Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not at all. I don't think sex with animals should be legal. But I do think marriage with animals should be legal. The two are totally different.

I know a lot of people who would like to marry their dog, but would never consider sex with their dog.
You know a lot of people who want to 'marry' their dog?

Where do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Psychologically both incest and homosexuality are riddled with psycho-sexual dysfunction.

They're equally damaging in my opinion.
But we know this 'opinion' isn't based on any supported facts, so...

Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Both are considered abnormal or outside the normal human behavior. Just because a snake with two heads exists, doesn't mean it's the norm for snakes.

Thus incest and homosexaulity are both righfully compared.
Are there hundreds of millions of snakes born with two heads or is it a very rare phenomenon? It's a rare phenomenon.
Is incest an innate sexual orientation? No.

Irrational nonsensical comparisons.

/Fail.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:36 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Abraham married his half sister Sarah, had sex with his wife's slavewoman Hagar (and a son) and had children by his many sex concubines.

Great model for 'traditional' marriage yes?

From the father of the Judeo/Christian religions.
And Islam. Remember, they are all the true followers of Abraham.

Seriously, people who use that book as their definitive right or wrong, need to read it.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
God makes the rules, not man.
That's your idea of an opinion based on reason?

I'm just wondering, because that's what was asked of you.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:59 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
I keep seeing this thread pop up on here and am wondering now what makes some peoples inquisitive minds take a uturn like this and end up in a gutter? How can you even talk about incest in the same breath as homosexuality? Homosexuality is a preference and incest is a CRIME...end of story. Unless you have been thru an episode of having had a parent touch you inappropriately, or a sibling do the same thing you have no idea the difference between the two nor the horror it creates. What mature adults do behind closed doors sexually..mature adults who are NOT related is no ones business but theirs whether they are homosexual or hetrosexual it is a private concern. When incest is a known fact then it needs to be reported to the police and if its children involved, then they need to be REMOVED from the home. Nuff said.
I've come across two definitions of incest.

1) Sexual relations of any kind between family members.

2) Sexual abuse by a family member or other influential adult/role model in a child's life.

I don't think anyone is debating whether the second definition of incest is wrong. I can't imagine anyone who doesn't think sexual abuse is wrong. Even abusers know what they are doing is wrong because otherwise they wouldn't force their victims into shame and secrecy.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Not at all. If someone made eating pancakes illegal, would you just roll over and say "Well, it's a crime, so it's wrong"? Naturally, I'm not comparing incest with pancakes. But deciding that this is where you draw the line between right/wrong is a dangerous thing to do.

Seemingly, you agree with incest being a crime. Let's see why...

I did not claim there was no difference. Didn't even ask what the difference was. I asked what specifically makes one "okay" and not the other? (and I specified that I was talking about two consenting adults, not children)

So you are adamantly against incest between two consenting adults, so much that you would call the police if you knew about it?

Why?
I think you and PammyD are operating by different definitions of "incest". As someone who has read a lot of literature on sexual abuse, I've seen it used a lot to mean "a family member or other close adult who sexually abuses a child". As someone who has survived that definition of incest, there is no doubt in my mind that kind of incest is wrong (even though I'm not logically opposed to consensual incest, despite my own personal "ew" factor).

It seems to me that you are specifically referring to consensual family relationships (such as between adult siblings, or maybe even a parent and grown son/daughter). The latter certainly does exist. In fact there has even been some research done in the adoption field where some adoptees, upon meeting their biological parents, develop a sexual attraction for them. It seems like a strange phenomenon, but my completely uneducated guess would be that it's the natural parent-child bonding wiring turning on, later in life, which then translates to romantic interest.

Secrecy of Adoption Can Fuel Genetic Sexual Attraction - ABC News

Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 AM

The National Center for Victims of Crime - Library/Document Viewer

• Incest has been cited as the most common form of child abuse. Studies conclude that 43 percent (43%) of the children who are abused are abused by family members, 33 percent (33%) are abused by someone they know, and the remaining 24 percent (24%) are sexually abused by strangers (Hayes, 1990). Other research indicates that over 10 million Americans have been victims of incest.
  • Incest is defined as sexual contact between persons who are so closely related that their marriage is illegal (e.g., parents and children, uncles/aunts and nieces/nephews, etc.). This usually takes the form of an older family member sexually abusing a child or adolescent. (Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network, RAINN, 2008).
  • Incest is considered by many experts to be a particularly damaging form of sexual abuse because it is perpetrated by individuals upon whom the victim trusts and depends. In addition, support can also be lacking and pressure to keep silent powerful as fear of the family breaking up can be overwhelming to other family members. (Ibid).
  • Father-daughter and stepfather-daughter incest is most commonly reported, with most of the remaining reports consisting of mother/stepmother-daughter/son incest. Prevalence of parental child sexual abuse is difficult to assess due to secrecy and privacy; some estimates show 20 million Americans have been victimized by parent incest as children. (Jeffrey Turner, 1996).

Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Both are considered abnormal or outside the normal human behavior. Just because a snake with two heads exists, doesn't mean it's the norm for snakes.

Thus incest and homosexaulity are both righfully compared.
How do you define "normal human behavior"? If you mean common, then no it's not. But neither is being black, Jewish, blue-eyed, or left-handed.

By any logical meaning of the term normal, it's quite obvious that millions of gays make it normal, albeit not extremely common.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Are you homosexual? Because most most of them seem to disagree with you.
How do most gays disagree with him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies