U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM

97,163 posts, read 95,054,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because it isn't great isn't a reason to not do it.
So, have at it! Enjoy your stay at your local homeless shelter and sharing computers with the homeless and the poor at the library.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 11:11 AM

33,031 posts, read 25,895,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I guess since they need a place to mail your paperwork, we should be providing everyone with housing as well, right? Dont stop there, without electricity, your alarm clock wont go off, so we need to pay for everyones electric bills.. Ooh and if you cant get a shower, you'll stink and get fired, guess we'll move onto free water for everyone soon!!

There's at least one place in town that offers free mail drop and phone services to the homeless - an address and a phone number for receiving mail and messages.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
There are such things. It's called government housing.

Government housing is usually not for sale, and to rent it you have to be lucky and/or wait for years to get it.

In the rare cases where government housing is for sale, the lucky leeches renting it usually get first option.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:34 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,649,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The fed gov't didn't "force" banks to give loans to people who couldn't afford, them, who do you think you're kidding?
Community Reinvestment Act of 1977. Look at the legislative changes as well as the inconsistent enforcement as well as pressure from groups like ACORN.

Quote:
The banks chose to do that, and you're right, they shouldn't have done it, it was a very bad business move based on greed.
Isn't greed about making money? Why would a bank give a loan to a very risky individual when they are greedy? If I were greedy, I would only loan money to people who I knew would pay it back with interest.

Quote:
Employing 1, 10, or a million people is not a byproduct of the quest for profit, it is the means to the quest for profit.
A business does not exist to give a person a job. If I start a company and can perform all of the required duties myself and make a profit, then I will hire no one. If I need help performing these duties, I'll hire someone that can make me more money than it costs to employ them.

Look at the way Newegg dot com works. They don't hire people to pull computer parts from their warehouses, they use robots to augment a barebones staff. These robots work 24x7x365 couriering parts from the shelves to an automated shipping department. They don't call in sick. They don't show up with a bad attitude. They work reliably and that's rare for a human.

Quote:
But keep trying to justify destroying the middle class and keeping people in poverty. You'll only dig yourself in deeper here. I'm selling tickets to this show, and making a bundle!
I'm not justifying the destruction of the middle class. I am dead set in the middle class. Good luck with your capitalist venture. Are you hiring?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:36 AM

79,839 posts, read 41,327,223 times
Quote:
So, have at it! Enjoy your stay at your local homeless shelter and sharing computers with the homeless and the poor at the library.
Why would I want to do that?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 AM

79,839 posts, read 41,327,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Government housing is usually not for sale, and to rent it you have to be lucky and/or wait for years to get it.

In the rare cases where government housing is for sale, the lucky leeches renting it usually get first option.
Perhaps I used the wrong descriptive but the government has built many single family homes around the country and sold them through FHA loans.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 AM

31,763 posts, read 27,665,082 times
Quote:
Since what?
Since when?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Perhaps I used the wrong descriptive but the government has built many single family homes around the country and sold them through FHA loans.

I think those "FHA homes" are privately built. FHA insures loans, doesn't build houses. Anyway my income is far too low to qualify for an FHA loan, so I remain a wealthless rent slave.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:51 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,719,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It IS perfectly OK for a private company to make the choice of what to pay their CEO, their employees, what benefits to offer and how many employees you need to run your PRIVATE business.

It's not OK to pretend that the definition of poor in this country means those people are starving to death, and living is squalor.
Poor is when you don't have anything left over after expenses. For instance if purchased can't get your car fixed after your bills are paid you are poor.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Community Reinvestment Act of 1977. Look at the legislative changes as well as the inconsistent enforcement as well as pressure from groups like ACORN.

I applied and was turned down. Where was CRA when I needed it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies