Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 05:51 PM

694 posts, read 745,892 times

Advertisements

Many times within these forums, I read someone saying that it is OK to vote for something if it is based on logic and reason and from an enlightened mind or whatever interpretation of that you like while being told voting for the same thing because of my religious convictions is bad, or voting against it due to religious reasons is bad. People tell me that it's because "not everyone believes as you do". Why should I be "asked" to vote for something with which I disagree while people on the other side are apparently not being asked to vote for things with which they disagree because not everyone believes what THEY do either! I always vote my convictions but for a society that is supposed to be SO open and free, freedom of thought seems to be constricted FROM many of those on the political left.

Charles Sands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 05:54 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
My thoughts are if you are voting to deny rights to people who are harming no one, it is wrong.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:57 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,854,517 times
If your religious convictions are leading you to vote in ways that cause harm to others or restrict their choices, you are hurting people. It's also an attempt to force those others to follow your belief.

It's one thing to have a religious conviction that the color blue is sinful and should never be worn. You and I can agree to disagree and both go on our way. But if you vote that I should never wear and if I do I should be flogged...we can't agree to disagree anymore. It's no longer about freedom of thought...your 'thought' is now restricting my freedom. You are forcing me to follow the tenets of your religion.

That's why it's wrong. It's an act of aggression. You are taking a choice you are making for yourself and inflicting it on others.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:58 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,507,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Many times within these forums, I read someone saying that it is OK to vote for something if it is based on logic and reason and from an enlightened mind or whatever interpretation of that you like while being told voting for the same thing because of my religious convictions is bad, or voting against it due to religious reasons is bad. People tell me that it's because "not everyone believes as you do". Why should I be "asked" to vote for something with which I disagree while people on the other side are apparently not being asked to vote for things with which they disagree because not everyone believes what THEY do either! I always vote my convictions but for a society that is supposed to be SO open and free, freedom of thought seems to be constricted FROM many of those on the political left.

Charles Sands
Religious convictions are not the "same thing" as logic and reason. Vote however it is you want to vote. You're the only one in the both. What anybody else says has no bearing on what you do while alone .

Old 05-28-2012, 05:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
My thoughts are if you are voting to deny rights to people who are harming no one, it is wrong.
Where do you get the ridiculous idea that voting based on religious convictions equates to "denying rights" to people?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:59 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,530,846 times
Quote:

Charles Sands

You speak as a man of wisdom.

Yes, vote your conscience. That's how I do my best to live my life. I don't compartmentalize my life. ALL is on the table, before my conscience.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:

Charles Sands
As long as you are not voting to impose your religious convictions on those who do not believe as you do, vote anyway you like.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Where do you get the ridiculous idea that voting based on religious convictions equates to "denying rights" to people?
North Carolina.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:49 PM

694 posts, read 745,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
If your religious convictions are leading you to vote in ways that cause harm to others or restrict their choices, you are hurting people. It's also an attempt to force those others to follow your belief.

It's one thing to have a religious conviction that the color blue is sinful and should never be worn. You and I can agree to disagree and both go on our way. But if you vote that I should never wear and if I do I should be flogged...we can't agree to disagree anymore. It's no longer about freedom of thought...your 'thought' is now restricting my freedom. You are forcing me to follow the tenets of your religion.

That's why it's wrong. It's an act of aggression. You are taking a choice you are making for yourself and inflicting it on others.
So if 60% or some other majority of the voting population thinks this or that - that is not a Constitutional right - should be wrong, we have to act like its not? For example, marriage is not a right. I know it was ruled to be a right some time ago, but the Fed. Gov't doesn't recognise it for homosexuals. So I guess it isn't a right for them afterall. So, let's take gay marriage. I see homosexuality in the news, TV, movies and in public seemingly all over the place but that is not inflicting things on me? We are told all the time to "keep your religion in your church" while the rest of society is effectively saying "we can do all of the things you don't want anywhere we want" I can tolerate these things and I won't say to them "you can't do that", but it seems to be that society is saying, like to children, "you religious people need to just sit in the corner because you don't have the right to not be subjected to us [which is true] but WE have the right not to be subjected to you" [which is wrong]! Aside from the Constitutional rights you are guarenteed, you don't necessarily have any.

Charles Sands

Old 05-28-2012, 06:56 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
Quote:

Charles Sands
Nothing wrong with that.

kalima - indiana jones - YouTube

As long as they're not killing my chickens. I can kill my own, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies