Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
My main problem is the misuse of parental power in cases of parent child incest. Even if the child in question is of legal age there is still the question of grooming them to accept a relationship beyond parent/child. I can see coercion being a huge problem..
And how is that different than homosexuality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I
Incest also involves manipulation, lies and damage that lasts a lifetime even if its a teen.

What? Why does incest involve manipulation, lies and damage and homosexuality does not?

Why do you assume incest involves such things?

Every human is influenced by their environment.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And how is that different than homosexuality?
If you can't see the difference in a parent using parental power to get their child to do what they want, and two non related adults coming together. I feel sorry for you.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Simply put, incest leads to significant genetic deficiencies in offspring. .

So would you also prohibit reproduction of individuals who have a high chance of producing inferior offspring? Should ugly fat people be prohibited from marrying? Or people with very low IQ?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
If you can't see the difference in a parent using parental power to get their child to do what they want, and two non related adults coming together. I feel sorry for you.
We're talking adults, not children. Incest doesn't have to be with children any more than homosexuality does.

But if you can't see that adults of any sexual persuasion can and will influence their children to be like them, then I feel sorry for you.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
I actually think there's nothing inherently wrong with incest between two consenting adults as long as no children come from it, because the genetics of incest can lead to various kinds of diseases. If they want children they should adopt or use a sperm donor.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:09 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
So would you also prohibit reproduction of individuals who have a high chance of producing inferior offspring? Should ugly fat people be prohibited from marrying? Or people with very low IQ?
It's not just about being "deformed"--there are a ton of really painful diseases that can result that would normally have no chance of being expressed because they are from recessive genes. As someone who is blind, I have no problem with the idea of disability or "deformity" in and of itself, but I don't think it would be fair to risk causing a much higher level of suffering, such as a severely debilitating painful disease.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:13 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
(to mattee) So, you have your definition. But you are no different than those who believe marriage should be between one man and one woman only. You just choose to define marriage to suit your opinion, but still put restrictions on it.

You can't support homosexual marriage if you oppose other forms of non traditional marriage. That's hypocritical.
I don't think so. Those who say marriage (we're actually talking about sexual relations in general) should be between a man and woman only can't seem to give a reason pertaining to the well-being of individuals or society. On the subject of bestiality, "unconsentual" is a pretty strong point, as compared to "untraditional".

Quote:
We're talking adults, not children. Incest doesn't have to be with children any more than homosexuality does.
jjrose specified which cases they were referring to from the very beginning...

Quote:
My main problem is the misuse of parental power in cases of parent child incest. Even if the child in question is of legal age there is still the question of grooming them to accept a relationship beyond parent/child. I can see coercion being a huge problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's not just about being "deformed"--there are a ton of really painful diseases that can result that would normally have no chance of being expressed because they are from recessive genes.
I'd like to hear more about this! But I think Roadking makes a good point, or, at least according to one other person at Yahoo!, some nonrelated couples actually have a higher risk of producing offspring with mental retardation or deformities. As for these diseases, I'm not sure I've heard of them.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I actually think there's nothing inherently wrong with incest between two consenting adults as long as no children come from it, because the genetics of incest can lead to various kinds of diseases. If they want children they should adopt or use a sperm donor.

The best solution to marriage is to get government out of it. Marriage should be a religious event and defined by your religion. If I want to marry a fence post or a lizard, that should be OK with government.

And don't confuse marriage with sex.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:18 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
And don't confuse marriage with sex.
I think you're the only one here trying to talk about marriage, and it isn't part of the subject at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies