Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:57 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Yep. Faith precludes reason. As a Catholic I believe that the bread and wine at Mass are transformed into the actual body and blood of Christ. Do I recognize how insane this makes me sound to people who aren't Catholics? Absolutely. And I'm ok with that.

Archie Bunker on Faith - YouTube

Old 05-28-2012, 10:58 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I suppose it's because they believe in the Bible. Can you prove what they are quoting is not correct? I don't think so.
Yes there are parts of the bible that are demostrably false like Levitus 11:5-6. Rabbits cannot produce cud so they cannot chew cud.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:04 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,327,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Those sources are at least occasionally backed up with facts.

Bible verses, as most frequently used, are simply an appeal to authority. No factual support, just a verse carefully chosen to back up someone's personal opinion.
And those sources tend to routinely lie, cover up or not even reveal the truth to the masses for some ulterior motive, which inevitably harms the general public at-large. What you and everyone else should be questioning is how people interpret scripture.

Last edited by tillman7; 05-28-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-28-2012, 11:04 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Hey if you want to go by some exalted prince, who feared Marduk that s fine by me, I'll just keep praying for you........I prefer the inspired word of the Lord!!!!!
BTW most if delt with contract law,wages military service etc...........
You said that the laws were from the bible, I just pointed out that they were in effect long before the bible was written. By a pagan religion no less.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Actually, I choose to be pretty unreflexive about it at this point in order to be ok with that dissonance. I actually dated a guy for a bit who talked about my "magical thinking," which I found to be a very polite way of saying, "You're nuts!" I get that it's totally irrational, but that's faith.

I will admit, however, that I think it takes guts to just throw religion out the door. For me it just seems pretty scary, so I guess part of it is also emotional, which is not surprising given that it helps put reason on hold.
Thank you for being so honest about it especially the part about putting reason on hold.
That's what some religious people will not accept and they continue mindlessly to try and prove the unprovable..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I think you hit on most people's reason for not throwing religion out. It purposefully injects fear into people, not only with the hell nonsense but also and probably even more potent, the fear of being socially ostracized. Without that well cultivated fear, why would any reasonable person persist in doing what they know is completely irrational.
I think you explained it very well!!

Old 05-28-2012, 11:12 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Religious meatheads. What can I say?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:23 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Actually, there is a lot in the Bible that is sound advice and common sense. It isn't all about worshiping a Higher Being.

Ex: "Cast your bread upon the waters and it shall return to you a hundredfold."

"As a man thinks in his heart, so he is."

Don't steal, don't lie, treat people fairly, be kind to other people, etc.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:32 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
I have to admit that during a conversation/discussion on here if someone uses scripture or a verse or quotation from the Bible as an opening statement the first thing that goes through my head is that they lack an ability to think for themselves. It's the same if they say "The Bible says........" and assume that i will accept that as fact.

However that isn't always the case. There are some on here that quite obviously are believers and can hold a discussion without using the Bible to fall-back on but are able to think and use the Bible as part of their analysis of the topic. They use it to support their argument not as their argument.

Some believe that God created man in his image and that God is able to think for himself. Some believe that God created man in his image and that God is an unthinking follower.

Just my thoughts..

Old 05-28-2012, 11:37 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Why do some people who judge others for not believing in what they believe in only follow parts of the Bible they find convenient?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:43 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And news is sometimes firsthand. The bible is a translation of a translation of a translation of a translation that was repeatedly edited by rulers.
And then translated again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies