revised over and over to suit changing times, changing ruling powers. The challenge is for those that believe it is true to prove it is true, for no proof exists, just a lot of "it is what it is" without questioning.
sadly, this is really close to the truth. the bible was twisted and perverted by those in power to suit their needs back in the day. this was the norm.

its interesting to point out how few references there are to homosexuality in the bible though. its still wrong, just not mentioned as much as some of my fellow catholics/christians think it is.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:49 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
What about looking at it as a 2000 year old document? Take it at face value. Much of the wisdom in it is still applicable and true today.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
sadly, this is really close to the truth. the bible was twisted and perverted by those in power to suit their needs back in the day. this was the norm.

its interesting to point out how few references there are to homosexuality in the bible though. its still wrong, just not mentioned as much as some of my fellow catholics/christians think it is.
See this is why I do not go to organized sugarcoating churches they allowed gay couples in to worship without chastising them but berate me for my short comings ....judge not less you be judged I chose not to be part of a pharisaim organization.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
See this is why I do not go to organized sugarcoating churches they allowed gay couples in to worship without chastising them but berate me for my short comings ....judge not less you be judged I chose not to be part of a pharisaim organization.
im pretty sad with how the catholic church has handled recent events that have come to light with even more evidence ala the sex 'scandal'.

its sad that they would shuffle them around (if proven to be true) like that instead of throwing them out like they should have.

God teaches forgiveness, but sometimes a point must be made: crap like that has NO PLACE in God's kingdom.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:03 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Why do people quote Bible verses like it's fact and think I'll simply agree with them?
What's even worse IMO is when they quote only certain verses as if they are fact while completely ignoring others that don't suit their agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies