U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2012, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,052 posts, read 80,786,628 times
Reputation: 27699

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh yes, this is great. As long as everyone has a fridge and a TV, it's ok to pay CEO's obscene amounts of money while paying workers less, and cutting back on their benefits, and cutting back on the number of employees. But how are people going to get to work if they can't afford a car and gas and car insurance? Public transportation needs to be improved but to do that, taxes need to be increased on you-know-who. This says nothing of the people who work for businesses like Wal-Mart that provide inadequate health insurance, and cannot guarantee employees a 40-hr. workweek. Nor does it say anything about the families who have been made homeless due to job layoffs and the mortgage implosion.

Who said poor people have computers? The poor go to the public library to use computers.

Keep digging up justifications for abandoning your responsibility to the nation. Nice hobby. You're providing us with a real-life experience of what it must have been like during FDR's presidency, when accusations of "socialism" were daily fare.
Strange Facts about America
Public perception of poverty in the U.S. is governed by the mainstream media, which invariably depicts the Census Bureau’s tens of millions of poor people as chronically hungry and malnourished, homeless or barely hanging on in overcrowded, dilapidated housing.
..
Here are more surprising facts about Americans defined as “poor” by the Census Bureau, all taken from various government reports ..
● Fully 92 percent of poor households have a microwave; two-thirds have at least one DVD player and 70 percent have a VCR.
● Half have a personal computer; one in seven have two or more computers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2012, 05:43 AM
 
249 posts, read 184,762 times
Reputation: 77
People in lower socio-economic groups have higher rates of diseases because of lower rates of insurance. They typically have consumer goods at lower levels than those in higher groups (not 100% of the poor have televisions...obviously the rates rise as we go up the ladder). We see the schools perform worse and typically have lower funding on average. We see that teachers are younger in lower socio-economic schools. We also notice that the poor are more likely to work for wages that have stagnated while cost of living has increased (the poorest of the poor have actually seen their wages fall since Reagan). We also notice a decline of industrial employment which has contributed to the increase of poverty and an increase of wealth (automation and off-shorting of work has really lined the pockets of the rich, at the cost of putting people out of work). We also see that the poor are more likely to be religious and less likely to therefore believe in abortion or birth control (they tend to have slightly larger families). The poor are more likely to go hungry than those in higher socio-economic groups.

In what planet are these things caused simply by attitude?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 05:44 AM
 
249 posts, read 184,762 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Strange Facts about America
Public perception of poverty in the U.S. is governed by the mainstream media, which invariably depicts the Census Bureau’s tens of millions of poor people as chronically hungry and malnourished, homeless or barely hanging on in overcrowded, dilapidated housing.
..
Here are more surprising facts about Americans defined as “poor” by the Census Bureau, all taken from various government reports ..
● Fully 92 percent of poor households have a microwave; two-thirds have at least one DVD player and 70 percent have a VCR.
● Half have a personal computer; one in seven have two or more computers.

Half have a personal computer? That's really low in an age where a computer is needed to even get a job in many cases.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 AM
 
79,839 posts, read 41,316,961 times
Reputation: 16951
IMO the problem is not that there is a Gap or that CEO's make so much money. The problem is the last 4 years were we have placed the burden on the lower classes to maintain the gap and keep the wages high for CEO's.

With the massive debt we put people in to bail out the failed CEO's to the QE programs that simply created inflation to re-inflate Wall Street.

If a CEO legitimately leads a company to large profits, it's really none of my business what they make. When they fail though, it's also not my place to save them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 AM
 
4,428 posts, read 4,302,543 times
Reputation: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
....taxes need to be increased on you-know-who.
Wrong.



Quote:
This says nothing of the people who work for businesses like Wal-Mart that provide inadequate health insurance, and cannot guarantee employees a 40-hr. workweek.
Wal-Mart's health insurance is not inadequate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 06:23 AM
 
10,854 posts, read 8,932,775 times
Reputation: 3122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
First: You're wrong.

Second: What are you Democrats going to do? Mandate by law how much a company can pay it's executives?

Third: FDR's policies lengthened the Great Depression.
After Hoover's policies increased the severity of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 06:27 AM
 
10,854 posts, read 8,932,775 times
Reputation: 3122
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
IMO the problem is not that there is a Gap or that CEO's make so much money. The problem is the last 4 years were we have placed the burden on the lower classes to maintain the gap and keep the wages high for CEO's.

With the massive debt we put people in to bail out the failed CEO's to the QE programs that simply created inflation to re-inflate Wall Street.

If a CEO legitimately leads a company to large profits, it's really none of my business what they make. When they fail though, it's also not my place to save them.
So in essence you are saying it's none of your business that there is not enough middle class income in the American economy to help boost economic growth for EVERYBODY because CEOs and other wealthy Americans would rather keep their high salaries and profits invest them in the financial markets for speculative gains that do not create jobs and emerging market countries where they will build factories, research and development centers and other business and then ship jobs that used to be done by Americans to those countries.

How's that working for you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 06:32 AM
 
79,839 posts, read 41,316,961 times
Reputation: 16951
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
So in essence you are saying it's none of your business that there is not enough middle class income in the American economy to help boost economic growth for EVERYBODY because CEOs and other wealthy Americans would rather keep their high salaries and profits invest them in the financial markets for speculative gains that do not create jobs and emerging market countries where they will build factories, research and development centers and other business and then ship jobs that used to be done by Americans to those countries.

How's that working for you?
I'm going to guess that your house is full of cheap chinese items. I do as much as I can to purchase items made here.

If people want cheap crap, that is what will be made.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 AM
 
69,364 posts, read 61,432,567 times
Reputation: 9381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm wrong about what? That Wal-Mart doesn't guarantee a 40-hr week and employee benefits are inadequate? I'm wrong about the poor using computers at the public library? I'm wrong that people have been made homeless due to the economic downturn? Just what exactly are you referring to? "You're wrong" is a pretty vague statement.

The solution to runaway executive pay is to restore a tax system that taxes by over 50% the higher income brackets. That would stop runaway exec pay in its tracks. Before tax cuts for the rich began, executive pay was much more modest, and yet still quite enough to live comfortably.
Who is forcing you to work for wal mart? Whats wrong with using computers at the library? People will always be homeless, what you going to do, make it illegal?

How is taking a CEO's pay, going to solve any of that, and what the hell gives you the authority to determine how much they should make?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 06:34 AM
 
69,364 posts, read 61,432,567 times
Reputation: 9381
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
Half have a personal computer? That's really low in an age where a computer is needed to even get a job in many cases.
Why, because they cant get off their butt and walk into a store to fill out an application?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:04 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top