Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support public sector unions?
Yes 49 36.03%
No 86 63.24%
Not sure 1 0.74%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times

Advertisements

I like GregW's answer. Just think every 2 years a new set of cronies either from the right or left comes in and has to learn a job,just think of the wasted tax dollars. Any politician who tells you that public service unions hurt you are lying for political gain. In pre-responce its about time our non-union employees start learning to talk to there employers about pay and bennies. The public sector is not over paid by any means. Yes there are stories about the overpaid, you will find that those are in area's such that a higher cost of living(ie.NYC) means higher incomes, public sector workers in the SE are not overpaid and could use a little representation.
People in the private sector need to start looking around finding wage rates. Instead of saying how come the public sector makes so much(not) it should be how come I am not paid more and why are my bennies not as good as the public sector (politicians). If you sit back and believe everything that Corp.backed Politicians tell you, then you wind up with continued deflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:49 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Public sector unions exist because there's a demand for the service they provide.

I say, "let the market decide."

But America's corporate owners have now identified these organizations as their primary target. After all, these corporate kingpins can't increase their executive bonuses by allowing them to continue to exist. And besides, they function to protect middle class workers.

Can't have any of that now, can we?

So, public sector unions serve as a convenient red herring to distract the "low information" segment of the public, who tend to vote GOP.

But RWNJs blindly get in line to support whatever today's vapid "issue" fed to them by their favorite right wing media outlet, controlled by the same money that ships their jobs to China.
Speaking of "low information" voters....

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sorta hard to let a free market decide when a government gun forces unions on the taxpayers/ employers.

You'll have to explain that comment. If you can.

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Make them all self employed, and let them have so many choices.

If I had a big business and the employees unionized, I'd close the doors the next day, and reopen under a new name and start over.
So sad, too bad. I manage my business, not the employees, that are easily replaced.
The beauty of the "free market system" employees mean nothing to the "JOB creators".

If you are running a business and your employees unionize it means you are a bad manager. During the time to vote in a union you have plenty of time to find out the issues and correct them.

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't. In my opinion, government employees should not be allowed to unionize.
No.

In addition no unions, government employees at all levels should be forced to sign a waiver forfeiting their 1st, 4th and 5th Amendment rights.

There is nothing more obnoxious or contradictory than a government employee, especially a police officer, invoking and refusing to give testimony, or lying to protect others. They should be terminated with forfeiture of all benefits (and that includes Social Security and Medicare).

Opining...

Mircea

Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Opps voted wrong damnit now I am a ******* for the day.
And a conservitard for LIFE ?

That's
like the death penalty without the highlights

Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Speaking of "low information" voters....
On a forum that sees its fair share of dumb posts, this one stands out.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
On a forum that sees its fair share of dumb posts, this one stands out.
You are correct. Your post DOES stand out as being quite dumb.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
I don't. In my opinion, government employees should not be allowed to unionize.

We elect representatives to look out for our own interests...
Interestingly enough, those we elect are allowed to unionize as parties, and those that are hired shouldn't be?

Old 05-29-2012, 08:22 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
There's also a conflict of interest between public sector unions and Democrats holding office. Democrats want to hire as many government workers as possible, pay them wages and benefits that are as generous as possible, all so that union workers will do more to get them reelected.
That's it right there but it's not JUST union workers since the whole government isn't union members. The reason why Democrats want to grow the government is the same reason they want to get more people on food stamps. The government workers will keep voting their paycheck raises like the food stamp recipients keep voting for their freebies. Democrats buy their voters with taxpayer money. The federal government unions benefit with more members. Both the unions and the Democrats lose out if the federal government is downsized.

Think of Obamacare, with its large number of federal hires, as a backdoor way to grow the Democrat base. And you thought it was about healthcare. New regulations - same thing. Need new federal hires to go with those new regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies